Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chamois Cream?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chamois Cream?

Old 05-13-02, 11:40 AM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois Cream?

Does anyone use a chammy cream on synthetic chamois? What are the advantages?

I dont have any saddlesores (yet!), or problems with my shorts; I just want to keep my shorts around for as long as posible.
Old 05-13-02, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Joe,

I've read that on synthetic chamois its not needed.
I personally don't use it and have had no problems.
however, as they say YMMV.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 05-13-02, 12:08 PM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh... the deep dark secret of cycling... butt lube!

I've never sued Chamois Creme itself, per se, though I know of some people who swear by it. I use Bag Balm on certain occasiona - (1) when I go for a long, 100 km + ride, (2) when my butt is sore from a previous ride, (3) when I ride offroad in wet conditions, (4) when I wear my Sugoi bibs with the unfortunate chamois stitching. I don't apply to the chamois, but to the part of my body that makes contact with the chamois the most.

The down side of Bag Balm is that it does tend to discolour the chamois [like I care].

You can use any of a number of products, from Chamois Butter to Bag Balm to hand lotion. The idea is the same -- it creates a thin lubricating layer between the chamois and your skin to prevent chafing. Back in the day, they used lard and olive oil, so go figure.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 05-13-02, 12:43 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assos chamois creme is great stuff. Applied to the skin or the chamois it prevents chafing reduces the incidence of saddle sores. If you don't think you need it, you probably don't need it. If it sounds like it would help, it will probably help.
Old 05-13-02, 01:08 PM
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh Yeahhh!

A lot of the cycling shorts being sold today at reasonable prices have artificial chamois or other materials. The true use of chamois butter isn't needed on those. Only directly on a real "leather" material that stiffens up after washing. Real chamois is just too expensive for my tastes.

I use chamois butter all the time on my skin. It definately helps with the chafing and on hot, long rides. The better butters (hey I like that) have lanolin and vitamin E and other type of lubricants. I've heard that the original Bag Balm is really good for saddle sores too. Hard to find in the city and easier to source in a Farm Supply store. I've seen other brands in the local pharmacy store too, but they are not as thick in consistency. Performance used to sell some that looked like bear grease (not that I've ever really seen bear grease and smelled sweet, but I think they discontinued it. It was funny that it would wear through the shorts and made my leather saddle all shiny and smooth. It did double-duty in that way.

If you don't need it, consider yourself fortunate. One thing for sure is that after a long ride, get the he** out of those damp shorts, take a shower and put on dry, clean clothes. That will cut down on the chances of saddle sores.
Old 05-13-02, 05:14 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Udderly smooth udder creme every ride. My shorts have synthetic chamois. I put the cream in the creases between my legs and, um, vitals to prevent chafing, not on the chamois. They carry it at the local W@l-Mart, farm supply stores, and building supply stores. It's also a good hand lotion for chapped skin, etc. I used to use Noxema, but that didn't cut it for me.
Old 05-14-02, 04:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noxema beauty creme: cheap, water soluble, doesn't plug pores, and works.

:edit: just reread roadbuzz's post... I'm always one step behind!
Old 05-14-02, 06:47 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by dirtsqueezer
just reread roadbuzz's post... I'm always one step behind!
The operative word is me. I read somewhere that Andy Hampsten used Noxema, and subsequently I used it for years. I just like Udder Creme better, and have been meaning to try Bag Balm.
Old 05-07-03, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart sells Bagbalm. I've used Chamios buttr, Bagbalm, Udderly smooth udder creme, Assos and petroleum jelly. I don't find much difference between petroleum jelly abd Bagbalm. I like Chamois Buttr the best because it isn't greasy, and it washes off very easily. The Assos had a weird warm and tingly feeling. I didn't like it much. Later.
Old 05-07-03, 10:24 PM
Project 1 , 8000 & T100

Bikes: Trek Project 1, Trek T100, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first Century last year and did not know anything about lubes. Well let me tell you I paid for the lack of knowledge. I was very sore. I was asked by one of the other riders, “well didn’t you lube up.” I was like what…
Now if I plan a ride longer than 30 miles I lube up. I use Chamios buttr, and it works great.

Old 05-08-03, 04:04 AM

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Chamios Butt'R works well for me. I did not have as good luck I apply to me in the affected areas and not to the chamios. Cheap insurance.
Old 05-08-03, 04:38 AM
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noxema. I know it may sound crazy but try it. I don't recall where I picked up the idea but on days when I'm feeling a little chaffed I'll put some noxema on the inside of my legs and it makes all the difference.

