Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-05, 09:07 PM   #1
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my deal: I have a 30 speed Lemond Sarthe with a Bontrager Race Lite 175mm crankset 30-42-52 in the front with a 10-spd cassette in the back. I was thinking of going to a Campy Record 180 mm double front crankset since triples of any kind in longer cranks are impossible to find. Both derailleurs are currently Veloce.

What kind of conversion work (if possible) woiuld this entail? Thanks
__________________
"How did all those 'Keep Off the Grass' signs get there?"
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 09:17 PM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
Here's my deal: I have a 30 speed Lemond Sarthe with a Bontrager Race Lite 175mm crankset 30-42-52 in the front with a 10-spd cassette in the back. I was thinking of going to a Campy Record 180 mm double front crankset since triples of any kind in longer cranks are impossible to find. Both derailleurs are currently Veloce.

What kind of conversion work (if possible) woiuld this entail? Thanks
There is a DA 10 triple 180 listed. For a record double,you need the crank and BB.Derailers will work.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 09:24 PM   #3
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
There is a DA 10 triple 180 listed. For a record double,you need the crank and BB.Derailers will work.

Is that the DA 7300? I heard that it has a crappy , antiquated octalink BB. The 7800 is Shimano's lastest and I heard that it has a better BB, but is only offered in a double. I guess external bearings like the Giga X that I have (truvativ, Bonty) have are the way to go these days?

Help, I'm so confused!
__________________
"How did all those 'Keep Off the Grass' signs get there?"
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 10:27 PM   #4
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Bikes:
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
Is that the DA 7300? I heard that it has a crappy , antiquated octalink BB.
THe 10s version he is talking about is the 7800.

Only the dura ace (7700) octalink seems bad (according to roadbikereview). Ultegra octalink doesn't seem to have many problems (just to clarify)
53-11_alltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 06:05 AM   #5
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
THe 10s version he is talking about is the 7800.

Only the dura ace (7700) octalink seems bad (according to roadbikereview). Ultegra octalink doesn't seem to have many problems (just to clarify)
What are you babbling about? Cranksets or bottom brackets??
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 06:10 AM   #6
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
Is that the DA 7300? I heard that it has a crappy , antiquated octalink BB. The 7800 is Shimano's lastest and I heard that it has a better BB, but is only offered in a double. I guess external bearings like the Giga X that I have (truvativ, Bonty) have are the way to go these days?

Help, I'm so confused!
There was never a 7300 octalink. the 7800 is available as a double or triple in a 180. The 7703 octalind triple was also listed as a 180. I think you have also heard alot of BS.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 04:13 AM   #7
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Bikes:
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
What are you babbling about? Cranksets or bottom brackets??
Come on now? What do you think? That the crankset had problems?
53-11_alltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 04:17 AM   #8
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Bikes:
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
I think you have also heard alot of BS.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/dr...9_2479crx.aspx


53 reviews saying DA octalink BB is pretty much crap. I don't buy other's claims that this is due to installation problems otherwise ultegra octalink BB would have bad reviews too (which it doesn't)

If you make it light it will break sooner, right?


I'd say there are better options than using a 7700 octalink BB in a veloce bike anyway. Why even bother with this part? (seriously)

Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 07-03-05 at 04:36 AM.
53-11_alltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 06:52 AM   #9
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway


53 reviews saying DA octalink BB is pretty much crap. I don't buy other's claims that this is due to installation problems otherwise ultegra octalink BB would have bad reviews too (which it doesn't)

(seriously)
You obviously don't know a thing about the differences it the BBs, but are very good at dredging up and regurgitating drivel. Installation is the key and The DA due to being totally different in construction from the ultegra is not a no brainer in the installation, as is the ultegra.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 12:22 PM   #10
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Bikes:
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
You obviously don't know a thing about the differences it the BBs, but are very good at dredging up and regurgitating drivel. Installation is the key and The DA due to being totally different in construction from the ultegra is not a no brainer in the installation, as is the ultegra.
My BS detector tells me this is a load of crap. I've looked at pictures of both Dura ace octalink and ultegra octalink. They are identical on the outside. yeah, sounds like dura ace version is lighter and weaker like I said. If they did stuff to it internally to save weight and this makes "installation" more critical then I still stand by what I say. Oh yeah, light stuff breaks quicker.


P.S. Why ruin this veloce 10s veloce bike with this part anyway?





Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 07-03-05 at 12:37 PM.
53-11_alltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 01:57 PM   #11
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
My BS detector tells me this is a load of crap. I've looked at pictures of both Dura ace octalink and ultegra octalink. They are identical on the outside. yeah, sounds like dura ace version is lighter and weaker like I said. If they did stuff to it internally to save weight and this makes "installation" more critical then I still stand by what I say. Oh yeah, light stuff breaks quicker.


P.S. Why ruin this veloce 10s veloce bike with this part anyway?




Well the top piicture is of a DA triple BB which in reality is an ultegra and not the same as a DA double BB. You need to look at the right pictures(hint, it's the top one in catalogue you posted from) t, and maybe even read a description of how they differ as to construction. Hint the DA has loose bearing,can be serviced and has to be critically adjusted when installed.Now go do your homework ...You should also know by now that sydney does not sling BS...No one said anything about running a 7800 BB. The DA crank are available in the length he wanted and one can use an ultegra BB with it.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 03:32 PM   #12
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Bikes:
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
The DA crank are available in the length he wanted and one can use an ultegra BB with it.
Fair enough (re: differences in triple BB vs double BB)

I was steering him away from the DA 7703 partly because he wanted a 177.5 triple. Truvativ makes a 177.5 triple with external bearings http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/road...gxp/triple.php and the alloy version isn't that expensive. He can even get one with either a 42T middle or 39T middle ring.
53-11_alltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 AM.