Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Bolo Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What automotive greese should I use on my bike?

    For things like putting greese on the pedal threads, bolt threads and such?

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried a search?? We do grease about once a week.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bolo Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    Tried a search?? We do grease about once a week.
    yes I did try a search, but maybe I need help with that as well. None of the threads that came up anwered my question.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Really high quality stuff, and far cheaper than the bicycle-specific stuff.

    *edit* grease is grease, so don't be afraid of the cheaper stuff... I buy the Mobil 1 stuff since it's not much more expensive than the cheap stuff, and between the amount I use on our bikes and the amount I use on our cars, a tub of grease will last a heckuva long time!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bolo Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca
    Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Really high quality stuff, and far cheaper than the bicycle-specific stuff.

    *edit* grease is grease, so don't be afraid of the cheaper stuff... I buy the Mobil 1 stuff since it's not much more expensive than the cheap stuff, and between the amount I use on our bikes and the amount I use on our cars, a tub of grease will last a heckuva long time!

    Thank you, that answers my question

  6. #6
    Senior Member Surferbruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Aveyron France
    Posts
    5,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more vote for mobil one synthetic

  7. #7
    Its a Lemming thing... jester69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get one of these from any hardware store near the chainsaws, you can inject into hubs & speedplay's too if you buy by the cartridge & have a ***:

    http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/32-9018.html?mv_pc=Froogle

    take care,

    Jester
    If you are in St. Louis, MO or surrounding areas it is imperative that you check this out: www.stlbikeworks.com.

    Bikeworks is: A nonprofit bike co-operative to benefit all who come in contact with it.
    Bikeworks needs: Donations of bikes, Volunteers, people to buy cheap cool bike stuff.

    (selling: fixed gear and fixie stuff. Frames. Drivetrain bits from campagnolo, shimano, etc. Wheels and Wheelsets. Modern parts and vintage rarities. Whole bikes that are checked out and ready to go.

  8. #8
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
    yes I did try a search, but maybe I need help with that as well. None of the threads that came up anwered my question.
    Apparently you do. However Marine Trailer Bearing grease is $3 for a 1lb can at Home Depot and it's the same stuff as Park grease and Phil's that gets sold for a whole lot more

  9. #9
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the boat-trailer bearing grease too. It has better tackiness doesn't get pushed out of the way as easily as the regular auto-grease.

  10. #10
    ride, paint, ride simplify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R300 Caad2
    Posts
    1,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had a problem with automotive or marine greases and rubber seals? I have the old style bottom brackets with the little black seals where the BB spindle comes out of the cups, and I don't want to take a chance on dissolving or damaging those seals. Anyone know if these greases will do that? Thanks!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawkd
    Has anyone had a problem with automotive or marine greases and rubber seals? I have the old style bottom brackets with the little black seals where the BB spindle comes out of the cups, and I don't want to take a chance on dissolving or damaging those seals. Anyone know if these greases will do that? Thanks!
    Should be fine.

    Regarding which grease to use, I also like the marine grease since it's a little thicker than common greases and is water resistant. If just using on threads and the like however, the cheapest grease available would be fine as well.

  12. #12
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    Should be fine.

    Regarding which grease to use, I also like the marine grease since it's a little thicker than common greases and is water resistant. If just using on threads and the like however, the cheapest grease available would be fine as well.
    You won't find decent grease much cheaper than $3 a pound.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The green marine anti corrosion grease I feel works the best. Not only does it stay put, but it is compatable with aluminum and steel, whereas not all greases are good for both. If you have titanium, be careful. I believe you can only use anti-sieze for that stuff, or it fuses together.

  14. #14
    Bammmm! baomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tempe AZ / Woodbridge VA
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i look for a grease with an Al complex, it has better washout and water resistance than Li grease.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •