Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-05, 11:45 AM   #1
govegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finding a compatible groupset for a hybrid

I have a Giant Cypress DX, which has a 7-speed cassette and a triple crankset. I've been having a lot of shifting issues lately, and yesterday the right grip-shift broke, so the only way to keep the bike in a particular gear is by holding the shifter in place.

I know I could just replace the shifter for $20-30, but I had already been thinking about converting to a double and was wondering how to tell if a particular groupset is compatible with my bike. Most of the double crank groupsets I was looking at were for road bikes, so the shifters wouldn't work on a flat bar.

Anyone have any ideas?
govegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 02:30 PM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by govegan
I have a Giant Cypress DX, which has a 7-speed cassette and a triple crankset. I've been having a lot of shifting issues lately, and yesterday the right grip-shift broke, so the only way to keep the bike in a particular gear is by holding the shifter in place.

I know I could just replace the shifter for $20-30, but I had already been thinking about converting to a double and was wondering how to tell if a particular groupset is compatible with my bike. Most of the double crank groupsets I was looking at were for road bikes, so the shifters wouldn't work on a flat bar.

Anyone have any ideas?
A flat bar shifter for a triple will shift a double.Cheap,easy, dirty fix is a friction thumb shifter.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 03:30 PM   #3
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 16,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
A flat bar shifter for a triple will shift a double.Cheap,easy, dirty fix is a friction thumb shifter.
For the front, friction is not only cheap, easy, dirty, it's also superior to any sort of indexing. In fact, if it were my bike, I would just get a nice pair of friction-mode thumb shifters, scrap the grip shifts, and enjoy the freedom of being able to make significant changes in my gearing (double vs. triple, 9-speed-spaced 8-speed vs. 7-speed, etc.).
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 03:34 PM   #4
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
For the front, friction is not only cheap, easy, dirty, it's also superior to any sort of indexing. In fact, if it were my bike, I would just get a nice pair of friction-mode thumb shifters, scrap the grip shifts, and enjoy the freedom of being able to make significant changes in my gearing (double vs. triple, 9-speed-spaced 8-speed vs. 7-speed, etc.).
Uh...Er...Excuse me John,but your retro is showing.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 09:56 PM   #5
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sram sells a friction grip shifter.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 07:32 AM   #6
govegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I think I'll just keep this bike as-is, and look into getting a road bike. I tested out a really nice Fuji Bordeaux from last year with all Campy components which I really liked. I think I may pick that bike up.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
govegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.