Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-05, 09:38 AM   #1
Flynn
Duathlete
Thread Starter
 
Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing Crank

Right now I am riding a 2004 Specialized Allez Elite Triple road bike. I never use my 3rd ring and am now looking to change to a double. Is this a very involved process or is it as simple as switching one for the other? I am using Shimano 105 components so do I need to buy a Shimano 105 double crank? Thank you in advance for your help.
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 09:49 AM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Right now I am riding a 2004 Specialized Allez Elite Triple road bike. I never use my 3rd ring and am now looking to change to a double. Is this a very involved process or is it as simple as switching one for the other? I am using Shimano 105 components so do I need to buy a Shimano 105 double crank? Thank you in advance for your help.
Ya don't have to buy a shimano double 105 crank, but you will have to buy the correct BB for the crank you choose. The 105 triple uses a 118 octalinkspindle and the double uses a 109.5
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 09:50 AM   #3
Flynn
Duathlete
Thread Starter
 
Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Ya don't have to buy a shimano double 105 crank, but you will have to buy the correct BB for the crank you choose. The 105 triple uses a 118 octalinkspindle and the double uses a 109.5
Thanks for the info!
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 10:31 AM   #4
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Ya don't have to buy a shimano double 105 crank, but you will have to buy the correct BB for the crank you choose. The 105 triple uses a 118 octalinkspindle and the double uses a 109.5
That's correct. However, there's no need to buy a new crank, you can just remove the small chainring and its bolts and installthe shorter bottom bracket. It would work with the original bottom bracket too, but the chainline will be better with the 109 mm BB.

Sheldon "Chainline" Brown

Code:
+------------------------------------------------------------+
|     A touchstone to determine the actual worth of an       |
|  "intellectual"--find out how he feels about astrology.    |
|                                  --Robert A. Heinlein      |
+------------------------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 11:19 AM   #5
Flynn
Duathlete
Thread Starter
 
Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
That's correct. However, there's no need to buy a new crank, you can just remove the small chainring and its bolts and installthe shorter bottom bracket. It would work with the original bottom bracket too, but the chainline will be better with the 109 mm BB.

Sheldon "Chainline" Brown

Code:
+------------------------------------------------------------+
|     A touchstone to determine the actual worth of an       |
|  "intellectual"--find out how he feels about astrology.    |
|                                  --Robert A. Heinlein      |
+------------------------------------------------------------+
However, aren't the chain rings in doubles different sizes than those on triples? I am mostly concerned about the available gear ratio on climbs. Though I want to go to a double, I do not want to torture myself with very difficult gear ratios.
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 12:32 PM   #6
Surferbruce
Senior Member
 
Surferbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles/Aveyron France
Bikes:
Posts: 5,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my wife rides a triple minus the inner ring. often triples will have a 42 tooth middle ring and doubles a 39 tooth. i swapped my wifes 42 for a 38(smallest you can go on your cranks)....
....is it me or does that last sentence sound disturbing?

love it when sir sheldon takes time to reply. bravo!
Surferbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 03:03 PM   #7
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So all needed is to remove a chain ring? And maybe a new BB? How much would a new BB run? Would it work right?

Elvish
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 03:10 PM   #8
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
So all needed is to remove a chain ring? And maybe a new BB? How much would a new BB run? Would it work right?
See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/botto...s.html#shimano

The 105 version is $43.95, Ultegra is $55.95. Either would work, but I think the Ultegra is a wee bit lighter.

Sheldon "Parts" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------+
|   It is good to learn from your mistakes;               |
|   It is better to learn from the mistakes of others.    |
+---------------------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 03:12 PM   #9
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/botto...s.html#shimano

The 105 version is $43.95, Ultegra is $55.95. Either would work, but I think the Ultegra is a wee bit lighter.

Sheldon "Parts" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------+
|   It is good to learn from your mistakes;               |
|   It is better to learn from the mistakes of others.    |
+---------------------------------------------------------+

Score for $43.95 I could have a fake double
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 05:34 PM   #10
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just making sure I have what I need.

New BB, double? Can be picked up at LBS?
Adjust Shifter lever so it doesn't try to skip?
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 06:05 PM   #11
capwater
Senior Member
 
capwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quahog, RI
Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Just making sure I have what I need.

New BB, double? Can be picked up at LBS?
Adjust Shifter lever so it doesn't try to skip?
Cheapest: Take off the granny ring and adjust limit screw on front derailler.
Middle: Take off the granny ring, put in a 109.5 BB and adjust limit screw on FD.
Ideal: Swapout for double cranks, install new BB and adjust limit screw.
Ultimate: Ideal plus short cage rear derailler and shorten chain.

On either option involving keeping your old crank you can always swap out the 42 ring for a 39. Probably about $25 mail order. Everything is fairly easy to do although you will need a BB socket and a crank puller.
capwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 07:02 PM   #12
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capwater
Cheapest: Take off the granny ring and adjust limit screw on front derailler.
Middle: Take off the granny ring, put in a 109.5 BB and adjust limit screw on FD.
Ideal: Swapout for double cranks, install new BB and adjust limit screw.
Ultimate: Ideal plus short cage rear derailler and shorten chain.
In the cheapest case the chainline will blow. In the other two there is more to it than 'adjusting the limit screw'. The derailer has to be readjusted starting with the shifter in the smallest ring opsition and both limits will need adjusting. Best to start ar the beginning as per www.parktool.com repair section. Depending on how the chain was sized to begin with the chain length may be ok,but it would not hurt to check it.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 07:04 PM   #13
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Just making sure I have what I need.

New BB, double? Can be picked up at LBS?
Adjust Shifter lever so it doesn't try to skip?
You adjust the derailer.See post #12.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 02:48 PM   #14
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth/Keller Texas
Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'll see how much LBS wants for a double crank and new BB, seems pretty simple, and they will adjust anything that needs to be with out me worring about doing it right. So I will price 'Ideal' set up, LBS usally cuts me a good deal, esp since they can resell the BB and crank (brand new bike one comes in triple)
Elvish Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.