Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by pal251
Hello I have a Marin Bobcat trail which is the 2004 model I believe. I just bought it a couple months ago and after about 2 weeks I busted the chain so I ended up buying a new one. THen after that it seemedlike I have had a LOT of trouble shifting from the second to third gear inthe front . Going from the medium sized to the large size gear. Also when I am going up a steep hill rather it be dirt or pavement and I am mashing down on the pedals in 1 gear in the front and 3 in the rear the chain seems to make a large pop and the pedals feel like they are skipping or something. I often lose traction on the pedals its so severe. It sounds like whenyou donthave the chain onthe next gear all the way when you shift and you pushdown onthe pedals and it makes that noise. Sorry about the space problem on the post my keyboard is jacked up. It is a 8 speedin the back and the front is a 3 speed. took it to shop multiple times but they cannot find anything wrong with it.
1) Do you have the correct chain. I know it sounds simple but sometimes it is
2) Try another chain if you can
3) Any stiff links in the chain
4) Is Bicycle new or not. If not new could be that the cassette at the back is thrashed and the new chain has just highlighted the problem, what this means is that the old chain and the original cassette were nicely worn in together. Now you change the chain and the new chain does not go with the old cassette.
5) Are your gears properly adjusted
Hope some of the above is of use.