Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-05, 06:12 AM   #1
Dan0930
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Campy 8 speed with 7 speed compatibility

I'm looking to use a 8 speed campy ergo shifters with a 7 speed setup. I was wondering if I also need a campy deraillier or can i use the current 7 speed 105 der.
Dan0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 08:52 AM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0930
I'm looking to use a 8 speed campy ergo shifters with a 7 speed setup. I was wondering if I also need a campy deraillier or can i use the current 7 speed 105 der.
Campy and shimano RD have different throw ratios. You will have better luck with a campy RD.Index systems just don't randomly intermix among brands..
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 06:58 AM   #3
juicemouse
Senior Member
 
juicemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Happy Valley
Bikes:
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Campy and shimano RD have different throw ratios. You will have better luck with a campy RD.Index systems just don't randomly intermix among brands..

sydney's right on the money. Full details, and some stuff you might not have thought of yet:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

It appears you could also replace the shift disk in your Campy lever with a pre-2001 9s one and "hubbub" the Shimano rear derailleur, but I think just using the shifters the way you have them with a pre-2001 Campy rear derailleur would give you the best shifting. 7s Shimano Sora shifters are still available too, if you're interested...
__________________
It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...
juicemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 07:07 AM   #4
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My current Campy setup:

Record Ergo shifters
Record RD
Sachs Aris 7-speed FW

I have no problems with shifting. Every gear hits just fine.
monogodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 07:23 AM   #5
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monogodo
My current Campy setup:

Record Ergo shifters
Record RD
Sachs Aris 7-speed FW

I have no problems with shifting. Every gear hits just fine.
When you post this mix and match stuff it would help others to understand if you mentioned shifter speed and cog spacing. Otherwise it's just drivel. There are lots of cobbed combinations that work because the combinations really are compatible or 'close enough', and sometimes you just get lucky. Hoping to 'get lucky' can cost alot of time,money and frustration when working with index systems.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 08:36 AM   #6
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For you, sydney:

Record Ergo 8-speed shifters
Record 8-speed RD
Sachs Aris 7-speed FW

Sorry I wasn't clear that I was using 8-speed Record equipment. If the user had followed the link in the post above mine, he would have seen that the spacing would be the same. Or, if he had read every post I'd ever made about my setup, he would already know that I'm running 8-speed Ergo parts. You seem to have no problem with knowing everything about everyone's setups based on what they've posted in the past, I guess I figured that he would , too.

Sorry to offend you, oh great cycling god.
monogodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 08:46 AM   #7
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monogodo
For you, sydney:

Record Ergo 8-speed shifters
Record 8-speed RD
Sachs Aris 7-speed FW

Sorry I wasn't clear that I was using 8-speed Record equipment. If the user had followed the link in the post above mine, he would have seen that the spacing would be the same. Or, if he had read every post I'd ever made about my setup, he would already know that I'm running 8-speed Ergo parts. You seem to have no problem with knowing everything about everyone's setups based on what they've posted in the past, I guess I figured that he would , too.

Sorry to offend you, oh great cycling god.
Well HFC, no wonder it works. The cog spacing on that 7 speed freewheel is the came as campy 8 speed cog spacing. campy 7 and 8 spacing is 5mm. Shimano 7 is 5mm and 8 is 4.8mm. That doesn't even get into the differences in cable pull/derailer throw issues between different systems.... If you didn't notice, his question threw the shimano RD into the mix too ..... FWIW, I'm sure everybody,epecially n00bs have read and remembered every post of everyones and what they are runnning...
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 05:56 PM   #8
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Well HFC, no wonder it works. The cog spacing on that 7 speed freewheel is the came as campy 8 speed cog spacing. campy 7 and 8 spacing is 5mm. Shimano 7 is 5mm and 8 is 4.8mm. That doesn't even get into the differences in cable pull/derailer throw issues between different systems.... If you didn't notice, his question threw the shimano RD into the mix too .....
You know, I almost posted that I agreed with you with regards to mixing brands in my initial post. Now I wish I had, just 'cause it would have shut you up.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm sure everybody,epecially n00bs have read and remembered every post of everyones and what they are runnning...
You've called me on it before, when I made statements based on the facts presented, and wasn't aware, like you were, that the original poster had previously posted other pertinent information in another post. I guess it's ok for you to do it, but not me. Glad to know it.
monogodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 06:05 PM   #9
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monogodo
I guess it's ok for you to do it, but not me. Glad to know it.
Yeah, sydney is special.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-05, 07:24 AM   #10
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Yeah, sydney is special.
Yeah, short-bus special.
monogodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.