Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Adios, Mofo J-McKech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SXSW central
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Brava, Surly Instigator FR
    Posts
    1,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Front derailluer

    I have a Sora front derailluer on my Bianchi. When I shift from the big chainring to the middle chainring it wont go, so I have to make it click all the way down to the small chainring and then click back over to the middle chainring. A riding buddy of mine said it sounded like my derailluer was too tight. I don't want to take it to the shop because they over charge and turn around is atleast 3 days. So how can I adjust it? Is it on the park tools website?
    I am Signature-less

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah,repair section

  3. #3
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start at the very beginning and go through the whole process. I think that the biggest problem that people have in adjusting front derailleurs is that they try to start the adjustment process in the middle.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    See sig.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is how I have always done it.

    1. Drop it down into the small ring (or where-ever the deralleur defaults to, on some mountain bikes, it is the largest chainring)
    2. Adjust the barrell adjuster (if you have one) so that it gives the cable as much slack as possible.
    3. Undo the cable clamping bolt on the deralleur, and use an assistant with a pair of needlenose pliers to gently remove all the slack from the cable by pulling on it.
    4. Re-torque the cable clamping bolt.
    5. Run through the shifting, and add tension to the cable as necessary.

    Worked for me...

  5. #5
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
    Here is how I have always done it.

    1. Drop it down into the small ring (or where-ever the deralleur defaults to, on some mountain bikes, it is the largest chainring)
    2. Adjust the barrell adjuster (if you have one) so that it gives the cable as much slack as possible.
    3. Undo the cable clamping bolt on the deralleur, and use an assistant with a pair of needlenose pliers to gently remove all the slack from the cable by pulling on it.
    4. Re-torque the cable clamping bolt.
    5. Run through the shifting, and add tension to the cable as necessary.

    Worked for me...
    Suggest you check the park site to and learn about the limit screws as well as position and alignment. AFWIW, I'm not familiar with HI normal front derailers. What's up with that?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    Suggest you check the park site to and learn about the limit screws as well as position and alignment. AFWIW, I'm not familiar with HI normal front derailers. What's up with that?
    Sydney, you're probably just not old enough. I'm thinking early to mid 70's for high-normal front derailleurs. Only saw them on low end bikes. Their point was that you'd push either shifter forward to find a harder gear.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And while the cable is detached, flip the small shift lever a few times to make sure all of the cable is released.

    Al

  8. #8
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Sydney, you're probably just not old enough. I'm thinking early to mid 70's for high-normal front derailleurs. Only saw them on low end bikes. Their point was that you'd push either shifter forward to find a harder gear.
    I remember those. Is the Rapid Rise stuff similar?
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmfnla
    I remember those. Is the Rapid Rise stuff similar?
    Rapid Rise does the same thing but at the back. My opinion of both is similar.

  10. #10
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Rapid Rise does the same thing but at the back. My opinion of both is similar.
    Yeah, I knew it was at the back, and my opinion is the same.
    Springs should be used for the easy shifts, thumbs for the hard ones.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  11. #11
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Sydney, you're probably just not old enough. I'm thinking early to mid 70's for high-normal front derailleurs. Only saw them on low end bikes. Their point was that you'd push either shifter forward to find a harder gear.
    Yeah, I heard of them. certainly not applicable to current stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •