Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-17, 05:50 PM   #1
Nighttrain
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cruiser Components and Upgrades

Are there any good sources for quality components and accessories for cruisers? I've spent a lot of time doing web searches with marginal results and wonder if y'all have any good references.

I'll continue to make most purchases from the local shops but even in this coastal town their options for cruiser components are slim.

After decades of watching me buy/ride road and mtn bikes the Warden is taken back with my cruiser obsession, lol.
Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 06:28 PM   #2
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 6,058
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
This place has everything, and more, in 50 sizes, and 300 colors.

Bicycle Parts and Accessories at Beach City Bike
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 04:43 AM   #3
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
This place has everything, and more, in 50 sizes, and 300 colors.

Bicycle Parts and Accessories at Beach City Bike
Thanks for that link!!
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 11:37 AM   #4
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 6,058
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
Thanks for that link!!
You are welcome.

They have a ton of difficult to source stuff there. 21.1mm stems, 1-1/8 threaded headsets, a big variety of 1/2 inch pedals, greatest grip selection on Earth, etc. But....do keep an EYE on the prices. Seems like their prices on oddball stuff are good, but If it's a common item, it's worth shopping around.

Two other places I like to shop when I have quirky or old school needs are...

Porkchop BMX: Old School BMX Parts and Accessories

and...

Memory Lane Classics

Service is great at both places.
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 07:32 AM   #5
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
BCB appears to have some nice bits but yes I noticed that prices for some items can be 50% more than other places, like the Sturmey Archer X-FD drum hub for instance.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 09:19 AM   #6
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
maybe bicycle designer also. bicycledesigner.com (lets see if that link works). a lot of lowrider and motorized stuff also. ordered a pair of their 255mm rotors for my coker monster project.


edit: guess I messed it up. will come up on a goggle search though.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 12:58 AM   #7
Nighttrain
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Many Thanks

I appreciate the websites and recommendations in everyone's responses. These are all good sources.

If I can find another cruiser in a trash pile or a "next to free" one that I can use for beach rides I then may go a different direction with the Isla Vista. After a complete teardown and rebuild of the hubs, headset and bottom bracket everything is super smooth. Without breaking the bank I'd like to change out some of the heavier components for lighter ones and end up with a moderately lightweight cruiser. I use the term moderate because I want to retain the cruiser styling and not spend large sums of money.

Squid, thanks for your cruiser tires comparison in another thread. That kind of info is very helpful.
Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 11:47 AM   #8
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 6,058
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
I appreciate the websites and recommendations in everyone's responses. These are all good sources.

If I can find another cruiser in a trash pile or a "next to free" one that I can use for beach rides I then may go a different direction with the Isla Vista. After a complete teardown and rebuild of the hubs, headset and bottom bracket everything is super smooth. Without breaking the bank I'd like to change out some of the heavier components for lighter ones and end up with a moderately lightweight cruiser. I use the term moderate because I want to retain the cruiser styling and not spend large sums of money.

Squid, thanks for your cruiser tires comparison in another thread. That kind of info is very helpful.
You are welcome.

How much does the Isla Vista weigh? I like it because it's pretty much stripped. Not too many places to lose weight on that bike. No fenders, rims are already aluminum. Looks like a steel quill maybe? Yank the chain guard for a few ounces I guess and replace the steel seat post and handlebar with aluminum pieces. You could replace the Ashtabula OPC with a snazzy three piece crank and ring, but then you are getting into a little more money by the time you buy the adapter and cartridge BB and the crank itself.

Yeah, everyone in the 700c wheel world poo-poos the ThickSlicks big time. And I believe them. The 700c tires are heavy and have a low TPI so I assume rolling resistance is high too. But in the 26" wheel world, the tire really isn't heavy by comparison to the "Norm". I like mine enough that I wouldn't even shop around for a better tire when these wear out. I already know where to find a better and lighter tire, it's just a matter of justifying BIG $$$ for a cruiser tire. But I'm a weirdo so I may go for the Compass tires at some point.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-12-17 at 11:57 AM.
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 07:43 AM   #9
Nighttrain
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Isla Vista Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
You are welcome.

How much does the Isla Vista weigh? I like it because it's pretty much stripped. Not too many places to lose weight on that bike. No fenders, rims are already aluminum. Looks like a steel quill maybe? Yank the chain guard for a few ounces I guess and replace the steel seat post and handlebar with aluminum pieces. You could replace the Ashtabula OPC with a snazzy three piece crank and ring, but then you are getting into a little more money by the time you buy the adapter and cartridge BB and the crank itself.

Yeah, everyone in the 700c wheel world poo-poos the ThickSlicks big time. And I believe them. The 700c tires are heavy and have a low TPI so I assume rolling resistance is high too. But in the 26" wheel world, the tire really isn't heavy by comparison to the "Norm". I like mine enough that I wouldn't even shop around for a better tire when these wear out. I already know where to find a better and lighter tire, it's just a matter of justifying BIG $$$ for a cruiser tire. But I'm a weirdo so I may go for the Compass tires at some point.
I've not weighed the bike yet but will soon. It'll need tires before long and I'll choose slicks for sure. The pedals need to be replaced so maybe lose a few ounces there.

Which cloud storage option is everyone using to post pictures here? PhotoBucket has jumped the shark.
Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 09:10 AM   #10
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 6,058
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
I've not weighed the bike yet but will soon. It'll need tires before long and I'll choose slicks for sure. The pedals need to be replaced so maybe lose a few ounces there.

Which cloud storage option is everyone using to post pictures here? PhotoBucket has jumped the shark.
I use IMGUR. Very easy to use and free.
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 10:04 PM   #11
Nighttrain
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
3 piece cranks

I've looked at 3 piece cranks options for the cartridge bearings upgrade. If the spindles match I have some old XT and Dura-Ace cranks around here somewhere but either of those might look odd. The Isla Vista needs a new handlebar stem as it now has a groove cut into it (4.5 inch grinder slipped while cutting out a rusted/seized clamp bolt, lol). That'll be the first lighter replacement component. Thanks for the tips.

Yesterday I did the BB and front hub on a neighbor's Felt Bixby cruiser. New bearings, marine grease, etc.. It has a Nexus Internal 3 speed rear hub. That'll have to wait for another day or a better mechanic unless the Shimano Internal Hub Grease he's ordering resolves the odd friction sound it makes when freewheeling. That's a cool grease port Shimano designed for the Nexus 3 w/Coaster brake. Felt makes a nice cruiser.
Nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 11:23 PM   #12
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Bikes: Gas Pipe Nerdcycles
Posts: 6,058
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
The Isla Vista needs a new handlebar stem as it now has a groove cut into it (4.5 inch grinder slipped while cutting out a rusted/seized clamp bolt.

Ha ha ha. Been there. Oops. Mine involved a HUGE bolt cutter and a spoke on a brand new wheel that I had just built.
SquidPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION