Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot 103 from 70's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot 103 from 70's

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 10:08 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot 103 from 70's

Pearl white, Record Du Monde. (ser# 0429340 - U010M 57)
Ergal wheels/clement TIPOs, bad MAFACs, Christophes, and some close ratio

We recklessly spent our youth together. Brought it out today and I think maybe for sentiment alone I'll make her into a ride again. Anyone know of this bike? Can post pics - if you're interested. Would appreciate suggestions on wheels/comps or whether I should just face the facts- that part of my life is long gone, let go of whatever the hell it is that I'm clinging to thinking that this bike was the catalyist of all things that were good and cheap and fun and easy... and ante up and turn the bike along with the VCR collection, the 35mm cameras and everything else that been replaced by whatever's new and hip... over to my ever appreciative trashman for his pleasure or end of day beer money fund.

thanks for indulging me.
Old 03-19-05, 10:44 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
103 probably refers to carbolite tubing. Indicative of a lower end Peugeot. Not that that's bad; even the lower end makes a decent rider beater. Uo8? UO9? UO10? Need a picture, can likely get it from that.

Heck, fix it up and ride it. If the bike holds some memories, fix it up and have fun. I still have a PFN10E, purchased new in 1979... it has about two original parts left on it besides the frame (bottom bracket cups, rear derailleur, that's it, everything else is non-stock).

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-19-05, 10:55 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some pics. Late nite, bad lite pics. And it's not rust. It's sawdust. Feel free to shoot me an email.

Last edited by KirkeIsWaiting; 03-19-05 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-19-05, 11:02 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Looks like a UO10. Yep, should have read the serial number, it's right there, d'oh. It's late.

The UO10 is an upgraded version of the venerable UO8, with stronglight cotterless cranks (marked peugeot) and alloy rims. I have one, it is a servicable bike I use for hauling loads and the like. I'll be riding it tommorrow to get groceries, in fact. Not high end, but certainly capable. The one sticky point, aside from the french or swiss threading, is the seatpost size-- if yours is like mine, it's a 24.4 mm, hard to replace.

Old 03-19-05, 11:10 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I just saw your post, I was busy adding toes. Thanks, you know what it is. I've never dealt with a post problem 'cause I've never had a need to change it. I love the seat. So...worth investing a little in until I decide what I want to ride when I grow up? And what? I wish it were as easy as chosing a camera or a handbag....
Old 03-20-05, 02:52 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

I would overhaul the bike, replacing all bearings and adding new grease, replace the cables, housing, and bar tape. If the wheels are okay, keep 'em, but if they have a bunch of loose spokes or are way out of true, I'd find a new or better set of 27" wheels, probably scavenenging them off another bike, as I am wont to do. I would remove the seat post and stem, clean them, and put a bit of grease on each one, and re-install. Check the brake pads; if they are gone, replace with appropriate kool stops.

Then I'd ride it and enjoy.

Old 03-20-05, 04:34 PM

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondiale AB, Peugeot Performance 2000, Peugeot Triathlon, Peugeot Avoriaz, Trek 7000, Sparta citybike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting
Some pics. Late nite, bad lite pics. And it's not rust. It's sawdust. Feel free to shoot me an email.
After all those years, the feet are in better condition than the bike I think.

Maarten
Old 03-20-05, 04:43 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by platenspeler
After all those years, the feet are in better condition than the bike I think.

Maarten
The toes spend their days in work boots and their nites in cocktail shoes. I take particular care of them, they are pedicured and photgraphed often. They as well would like to see the bike restored and rideable again. Would anyone like to mentor me on the project? You'll be rewarded with humor.
Old 03-20-05, 06:06 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kirke,

Just went forty relative quick miles on my '68 UO8 this weekend. Love my bike. I'll tell you what yours needs most . . . RIDDEN!

Clean and repair. Live, Love, Laugh!!

Tyson
Old 03-20-05, 06:20 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim- Invaluable amount of info. Thanks! Right down to the grease. I'm a few years displaced from real riding and I'm eager, obviously, to get back on the road. Riding a beach cruiser in flip flops is not a qualifier.
That's the bike or at least the frame anyway. I'm sure I bought it before '81 and I bought it used. I changed out the wheels, gear and seat. I think it was steel wheels that made the bike really heavy. Much lighter with alum and slicks. So where do I begin? Dismantle and clean. And determine what's worth keeping. Do you have good online sources for parts?
thanks!
Old 03-20-05, 06:22 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The project at hand. That's exactly why I checked in here. This bike will get me back to riding again and naturally wanting something better!
Old 03-20-05, 06:42 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, so it was the bike they were oogling! I always thought it was me! (long blonde, blue and those fine italian bike shoes)

