Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    top tube routing for bar end shifters

    I am considering converting my Trek 930 for touring. Both derailleur cable are routed on top of the top tube. Can I switch from straight bars to drops with bar end shifters and use the top tube routing. Or will I have to route the cables along the down tube? All the articles I have read only mention down tube routing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capt-kirk
    I am considering converting my Trek 930 for touring. Both derailleur cable are routed on top of the top tube. Can I switch from straight bars to drops with bar end shifters and use the top tube routing. Or will I have to route the cables along the down tube? All the articles I have read only mention down tube routing.
    They will go along the toptube just dandy.

  3. #3
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. And if you want a nicer look, you could even conceal the derailleur cables all the way under your bar tape, just like the brake cables. If you do that, however, you'll need a 3-m-long tandem-length cable for the rear shifter.

    Cables seen here (towards the end).
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  4. #4
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's no big deal but you won't have the luxury of having barrel adjusters for your derailleur cables on a mtb frame when converting to bar end shifters regardless of cable routing. You can install in-line adjusters if you feel you must have them.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  5. #5
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    It's no big deal but you won't have the luxury of having barrel adjusters for your derailleur cables on a mtb frame when converting to bar end shifters regardless of cable routing. You can install in-line adjusters if you feel you must have them.
    Another option is to go with one of these barrel adjusters that slide into a cable stop on the frame:


    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your help. juicemouse - what is the source for the barrel adjuster you have pictured?

  7. #7
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capt-kirk
    Thanks all for your help. juicemouse - what is the source for the barrel adjuster you have pictured?
    I got one at my LBS, and I'll bet you can too.
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  8. #8
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicemouse
    Another option is to go with one of these barrel adjusters that slide into a cable stop on the frame:
    If I remember correctly, those adjusters did not slip into the frame cable stops as the stops were flushly mounted on the frame. I tried them. Those adjusters are primarily designed for use with canti brake cable hangers. Who knows, go to your LBS and pick one up and see if they fit. They usually have them laying around in their parts bin.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  9. #9
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    If I remember correctly, those adjusters did not slip into the frame cable stops as the stops were flushly mounted on the frame. I tried them. Those adjusters are primarily designed for canti brake cable hangers. Who knows, go to your LBS and pick one up and see if they fit. They usually have them laying around in their parts bin.
    Nah, these are specifically designed for it. They're the right diameter to fit (very) snugly into the cable guide. It's a little hard to see it in that picture, but there are two little bumps on the outside that rest against the frame tube and prevent it from turning as you adjust it. Just what the doctor ordered.
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  10. #10
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicemouse
    Nah, these are specifically designed for it. They're the right diameter to fit (very) snugly into the cable guide. It's a little hard to see it in that picture, but there are two little bumps on the outside that rest against the frame tube and prevent it from turning as you adjust it. Just what the doctor ordered.
    Even if the do work with his frame,they are a waste of time. A friction front doesn't need one,and the few times my RD had needed a 1/4 turn to fine tune shifting,it's been no big deal to dismount and do it.If one is a pro racing for a living,then they aren't too likely to be using bar end shifters anyway.

  11. #11
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    Even if the do work with his frame,they are a waste of time. A friction front doesn't need one,and the few times my RD had needed a 1/4 turn to fine tune shifting,it's been no big deal to dismount and do it.If one is a pro racing for a living,then they aren't too likely to be using bar end shifters anyway.
    Yeah, I agree. Got a little sidetracked there. The only reason I got one is for my Sram RD, which doesn't have a built-in adjuster.
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  12. #12
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicemouse
    Nah, these are specifically designed for it. They're the right diameter to fit (very) snugly into the cable guide. It's a little hard to see it in that picture, but there are two little bumps on the outside that rest against the frame tube and prevent it from turning as you adjust it. Just what the doctor ordered.
    Ahh....good to know, for future reference. Thanks.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning on using Rivendell shifters which are friction only. So I guess the barrel adjusters not really needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •