Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-05, 01:14 PM   #1
Impoliticus
roadie (mostly)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Iron Horse Cyclone and a Jamis Exile
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm trying to convert my hardtail to a touring rig for an upcoming tour so I'm looking for a new fork. I've purchased a new wheelset (XT hubs and mavic A719 rims). My question is, since my hubs are 135mm will a road fork (assuming 1-1/8" tube and 700cc) work? Or are road forks always set up to accept 130mm hubs? I'm trying to buy cheap non-suspension fork, a la e-bay, so it's important that I get everything right.
Impoliticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:17 PM   #2
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impoliticus
Hi all. I'm trying to convert my hardtail to a touring rig for an upcoming tour so I'm looking for a new fork. I've purchased a new wheelset (XT hubs and mavic A719 rims). My question is, since my hubs are 135mm will a road fork (assuming 1-1/8" tube and 700cc) work? Or are road forks always set up to accept 130mm hubs? I'm trying to buy cheap non-suspension fork, a la e-bay, so it's important that I get everything right.
Front hubs are 110 mm on all modern bikes, whether mountain or road or anything else (hmmm, maybe hardcore downhill bikes are different, but I don't think so).

Anyway, the 135 mm vs. 130 mm difference is only for REAR wheels.

Last edited by moxfyre; 08-04-05 at 01:25 PM.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:20 PM   #3
Impoliticus
roadie (mostly)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Iron Horse Cyclone and a Jamis Exile
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh wow, i had no idea, thanks!
Impoliticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:52 PM   #4
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Front hubs are 110 mm on all modern bikes, whether mountain or road or anything else (hmmm, maybe hardcore downhill bikes are different, but I don't think so).
Actually,it's 100, except 110 for 20mm thru axel types.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:58 PM   #5
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Actually,it's 100, except 110 for 20mm thru axel types.
My bad! Anyway, they're all the same except for those crazy thru axles...
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.