Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-05, 01:00 AM   #1
SDG
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mohali, India.
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to buy a pump

I am planning a tour in the Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh in India on an MTB (26", 1.75 tires). I have done similar trips before and have always carried a pump. Earlier it has been (would you believe me?) a floor pump, because no other type that works is available here in India. This time I am trying to take a mini pump I can carry in my panniers and the only option is to get one through mail order.
I need help in selecting a pump. I am looking for one in the range US$10 to 15 (at most up to $20). Some suggestions please. Suggestions regarding reliable mail order companies shipping to India would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks in advance.

Sudipto.
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 05:56 PM   #2
Jonny49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello and welcome. Check out this company. It is Mountain Equipment Coop. They have pumps in your price range and I think they ship overseas,

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmUID=1117410784339
Jonny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 07:10 PM   #3
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Topeak Road Morph, thank you good bye.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 08:15 PM   #4
el twe
crotchety young dude
 
el twe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SF, CA
Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
Posts: 4,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It really is worth it to buy a more expensive frame pump. I have one of these and love it: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Plus, it's on sale!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
IRO Angus Casati Gold Line
el twe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 10:12 AM   #5
Peek the Geek
is slower than you
 
Peek the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WI
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Topeak Morphs really are good. Sturdy, built in gauge, hose so you don't weaken your tire at the valve stem. Nashbar has the mtn version on sale for under $20.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...8HEs433m1Zawcw
__________________
Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
www.chippewaoffroad.org

Peek the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 12:09 PM   #6
DocF
Older Than Dirt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reidsville, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
The Topeak Morphs really are good. Sturdy, built in gauge, hose so you don't weaken your tire at the valve stem. Nashbar has the mtn version on sale for under $20.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...8HEs433m1Zawcw
This one is the earlier version without the built in gage. It is still a great bargain at this price. I have both a Road Morph and a Mountain Morph.

Doc
DocF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 09:24 PM   #7
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Another vote for the Topeak Morph pumps.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 11:06 PM   #8
Peek the Geek
is slower than you
 
Peek the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WI
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocF
This one is the earlier version without the built in gage. It is still a great bargain at this price. I have both a Road Morph and a Mountain Morph.

Doc
Oops. Thanks for pointing out my error.
__________________
Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
www.chippewaoffroad.org

Peek the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 12:23 AM   #9
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG
I am planning a tour in the Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh in India on an MTB (26", 1.75 tires). I have done similar trips before and have always carried a pump. Earlier it has been (would you believe me?) a floor pump, because no other type that works is available here in India. This time I am trying to take a mini pump I can carry in my panniers and the only option is to get one through mail order.
I need help in selecting a pump. I am looking for one in the range US$10 to 15 (at most up to $20). Some suggestions please. Suggestions regarding reliable mail order companies shipping to India would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks in advance.

Sudipto.
Your problem is that a lot of the online shops won't ship overseas. You'll have to wire the money to the ones that will which will cost more than the pump. I'm in Latvia and I just wired some money to Germany for bike parts. The wire transfer cost USD12. And that is from one EU country to another. If I were to wire money to say, India the cost would have been around USD40.

Do you have any friends or relatives in the UK or anywhere else in Europe, or America? I think your best bet is to have one of them buy it for you and ship it direct. I will be a bit of a hassle, but a lot cheaper. If you do order one online from the State or UK your $10 pump will end up costing you around $70!
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:26 AM   #10
SDG
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mohali, India.
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks heaps to all of you. Yes indeed, I feel it is better to spend more at one go on a pump that would not make you pay heavily later! And indeed I feel so more since I found out that it would cost me around $35 (on Price Point) for just the mail order. I also did some research on my own, visiting some bike review sites and have almost decided on the Topeak Road Morph. So, thanks again.

Sudipto.
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:33 AM   #11
SDG
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mohali, India.
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Your problem is that a lot of the online shops won't ship overseas. You'll have to wire the money to the ones that will which will cost more than the pump. I'm in Latvia and I just wired some money to Germany for bike parts. The wire transfer cost USD12. And that is from one EU country to another. If I were to wire money to say, India the cost would have been around USD40.

Do you have any friends or relatives in the UK or anywhere else in Europe, or America? I think your best bet is to have one of them buy it for you and ship it direct. I will be a bit of a hassle, but a lot cheaper. If you do order one online from the State or UK your $10 pump will end up costing you around $70!
Yes, you are correct - mail orders to India range from $35-$45 from what I have found till now. I have thought of getting friends or relatives to send me one, but I am afraid that apart from the hassle, it might turn out to be a gift - it would be tough to make them accept payment. I am thinking of adding some more tools I have been planning for a long time, like a chain tool and a crank extractor to make it more worthwhile.

Sudipto.
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.