Am I opening up a can of worms I might not be able to handle here? I should take the wheels in for a tune up and new tires. Although I wish I knew of a better bike shop. I'm an hr south of Philly and it might be worth the trip. Oh, I'm psyched - thanks!
Old 03-20-05, 06:48 PM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Oh, so it was the bike they were oogling! I always thought it was me! (long blonde, blue and those fine italian bike shoes)

Am I opening up a can of worms I might not be able to handle here? I should take the wheels in for a tune up and new tires. Although I wish I knew of a better bike shop. I'm an hr south of Philly and it might be worth the trip. Oh, I'm psyched - thanks!
Well most likely it was you that attracted the attention. . .

But for me it was surely the bicycle that had all the attention.

Old 03-20-05, 07:50 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, just looked at your locale. What's it like riding there? I'm afraid my trips to Baltimore have only resulted in water taxis to Fells Point. Or worse, never venturing any further than the bar at Phillips.
Old 03-20-05, 08:10 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Your bike actually may be swiss thread in the bottom bracket. Peugeot switched over at some time I haven't figured out yet, late 70's I think.

The weird threading usually is not a problem. It's usually on on the headsets and bottom brackets; the pedals and freewheels are more standard british thread. The headsets and bottom brackets on these things are tanks. They take a lot of abuse and keep working. Keep them overhauled, change out the bearings a couple times a year, and they'll be fine.

You can probably handle this. You might get a decent book on bikes. Since you're overhauling an older bike, a vintage Bike Manual like Richard's Bicycle Book, old editions of which can be found for a buck or two at used book shops, will do just fine.

Old 03-21-05, 12:13 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, the wheels are off. And I'm on my way.
A Marin (???looks "girlie"!!!) showed up in garage today. I don't know what it is or where it came from but I've got a ride for after I get done my work. Are there magic bike fairies?
Old 03-21-05, 12:23 PM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ok, the wheels are off. And I'm on my way.
A Marin (???looks "girlie"!!!) showed up in garage today. I don't know what it is or where it came from but I've got a ride for after I get done my work. Are there magic bike fairies?
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. . .

Perhaps a gift from the Gods? Odysseus?

Old 03-21-05, 12:57 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
. . . never venturing any further than the bar at Phillips.
2nd best crab cakes in Md. Best is in Deal at the Harbour inn (very divey looking).
Riding in that particular area is great, little traffic wonderful country roads through
cornfields. . . I miss that.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-21-05, 02:11 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildjim
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. . .

Perhaps a gift from the Gods? Odysseus?

Yes...(wink).... from the gods. So they say "be careful what you wish for...". Should I hold off wishing for those 36 double D's?

So here it is. It not so nice, notice what the salt air does to metal here in my neighborhood. Not my kind of ride, tires wide enough to put on my VDub and some nasty shooby pedals. Someone left if for me in front of my garage. Might steal the brakes from it though. Go figure.

AND LOTEK....could use a little sneak away right about now. mmmm... crabcakes, a beer and some good bar chat.

Last edited by KirkeIsWaiting; 03-21-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-21-05, 02:15 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
Kirke,

Just went forty relative quick miles on my '68 UO8 this weekend. Love my bike. I'll tell you what yours needs most . . . RIDDEN!

Clean and repair. Live, Love, Laugh!!

Tyson

Inspire me Tyson.
Old 03-21-05, 02:43 PM
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1977 UO-10 that I still ride, mostly with the kids. I've changed it to straight bars, but otherwise it's original and works just fine.

I find there isn't much information out there on the UO-10 model.
I'll keep it forever I guess.
Old 03-21-05, 03:12 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Applehead57
I have a 1977 UO-10 that I still ride, mostly with the kids. I've changed it to straight bars, but otherwise it's original and works just fine.

I find there isn't much information out there on the UO-10 model.
I'll keep it forever I guess.
Hey APPLEHEAD! I don't know what year this is, bought it used in 1980? Actually, I trade it for a case of Rolling Rock and $30. And I made him give me a set of wheels. It's a diaster though, worse than I though as I begin to dismantle it. It got hung in the workshop and ignored. I found more info here, just asking, than anywhere.
Old 03-21-05, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Yes...(wink).... from the gods. So they say "be careful what you wish for...". Should I hold off wishing for those 36 double D's?
Uhm, skip the double D's, concentrate on a Confente instead.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-21-05, 04:03 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
Uhm, skip the double D's, concentrate on a Confente instead.

Marty
Right. And the idea is to lighten the weight on the bike. A Confente you say....