Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG mate, those are some beautiful bikes...damn, gotta same some coin for one of those!!!!

  2. #27
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can build a Trek frame up too if you really wanna, I'm just not into spending that kind of green. Why, when I had bike junkyards all of my childhood?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  3. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    If you can get away from the classic cantilever frame look, convert an old mountain bike to a cruiser. Strip everything off the frame, file off the cable guides, give it a Krylon paint job, put new cruiser wheels and tires on, replace the stock saddle with a big cruiser saddle and put some swept back bars on. The wheels should run about $100, tires and tubes $50, saddle $25 and bars $25.
    that's some good advice also....thanks. I just fell in love with this orange beast and find myself riding it more than my 4k$ road bikes!!! I don't have to put on lycra , clipless pedals , adjust tire pressure , fill water bottles, stuff rear pockets with gas cartridges, turn on computers....just ride!!! That's what its all about to me!! This was a fun post....thanks for all the great comments!!!!

  4. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    My Bikes
    AMF scorcher, 55 J.C. Higgins
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
    I don't understand the people saying cruisers are slow as tree sloths...you just don't like to haul like the devil until it hurts..
    Heck yeah, you think my cruiser is slow...wait tll I pass ya! hahaha

  5. #30
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF_Wick View Post
    Heck yeah, you think my cruiser is slow...wait tll I pass ya! hahaha
    Well, do say hello to my fellow cyclist friend Ken Drescher there first because it will take you a few months to get to Oregon and you won't see him again for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  6. #31
    Junior Member chaarzarul73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my "Onex". It's a WalMart special, too. It came with pretty sweet wheels, already. I took the fenders and chain guard off and replaced the cranks with longer ones. I'm thinking about getting skinnier, slick tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can you hear me now?

  7. #32
    Senior Member 1FJEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern Mexico (Central Kalifornia)
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgek54 View Post
    Ready to upgrade wheels and I need some advice...please help, thanks!
    I'm a huge guy, I use my Sun Retro-7 (7 speed) to haul groceries & get some exercise doin' it.

    So, to make it a little quicker, after some trial & error (I listed below, in case you're bored) I changed the tires. A Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.15 (54mm actual) on the rear at 46-48 psi.
    A Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.0 (47mm actual) on the front at 45-48 psi with a RhinoDillo liner. It looks like a 1.75" tire because it almost is.
    It's faster. The bike actually "rides" like it lost weight, but there is still a little cushion.
    We're talkin' 325lbs plus with me on it. It's not fast, but it's faster & way more fun to ride.
    I changed wheels which lets me get away with my fat butt riding at higher air pressure on more slim tires. New wheels are heavier, but it still feels faster.

    Trial & error:
    1) Tire change to Schwalbe HS361 ReTurner from Sun (Kenda 927). Faster with less great Kenda "cushion".
    You can't depend on published size, you have to measure. Old were 57mm, new were 54mm wide, but they're both listed as 2.125"
    2) Tried a Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.35 on the rear, it was harder to pedal, even at max psi, poor cushion but the diameter is so big it actually changes your gear ratios, kinda cool.
    Last edited by 1FJEF; 03-14-14 at 12:04 PM.

  8. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaarzarul73 View Post
    This is my "Onex". It's a WalMart special, too. It came with pretty sweet wheels, already. I took the fenders and chain guard off and replaced the cranks with longer ones. I'm thinking about getting skinnier, slick tires.
    Really nice ride, nice wheelset, 3 piece crank conversion? happy?

  9. #34
    Junior Member chaarzarul73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, new cranks with smaller sprocket. It rides great, now. Real easy.
    Can you hear me now?

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Texas dirt road
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MY Cruiser

    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    If you can get away from the classic cantilever frame look, convert an old mountain bike to a cruiser. Strip everything off the frame, file off the cable guides, give it a Krylon paint job, put new cruiser wheels and tires on, replace the stock saddle with a big cruiser saddle and put some swept back bars on. The wheels should run about $100, tires and tubes $50, saddle $25 and bars $25.

    Here is my example of MTB setup as a fun rider / cruiser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robert
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..." from mtbr site

  11. #36
    Senior Member SquidPuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imabeliever1 View Post
    Here is my example of MTB setup as a fun rider / cruiser.
    That look VERY comfortable and I bet it wheelies really well.

  12. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  13. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant seem to add larger pic...sorry...this forum is not user friendly!

  14. #39
    Rhapsodic Laviathan
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville KY
    My Bikes
    schwinn probe and henderson, lotus pegasus, sears&roebuck, mongoose deception, nishiki prestige, Trek 800 sport single track, Diamondback Drifter1
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the pic is fine, you just click it to make it bigger. I like what you did, who said cruisers had to be slow. I like the idea of a performance cruiser. All of my bikes are built for speed accept the ratrod and even it has performance. Personally a simple, clean, stripped cruiser looks damn good. Toss on some flat bars, good set of wheels and tires, biggest crank you can find. Makes a good simple runabout and back up bike.
    The speed is break neck, faster than a high speed dual cassette tape deck.

  15. #40
    Nigel nfmisso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, GT, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........
    Posts
    1,026
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    If you can get away from the classic cantilever frame look, convert an old mountain bike to a cruiser. Strip everything off the frame, file off the cable guides, give it a Krylon paint job, put new cruiser wheels and tires on, replace the stock saddle with a big cruiser saddle and put some swept back bars on. The wheels should run about $100, tires and tubes $50, saddle $25 and bars $25.
    Like this:
    IMG_20140330_105341_217.jpg
    Nigel
    Mechanical Design Engineer

  16. #41
    I STILL miss East Hill :) Rollfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Where my bike's at
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    2,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgek54 View Post
    I cant seem to add larger pic...sorry...this forum is not user friendly!
    Uncheck the box below the URL you entered and it won't autosize and save it like that but you risk losing it as soon as the file is lost on the host or moved.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
    They can't fix expansion joints, because they expand.
    Smile at Miles with a ROLLFAST!

  17. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dunedin Florida
    My Bikes
    80's Eddy Merckx, Scott Addict, Felt tri-bike (all custom parts) Rocky Mountain Team Only Pro mountain bike, Kulana Cruiser
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
    Uncheck the box below the URL you entered and it won't autosize and save it like that but you risk losing it as soon as the file is lost on the host or moved.
    thanks for the advice....appreciate that!

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FJEF View Post
    I'm a huge guy, I use my Sun Retro-7 (7 speed) to haul groceries & get some exercise doin' it.

    So, to make it a little quicker, after some trial & error (I listed below, in case you're bored) I changed the tires. A Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.15 (54mm actual) on the rear at 46-48 psi.
    A Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.0 (47mm actual) on the front at 45-48 psi with a RhinoDillo liner. It looks like a 1.75" tire because it almost is.
    It's faster. The bike actually "rides" like it lost weight, but there is still a little cushion.
    We're talkin' 325lbs plus with me on it. It's not fast, but it's faster & way more fun to ride.
    I changed wheels which lets me get away with my fat butt riding at higher air pressure on more slim tires. New wheels are heavier, but it still feels faster.

    Trial & error:
    1) Tire change to Schwalbe HS361 ReTurner from Sun (Kenda 927). Faster with less great Kenda "cushion".
    You can't depend on published size, you have to measure. Old were 57mm, new were 54mm wide, but they're both listed as 2.125"
    2) Tried a Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.35 on the rear, it was harder to pedal, even at max psi, poor cushion but the diameter is so big it actually changes your gear ratios, kinda cool.

    Hm.
    I'm into this post, as I've got a stock Fuji Cape May that I really love, but want to make more nimble...
    Tires: Has got Kenda 2.125s now, but I have a feeling they're very heavy, and the rolling resistance feels quite high. How narrow Big Apples will I get away with on the same rims?
    Also, the crank set. Is it a straight swap with a new chain if I get a decent Sugino single speed set up, or do I also need to change the bottom bracket?

    To underline.. : I KNOW this will never be a racer, I use it to go out on short rides with my 5 year old son on his 16"wheel BMX , I have a Bianchi Impulso on 130psi racing slicks for the 50mph experience..:-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •