Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a Scott CR-1 that is fully equiped with shimano 105 components.(triple chainring)

    In order to convert to the FSA Double crank...is it going to be neccessary to....

    replace the front derailleur?
    back derailleur?
    replace the sti shifter/brake levers?


    i know i will need a new bottom bracket.

    and also.....


    if say i only need to replace the front derailleur.....would it be ok to use a Ultegra or Dura-ace front derailleur with my existing compents? (shifters, rear derailleur)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 105 brifters are double/triple compatible.

    For best shifting, you'll need to replace both front and rear derailleurs. The triple derailleurs will work, but not as smooth as can be.

    New BB, yes, for shorter spindle length (and FSA crank is probably ISIS).

    This might be a stupid question, but why didn't you buy it with a double to begin with??

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    The 105 brifters are double/triple compatible.

    For best shifting, you'll need to replace both front and rear derailleurs. The triple derailleurs will work, but not as smooth as can be.

    New BB, yes, for shorter spindle length (and FSA crank is probably ISIS).

    This might be a stupid question, but why didn't you buy it with a double to begin with??
    my LBS had 2 in stock.........one for $2200 (the one i bought)....a 54...which fits me perfectly.........and one other one that was about $4000 outfited with a full record group, and really nice zipp wheels.

    i know i shoulda waited and just bought one online or gone somewhere else or something but after test riding the bike i totally fell in love..............triple crankset and all and ended up just buying it there on the spot. i also wanted a new bike in time for the Seattle to Portland ride.....again not a good excuse.....but i guess im young and dumb.

  4. #4
    Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin) Mr. Markets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    on my laptop
    My Bikes
    Longbikes Slipstream
    Posts
    4,067
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, so... why bag the triple anyway? weight issue? if you don't need the "granny gear" why not ignore it? just curious...

  5. #5
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm nice name... fat a**... sounds like me

    If he wants a double, then go to a double... I am sure he can sell some of the 105 parts off and make some of the cash back...
    Just your average club rider... :)

  6. #6
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,183
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_sxe
    my LBS had 2 in stock.........one for $2200 (the one i bought)....a 54...which fits me perfectly.........and one other one that was about $4000 outfited with a full record group, and really nice zipp wheels.

    i know i shoulda waited and just bought one online or gone somewhere else or something but after test riding the bike i totally fell in love..............triple crankset and all and ended up just buying it there on the spot. i also wanted a new bike in time for the Seattle to Portland ride.....again not a good excuse.....but i guess im young and dumb.
    Should have broke the bank and bought the Record bike. Nothing ShimaNo makes even comes close.


    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatA**
    okay, so... why bag the triple anyway? weight issue? if you don't need the "granny gear" why not ignore it? just curious...
    1. Lance rides a double.
    2. The fsa carbon crank matches my carbon bike
    3. I dont have a fat ass



    thanks for the help

  8. #8
    Made in Norway Lectron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going compact means more shifting in front, and we all know thatís not the exactly preferable.
    Having FullShịtAhead chainrings makes it even worse.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectron
    Going compact means more shifting in front, and we all know thatís not the exactly preferable.
    You're the first one in this thread to mention compact. Have you owned a compact double? I shift less in the front with my compact (50/34) than I did with a regular double (53/39) - just about all of my cruising is in the 50, whereas it used to be top end of the 39 / bottom end of the 53 depending on the terrain.

    In any case, when a drivetrain shifts nicely, who cares how often you shift it?

    Having FullShịtAhead chainrings makes it even worse.
    Wow. How insightful.

  10. #10
    Made in Norway Lectron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    You're the first one in this thread to mention compact. Have you owned a compact double? I shift less in the front with my compact (50/34) than I did with a regular double (53/39) - just about all of my cruising is in the 50, whereas it used to be top end of the 39 / bottom end of the 53 depending on the terrain.

    In any case, when a drivetrain shifts nicely, who cares how often you shift it?


    Wow. How insightful.
    I just presumed he was going compact since he had a triple, and yes. I actually own a compact and I experience a lot of shifting if I want to keep a good chainline.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectron
    ......... and I experience a lot of shifting if I want to keep a good chainline.
    Explain that one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    You're the first one in this thread to mention compact. Have you owned a compact double? I shift less in the front with my compact (50/34) than I did with a regular double (53/39) - just about all of my cruising is in the 50, whereas it used to be top end of the 39 / bottom end of the 53 depending on the terrain.

    In any case, when a drivetrain shifts nicely, who cares how often you shift it?


    Wow. How insightful.
    The point is usually made that wth a compact and the greater percentage diff between the rings, that when you shifft from the big to the small you have to often make an additional shift to a smaller cog in the rear relative to a normal 39 small ring.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,024
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, what size chainrings are on the FSA double? This does make a difference when selecting a front derailleur. Your triple derailleur may work, but less than ideally.

    All Shimano STI shifters except D-A are double/triple compatible.

    The rear triple derailleur will work well with the double, snobs may not like the way it looks.

    The bottom bracket needs to match up with the crankset, length and pattern.

    Al

  14. #14
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    The point is usually made that wth a compact and the greater percentage diff between the rings, that when you shifft from the big to the small you have to often make an additional shift to a smaller cog in the rear relative to a normal 39 small ring.
    Ah yes... the 'extra rear shift'.

    Big deal. Takes a split second more. I'd see it as an advantage - the bigger difference between the front chainrings means less overlap in the gears.

    Anyway, back on track. This thread isn't about compact doubles...

  15. #15
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    All Shimano STI shifters except D-A are double/triple compatible.
    10 speed Ultegra have separate double/triple brifters too.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,024
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    10 speed Ultegra have separate double/triple brifters too.
    Good, that's the way I like them.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    Chris, what size chainrings are on the FSA double? This does make a difference when selecting a front derailleur. Your triple derailleur may work, but less than ideally.

    All Shimano STI shifters except D-A are double/triple compatible.

    The rear triple derailleur will work well with the double, snobs may not like the way it looks.

    The bottom bracket needs to match up with the crankset, length and pattern.

    Al
    The chainrings are standard size for a double (39/53).....its not a compact.

    And thanks for actually helping me with my question

    Is there any reason why a double ultegra front derailleur wouldnt work with my 105 shifters?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_sxe
    Is there any reason why a double ultegra front derailleur wouldnt work with my 105 shifters?
    Nope... it'll work fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •