Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Grasshopper wetjett01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BB bolt question

    does anyone know what the size and thread of the bolts are that attatch the cranks to a Shimano UN52 BB? i have the BB but no bolts to attatch the crank on with. this is my first attempt at attatching a crank to a BB. can i just put the cranks on there and torque the bolts down or do i need special tooling like everything else i ever have to do to my bike ?
    "Without a care in this whole world,
    Without a care in this life,
    Itís what you take that makes it right."

  2. #2
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the thread size right off hand, but to install the cranks, you'd need the proper socket for the bolt. A standard, run-of-the-mill socket and handle will work fine. Now, you will need a "crank puller" to remove the crank from the bottom bracket spindle.

  3. #3
    Grasshopper wetjett01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, i found the original bolts that came out of the cranks so im good to go. just checking to see if there was something special i had to do to put the cranks on.


    thanks
    "Without a care in this whole world,
    Without a care in this life,
    Itís what you take that makes it right."

  4. #4
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetjett01
    actually, i found the original bolts that came out of the cranks so im good to go. just checking to see if there was something special i had to do to put the cranks on.


    thanks

    There should be a washer for each bolt, too. Also, I usually place a little grease on the flats on the spindle to help crank removal at a later time.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never... ever... grease the tapers on a square-taper BB axle. The arm will slide too far up the taper. I worked in a LBS for 7 years and I never saw a crankarm that wouldn't come off because of corrosion or other issue that grease would solve... it doesn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by wetjett01
    just checking to see if there was something special i had to do to put the cranks on.
    Yes there is... don't torque the bolts super-tight and put a tiny bit of grease on the threads.

    Tapered axle crankarms require a bit of a feel as far as how tight is tight enough. Too tight and you'll slide the crankarm up the taper to the point where it will damage the square hole in the crankarm and probably never stay tight.

    It's hard to explain how tight to make it without a torque wrench without showing you in person. I've done 1000's of 'em "by feel". Tighten the bolt until you think it's snug then maybe another 3/4 of a turn. Check the bolt after the next two rides to see if it's looser than you tightened it to. If so, then snug it up again.
    Last edited by F1_Fan; 07-03-05 at 02:13 AM.

  6. #6
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to your LBS and ask for a set of crank bolts.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan
    Never... ever... grease the tapers on a square-taper BB axle. The arm will slide too far up the taper.
    When will this fairy tale ever stop?

  8. #8
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan

    It's hard to explain how tight to make it without a torque wrench without showing you in person. I've done 1000's of 'em "by feel". Tighten the bolt until you think it's snug then maybe another 3/4 of a turn. Check the bolt after the next two rides to see if it's looser than you tightened it to. If so, then snug it up again.
    How about recommending the correct torque for them that don't have a well calibrated elbow? repair section at www.parktool.com is a good place to start.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    How about recommending the correct torque for them that don't have a well calibrated elbow? repair section at www.parktool.com is a good place to start.
    Blow me. If he had a torque wrench then we'd play your little lookup game. He doesn't so I'm giving him some useful guidance rather than having him think you just crank the bolt until it stops.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan
    Blow me. If he had a torque wrench then we'd play your little lookup game. He doesn't so I'm giving him some useful guidance rather than having him think you just crank the bolt until it stops.
    Oh My!! Why doncha take a chill pill and put your head on straight. If one knows the proper torque and the length of the wernch handle he is using it's alot less of a mystery.

  11. #11
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm....I'm not wanting to interrupt the pissing match, but I also don't grease crank tapers. Perhaps a better way to put it is yes, you can grease tapers, but the grease makes it much easier to enlarge the crank hole and ruin the crank if you overtorque the bolts. If you thoroughly clean the tapers and crank hole before installing with the proper torque, it shouldn't creak. It is very common for folks that have creaking crank issues to tighten and tighten again, rather than pulling the crank and cleaning out contaminants. I do however reccommend greasing the threads on the crank bolts, as this will allow one to attain the proper torque, and prevents seizing. If grease isn't your thing, anti-seize compound is another option that doesn't tend to allow crank tapers past the point of "no return".

    On the bright side of things, I have fixed "ruined" overtorqued cranks by cutting a shim from an aluminum soda can and placing it on the taper before retorquing the cranks. I bought the somewhat rare 180mm XT cranks for my utility mountain bike (ab)used, and fixed this way, they've been going strong with no creaks (or grease) for 6 years now.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker
    Hmmmm....I'm not wanting to interrupt the pissing match, but I also don't grease crank tapers. Perhaps a better way to put it is yes, you can grease tapers, but the grease makes it much easier to enlarge the crank hole and ruin the crank if you overtorque the bolts.
    It's simply the greaser non greaser debate that will never end,and it just shouldn't be drug out. I've always used grease and never an issue.Also curious that new issue shimano square taaper BB come pre greased. Maybe it's jsut another big shimano conspiracy.

  13. #13
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    It's simply the greaser non greaser debate that will never end,and it just shouldn't be drug out. I've always used grease and never an issue.Also curious that new issue shimano square taaper BB come pre greased. Maybe it's jsut another big shimano conspiracy.
    OK, then we'll agree to disagree on this one, eh?
    I see your point Sydney, that F1-Fan was saying that you should "never" grease tapers. Grease or no grease preferences aside, the only unilaterally true statement would be, "never overtorque crank bolts".

  14. #14
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I was always a "non-greaser" but after reading numerous posts on the Forum I think it just might be an old wive's tale (w/ apologies to any old wives out there).
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •