I recently acquired an old Specialized Epic Comp Road bike from the mid-90's for cheap. I can't ride it right now, it needs an overall...
1. Fork is loose, but headset lock nuts are tight... probably bearings?
2. looks like wheel hubs and Bottom bracket need new bearings (crunching feeling/sound).
3. Frame seems solid, but is not very nice esthetically... lots of scratches.
4. Wheels need aligment and front wheel needs new tire.
5. Needs new saddle and probably new pedals.
6. Other components (Shimano 105) seem solid, but need adjustment.
My question is: am I waisting my time with this bike? Should I just save the money and buy a new road bike like a Trek 1000 or something similar?
I want to bring it to my LBS, but since I know that they make a lot of money on repairs and parts compare to selling a new bike, I don't want them to rip me off...
I know it's hard for you to give comments wothout seeing the bike in person, but anyone have experiences or comments to share?
Thank you for your help!