Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    Learsport 8500 ultegra road bike
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ##
    Last edited by Jules2408; 09-27-05 at 12:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're the new R550 wheels, those have stainless spokes and I have a hard time believing they're rusting. Maybe they're just dirty?
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,228
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spokes are stainless steel.

  4. #4
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touch a magnet to 'em; stainless spokes are usually 304 alloy which is non-magnetic.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  5. #5
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules2408
    Thanks. The wheels are Shimano 550s and the spokes are not stainless steel unfortunately. Wish they were. I keep my bike very clean and I know rust and I know stainless when I see it.

    Thanks J
    I'm pretty sure Shimano never made any of their wheels with anything but stainless spokes. It's pretty much universal on anything but the very cheapest wheels. If these are your wheels, check out the specs here: http://tinyurl.com/bdwsu
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  6. #6
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules2408
    Thanks. I tried the magnet test as suggested. The magnet grips the spokes on my R550s like they would any other steel.

    Regards J
    Wow, that's bizarre.

    High quality bike modern bike wheel are NEVER built with plain steel spokes. Where did you get these wheels?
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  7. #7
    cycle-dog spot DinoShepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed
    Posts
    1,436
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stainless is just that. stains - less.

    The stainless used in most modern production is fairly high carbon and will corrode under the right circumstances.

    I have no specific knowledge of the Shimano wheels, but this holds true for items such as firearms, etc...

    -Z

  8. #8
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
    Stainless is just that. stains - less.

    The stainless used in most modern production is fairly high carbon and will corrode under the right circumstances.

    I have no specific knowledge of the Shimano wheels, but this holds true for items such as firearms, etc...

    -Z
    Well, sort of...

    It's not the carbon content that allows corrosion, it's the iron.

    The addition of chromium and nickle is what gives stainless its rust-resistance, and yes, sometimes it rusts anyway.

    Also, some stainless alloys will attract a magnet, just to make things more confusing.

    I would be very interested in hearing (reading) what the Shimano rep has to say!
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  9. #9
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules2408
    I spoke to Shimano and took the WH -R550 wheels over to the local Shimano office/warehouse. As the wheels were still in warranty (12 months warranty) they were both replaced without question. The front wheel spoke corrosion was much more significant than on the rear wheel. It was hard to get much comment from the office but one rep told me that there had been a problem with a batch of wheels. I gathered that they had certainly seen this spoke corrosion problem before. I must say that Shimano were really excellent to deal with - new WH -R550 wheels with new skewers and new rim tape . Full credit to Shimano for standing by their product and warranty and for being so helpful in replacing the wheels for me so promptly. (This contrasts with the bike dealer who had no interest in helping). So I am very grateful to Shimano who have demonstrated that they will stand by their customers.
    Glad to hear you got it worked out! Certainly an odd problem, too bad you didn't pry 'em for a little more information on how that happened
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  10. #10
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll be picking up a bike tonight with black spokes, I'll be taking a magnet along.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  11. #11
    Deported by koffee allgoo19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    1,187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, I tried the magnet on my wheels. Yep, my spoke pull s the magnet, but not as strong as non-stainless steel. And yes, they are supposed to be stainless steel.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    See sig.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm, stainless and non-stainless are both magnetic. Stainless steels simply have 15-20% chromium in them. The other 80% is still, well, steel...

  13. #13
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
    Erm, stainless and non-stainless are both magnetic. Stainless steels simply have 15-20% chromium in them. The other 80% is still, well, steel...
    Magnetic properties of materials are very complex: just because 80% of a material is magnetic on its own doesn't mean that the whole thing has even remotely similar properties. The alloying of iron with other metals (even in very small quantities) can affect the crystal structure of the alloy, which upsets the conditions required for ferromagnetism.

    If I recall correctly, stainless steels containing nickel, even just a few %, are non-magnetic because the nickel causes the iron to crystallize in a structure called Austenite that won't allow ferromagnetism. On the other hand, low-nickel stainless steels crystallize in the Ferrite structure similar to pure iron, and these ARE ferromagnetic.

    There are tons of different stainless steel alloys, some are strongly ferromagnetic (= attracted to a bar magnet), some aren't. In any case, I have no idea what alloy is used for bike spokes. I am guessing that spoke materials are chosen for their corrosion-resistance, strength, and cost--rather than for magnetic properties
    Last edited by moxfyre; 09-02-05 at 08:52 AM.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  14. #14
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What moxfyre said.

    I have various grade stainless here at home, some are slightly attracted, others not at all. The better quality is not. My quality kitchen cutlery is not attracted, the cheapos are. So a spoke attracted to a magnet is not the final test. But I'm happy to report the bike I picked up tonight spokes are not ferromagnetic.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •