Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    Member woodybr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
    What's wrong with a steel framed cruiser . Chromoly is close to the same weight and isn't as stiff. Steel absorbs bumps better and lasts longer. Kirby
    This is not what I meant. I don't know much about bikes, so all I know for sure is that an aluminum frame will almost always be lighter than a steel frame.
    Of course, as you said, some alloys like 41XX steel (chromoly) may have similar weight as an aluminum frame, and with increased resistance.
    However, as I'm not familiar with cruisers and their brands, I can't really tell by myself a heavy crappy steel cruiser apart from a higher quality one, considering the price point I'm willing to pay, without actually testing it.

    If you could point me at some direction, I'd appreciate.

    btw: thanks for broadening my options

  2. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South central Kansas
    My Bikes
    Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aluminum vs steel or anything else is mostly irrelevant where cruisers are concerned in my opinion. simply swap rear cogs or install a shimano three speed. The rear cog is the easiest and the cheapest. usually about 5 bucks or so. And if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself in under 15 minutes. Go to a 20 tooth, and you should still be able to do 13 or so mph without breaking a sweat.

  3. #28
    Rider
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard for a passable steel cruiser in my city where they are among the most popular options seems to be a Sun Revolution, which floats around the 250 price point somewhere or other new. They seem decently bulletproof and repairable. The thing to ask about is the brand, which usually predicts the quality; Schwinn is the top end for disposable bikes, Sun is the bottom end of "good" bikes (bicycles that use standard parts that are repairable and last decently well). There's probably others besides Sun that work well, but the bike stores that don't cater to the superhero crowd here that i've seen all love Sun for whatever reason. Or Electra, but that's more expensive.
    Anything you buy at a big box store is a disposable - they use nonstandard parts and cut corners, so it rapidly wears out in really strange ways that aren't always apparent, and if you bring it to a shop, they have to do extra work to kit bash standard parts onto the thing
    Current stable: Sun Atlas X-type (mine), Trek Navigator 3 (wife), two Sun Revolution cruisers (wife, daughter)

  4. #29
    Member woodybr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
    install a shimano three speed
    Where can I learn more about that?

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Heavy Duty , Schwinn Cross-Cut, Raleigh Olympian
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodybr View Post
    Where can I learn more about that?
    Easiest way of course , is to buy a cruiser with a three speed hub . Next would be to by a wheel with a three speed hub already laced up .then just swap out tire and tube , attach shifter, adjust and go.
    If your budget is around $250 and the Sun cruiser is sold for that price , I would google Sun bicycles and find a dealer in your area that sells them .
    Bikes Direct sells the Mango cruiser in a 3 speed for $299 shipped to your door . Aluminum frame , Cromoly forks . Looks like decent bike to me ?
    I bought a Motobecane HT 400 MTB from them and like it . Haven't had a problem with it . I've got it set up with street tires and riser handlebars . Kirby

  6. #31
    Member woodybr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
    Easiest way of course , is to buy a cruiser with a three speed hub . Next would be to by a wheel with a three speed hub already laced up .then just swap out tire and tube , attach shifter, adjust and go.
    If your budget is around $250 and the Sun cruiser is sold for that price , I would google Sun bicycles and find a dealer in your area that sells them .
    Bikes Direct sells the Mango cruiser in a 3 speed for $299 shipped to your door . Aluminum frame , Cromoly forks . Looks like decent bike to me ?
    I bought a Motobecane HT 400 MTB from them and like it . Haven't had a problem with it . I've got it set up with street tires and riser handlebars . Kirby
    Thank you kirby. You gave me all the info I needed. I really appreciate it.

    After one year, how easily do you think I could sell it? I would really like to purchase my own brand new cruiser, but I completely forgot I won't be able to bring it back to Brazil (on a plane) without having to pay almost the price of a new one.

    Edit: that Mango 3 speed black+red looks really appealing to me. If only I could bring it back with me without leaving a kidney there...
    Last edited by woodybr; 10-29-13 at 07:11 PM.

  7. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South central Kansas
    My Bikes
    Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at bikeflights.com? I have not tried it myself, but have read good things about it by those who have. Good luck!

  8. #33
    Member woodybr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    The standard for a passable steel cruiser in my city where they are among the most popular options seems to be a Sun Revolution, which floats around the 250 price point somewhere or other new. They seem decently bulletproof and repairable. The thing to ask about is the brand, which usually predicts the quality; Schwinn is the top end for disposable bikes, Sun is the bottom end of "good" bikes (bicycles that use standard parts that are repairable and last decently well). There's probably others besides Sun that work well, but the bike stores that don't cater to the superhero crowd here that i've seen all love Sun for whatever reason. Or Electra, but that's more expensive.
    Anything you buy at a big box store is a disposable - they use nonstandard parts and cut corners, so it rapidly wears out in really strange ways that aren't always apparent, and if you bring it to a shop, they have to do extra work to kit bash standard parts onto the thing
    Thank you very much for the input. Do you happen to know anything about those Mango bikes?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ruisers_al.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
    Have you looked at bikeflights.com? I have not tried it myself, but have read good things about it by those who have. Good luck!
    It seems to cost twice the price of the bike

    @ topic
    I'd like to try to gather info about these Mango bikes. Should I create a new thread?

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Heavy Duty , Schwinn Cross-Cut, Raleigh Olympian
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost ordered the 3 speed Mango when I bought my Electra Cruiser 1 . It was $50 more than what I paid for the single speed Electra . I like my single speed Electra as it suits most of the roads and paths where I live . But sometimes I wish I had the two extra gears. .
    I rode a three speed rental bike all day when I was in DC visiting relatives last year and only walked it up one hill . We rode approx. 20 mikes that day . The rentals had the Shimano 3 speed Nexus hubs . If they hold up on rentals , they've got to be a good hub.
    The frame on the Mango was most likely welded up in the same factory as my Motobecane , so it should be a nice frame .
    If I hadn't found the Electra for $249 , I'd probably would have ordered the Mango Longboard for $399 to get the 3 speed and the forward pedals . I like the forward pedals. . Kirby

  10. #35
    Senior Member Gothic Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    Hollandia Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used a cruiser for commuting yet. I use a mountain bike for that. I have ridden my uncle's cruiser past my college a couple times, though, so it's certainly doable. I'm buying my own cruiser soon, and I will be using it to commute to and from school.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
    -Rowena Ravenclaw

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    I did take the apes off and replace them with a a flat MTB type bar though.
    Northroads may be a more comfortable choice while still offering many of the advantages of MTB bars.

  12. #37
    Senior Member 1FJEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Mexico (Central Kalifornia)
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my Sun Retro-7 cruiser about 1400 miles in the first 6 months of the year. It's outfitted with good lights, rack, baskets & tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •