Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-05, 06:44 PM   #1
cazzooo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cazzooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will 9 Speed Campy Shifters work on 9 Speed Shimano hub?

I mean the spacing on both cassettes must be the same so it should work?
cazzooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 07:52 PM   #2
tvphobic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzooo
I mean the spacing on both cassettes must be the same so it should work?
They are not but folks have reported acceptable results on Shimano 9-sp hubs and cassettes if one uses Ergopower with a Campagnolo rear derailleur. An alternative is Jtek Shiftmate which appears as if it can match cable pull from nearly any Shimano or Campagnolo system, 8, 9, or 10 speed.
tvphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 08:10 PM   #3
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文
 
genericbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Bikes:
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzooo
Will 9 Speed Campy Shifters work on 9 Speed Shimano hub?
NO
hahaha!
genericbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 08:23 PM   #4
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mechanic uses Shimano Dura-Ace 9-speed cassettes on his Campy drivetrain because they are cheaper than Campy cassettes. The spacing is close enough that it works. Also, you might want to check out this thread where confirmation of compatibility was gotten from the illustrious Sheldon Brown himself.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:13 PM   #5
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
My mechanic uses Shimano Dura-Ace 9-speed cassettes on his Campy drivetrain because they are cheaper than Campy cassettes. The spacing is close enough that it works. Also, you might want to check out this thread where confirmation of compatibility was gotten from the illustrious Sheldon Brown himself.
That campy drivetrain has to include a shimano compatible hub body to do that trick.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:14 PM   #6
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
NO
hahaha!
Well actually it will.Why don't you go to Sheldon Browns stuff at www.harriscyclery.com and bone up.There will be a quiz.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:20 PM   #7
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
That campy drivetrain has to include a shimano compatible hub body to do that trick.
Right. Sorry. I neglected to mention that his freehub accepts Shimano cassettes.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 09:12 AM   #8
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文
 
genericbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Bikes:
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Well actually it will.Why don't you go to Sheldon Browns stuff at www.harriscyclery.com and bone up.There will be a quiz.
So sorry, you're probably right. I was just a little drunk and felt like being negative. My only experience with campy stuff is friction downtube shifters from the 60s.
genericbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 09:23 AM   #9
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
So sorry, you're probably right. I was just a little drunk and felt like being negative. My only experience with campy stuff is friction downtube shifters from the 60s.
Wonderful background for expert advice on current index stuff. Sauce doesn't improve the data base either.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.