It works for me

Zack
Old 05-08-03, 08:20 AM
Carfree Retro Grouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is another misunderstanding from the history of cycling.

Chamois creme per say was used back in the old days when cycling shorts pads were made of . . . real chamois. When repeatedly washed, the chamois would dry out and become stiff over time similar to leather after it is wet and dries. The creme was used to recondition the chamois. It is totally UNNEEDED with modern synthetic chamois.

Now, the variety of products on the market today are not really for use on chamois, but intended for use on your nether regions as a lubricant on long rides. They are intended to prevent chafing and irritation from sweat (read salt). They also help when you had to take that mid-century dump and your you-know-what is less than totally clean.

By the way, my fav is Bag Balm, as used on the udders of milk cows since 1899.

Dave
Old 05-08-03, 09:27 AM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use lube all the time, long ride or not. Paceline butt buttr is what I've been using.
Old 05-08-03, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried a few of the products that have been talked about. All seem to work to diff. degrees. I had a bout with a persistent sore that hung around when i stepped up mileage. I went to a generic combination of antibiotic creme and cortizone creme. I not only got rid of sore without cutting back on riding but was more comfortable without discoloring the chamois. Use the creme and not the gel. And you can forget the jokes about washing shorts...they are cleaned at least every 300 miles...hehe
Old 05-08-03, 02:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that I need lube between my skin and what ever type of chamois I ride in. And after about 30 to 40 miles I have to reapply the lube. Well I was in REI today and found Chamois Buttr in little individual packs that will fit in either Jersey back pockets or under seat bag. Woohoo.
Old 03-22-09, 02:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted a review of 5 chamois creme products on my blog:

https://camp4.wordpress.com/2008/03/2...me-cheauxdown/
Old 03-22-09, 02:30 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
This thread is ANCIENT!

However, I'll repost something I recently posted in the Long Distance Forum:

If your bicycle is set up correctly, and you've got a good saddle, and you've developed good core muscles so you are sitting on the saddle properly ... you'll greatly reduce the chances of saddle sores.

I rarely use any creams at all on my rides. I did experiment with them one season, but found them to be sticky, messy, uncomfortable, and not worth it.

However, you do have to take care of your skin in really hot weather (because you sweat lots), and in rainy weather (because your shorts will be wet).

If you are sweating lots, it helps to stop at a gas station washroom, or something similar, along the way and wash yourself with water, then dry yourself well with paper towel. If you do not have the luxury of clean water and something to dry yourself with, baby wipes can help. Washing away the salt from the sweat helps reduce the chances of irritation.

If you know you'll be riding in rainy weather, a cream of some kind can help protect the skin. Wet skin is fragile skin.

After the ride, have a nice hot shower and wash well with soap and water. If you have no rashes or anything, you're good to go. If you do have a rash, apply some zinc oxide cream to the rash. You might want to wait till just before bed, and whether you are a male or female, I would recommend wearing boxer shorts to bed because zinc oxide cream is messy. In the morning you should be good to go.

122240 km ... and only one saddle sore.
Old 03-22-09, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lube up every ride. Apply directly on the skin.
Old 03-22-09, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
Does anyone use a chammy cream on synthetic chamois? What are the advantages?

I dont have any saddlesores (yet!), or problems with my shorts; I just want to keep my shorts around for as long as posible.
yep. assos. just a little pinch between the cheeks and gums.

ps - it's not about the shorts.
Old 03-22-09, 03:49 PM
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any opinions of the new vs. old formula Assos cream? It was amazing how quickly the old stuff disappeared once they changed the formula. Couldn't find it anywhere.

I really liked the old style Assos cream, but am doing OK so far with the new stuff. It actually seems to last a bit longer than the old formula. I do miss the tingle, though...
Old 03-22-09, 04:02 PM
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Always in wet weather......some parts do best when stayed at 37 deg C
and chamois helps that
Old 03-22-09, 07:50 PM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
another good option is sudocreme.
Old 05-26-10, 08:09 PM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Cow!!!! this is an old thread................. you mean people were asking this same question 8 years ago???? sheeshhhhhhh.......................
Old 05-27-10, 01:17 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1st post, and it's an amazingly positive personal "testimonial."

That almost NEVER happens!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.