Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-05, 02:14 PM   #1
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what the difference is between tubular or clincher. Is is the inner tube or tire? Do you have to reaplace a clincher equipped rim with only a clincer, blah, blah... Confused!!
__________________
"How did all those 'Keep Off the Grass' signs get there?"
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 02:19 PM   #2
Stubacca
Senior Member
 
Stubacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oztraylya
Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
Posts: 2,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
__________________
Stubacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 03:12 PM   #3
phidauex
Spoked to Death
 
phidauex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine Internal 8-speed, Scattante Ultegra roadie, Maserati fixie conversion
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In short... Clinchers are the 'regular' tires you've probably used before. They 'clinch' onto the rim of the tire, held in place by the pressure from the innertube.

Tubular tires have no tube, they are a whole tube of tire material, and they are glued or taped to the rim. They are lighter, but harder to fix, so are popular for racing, and not very popular for 'on the street' use.

There are also 'tubeless' tires, which are like car tires, they look like a clincher, but they seal against the rim, and then the rim and tire inflate with air with no innertube, they are pretty new, and are popular in mountainbike applications.

In general, the type of rim you have determines the tire you can use. Clinchers on clincher rims, tubulars on tubular rims. Tufo makes a tubular that can go on a clincher rim, but the opposite is never true.

peace,
sam
phidauex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 07:03 PM   #4
rmfnla
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)
Posts: 5,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
In short... Clinchers are the 'regular' tires you've probably used before. They 'clinch' onto the rim of the tire, held in place by the pressure from the innertube.

Tubular tires have no tube, they are a whole tube of tire material, and they are glued or taped to the rim. They are lighter, but harder to fix, so are popular for racing, and not very popular for 'on the street' use.

There are also 'tubeless' tires, which are like car tires, they look like a clincher, but they seal against the rim, and then the rim and tire inflate with air with no innertube, they are pretty new, and are popular in mountainbike applications.

In general, the type of rim you have determines the tire you can use. Clinchers on clincher rims, tubulars on tubular rims. Tufo makes a tubular that can go on a clincher rim, but the opposite is never true.

peace,
sam
Sam, of course tubulars have tubes; how do you think the air is kept in the tire? Sounds like you've never actually used them.

The big deal with tubulars is that they are sewn up before they are glued to the rim, which is why they are also called "sew-ups". This gives several benefits; see the link Stubacca so thoughtfully provided.

Interstingly enough, Sheldon omitted one tubular benefit; the rims tend to be stronger because they can be "roll-formed" instead of extruded. Other than that, they are a pain. especially considering how good clinchers are getting.
__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 11:21 PM   #5
phidauex
Spoked to Death
 
phidauex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine Internal 8-speed, Scattante Ultegra roadie, Maserati fixie conversion
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Sam, of course tubulars have tubes; how do you think the air is kept in the tire? Sounds like you've never actually used them.
Its true, I don't have extensive experience with them. But the ones I do have experience with don't have tubes, though I suppose most do. http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en

An exception to every rule..

peace,
sam
phidauex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 05:36 PM   #6
rmfnla
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)
Posts: 5,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I stand corrected; I never heard of those. Thanks for the link!

I rode tubulars for years, back in the toe-clip days. Tubes or not, the glue is a pain; I don't miss them.
__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 06:54 AM   #7
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC
 
king koeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tubulars also have the best ride, in terms of feel , cushion, grip, response,cornering, ride quality,,, ect. Back in the toe clip days (1975-1984), i rode century rides on nothing but sew-ups, mavic red label rims and campy large flange hubs with 110 pounds of pressure . Fantastic!! Campy Nuevo Record crank (drilled out) 52-42 with rear cluster 14,15,17,19,21,.
yes the glue is a pain, but do you want the tire to come off? hell no!
Properly done there is no mess and it's a breeze.
I still only ride on tubulars, the real deal!
king koeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 09:24 AM   #8
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC
 
king koeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget that Lance Armstrong and his whole discovery team from the tour de france rode on sew-ups!!!
king koeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 09:54 AM   #9
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Off topic...but yes, I remember the day. Sew-ups, toe-clips, steel alloy frames, downtube shifters, some cat named Eddie Mercx (sp?) and a young Greg Lemond.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 05:58 PM   #10
rmfnla
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)
Posts: 5,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by king koeller
Tubulars also have the best ride, in terms of feel , cushion, grip, response,cornering, ride quality,,, ect. Back in the toe clip days (1975-1984), i rode century rides on nothing but sew-ups, mavic red label rims and campy large flange hubs with 110 pounds of pressure . Fantastic!! Campy Nuevo Record crank (drilled out) 52-42 with rear cluster 14,15,17,19,21,.
yes the glue is a pain, but do you want the tire to come off? hell no!
Properly done there is no mess and it's a breeze.
I still only ride on tubulars, the real deal!
I hear ya, king! Regina freewheels & chains, Cinelli bars, stem & seat ( never did like those Brooks or Ideals; too heavy!), Campy everything else.

I had a tire come off once; I was doing a track stand waiting for my buddies (to go do a century!) and the tire rolled right off the rim. I hadn't had a flat in so long the glue dried up; broke my collar bone, but I still did the ride. I think those tire were Canettis; I know the frame was a 531 Crescent w/ Nervex lugs & a Wagner Crown.

Hey, I'm not old enough to have "good old days"!

__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 03:12 PM   #11
puddin' legs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
train on clinchers, race on sew-ups. The sew-up ride is still better. The only folks who claim otherwise haven't ridden both.
puddin' legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.