Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I didn't have anything else handy, I ran my Shimano index-8 rear derailleur cable through some cheap (no teflon liner) brake housing. It seems to work fine! Is brake cable "stiffer" than derailleur housing by nature? Should I change to some "real" derailleur housing with both radial and axial wraps and a teflon liner?

    Also, I used some of the same cheap brake housing for my front cable-actuated Avid disc brake. The brake seems "sticky" with discreet "jerks" in the lever actuation as the lever is depressed. Is there anything I can do to make the existing brake housing better (lubrication? filing/buffing the cable ends smoother?) or should I just go buy some teflon-lined brake cable housing?

    Finally, (and I know that this is a loaded question), what brand(s) of high quality derailleur and brake cable housing should I buy to keep on hand for future projects?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by FarHorizon; 07-31-05 at 12:15 PM. Reason: forgot to close a parenthesis

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon

    Finally, (and I know that this is a loaded question), what brand(s) of high quality derailleur and brake cable housing should I buy to keep on hand for future projects?

    Thanks.
    Why waste good beer money?? Lined bulk casing works as good as any.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Also, I used some of the same cheap brake housing for my front cable-actuated Avid disc brake. The brake seems "sticky" with discreet "jerks" in the lever actuation as the lever is depressed. Is there anything I can do to make the existing brake housing better (lubrication? filing/buffing the cable ends smoother?) or should I just go buy some teflon-lined brake cable housing?

    Thanks.
    I usually lube the cables and drip lube thru the housing before I install. I use a "dry" lube, specifically, Prolink, but I assume any dry chain lube is good. I've even sprayed hardware store bought silicone thru the housings since it's dry. Lubing the cables/housing makes a difference. Remember, each curve in the housing is a friction point. In fact, I replace cables once a year - not because of structural integrity of the cables, but more to clean and relube all. I reuse housing, but use Shimano cables ($1.50 for shifter cable at www.jensonusa.com).

    When cutting housing, you could end up with pinched off areas or rough edges, both problem areas. I use cutters designed for cables and housing, but it's never a bad idea to file sharp edges or open up the cable at the cut.

    It looks like you could get some pretty fancy cable/housing sets, but I'll leave the recommendations to others.

  4. #4
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    Why waste good beer money?? Lined bulk casing works as good as any.
    I believe you, sydney. Where do I buy "lined bulk casing" and what is a good price for a spool?

  5. #5
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I believe you, sydney. Where do I buy "lined bulk casing" and what is a good price for a spool?
    I've bought it a LBS for about $1/ft. www.loosescrews.com also runs special sales.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •