Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    25 Miles East of St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dura Ace Front Brake Mounting

    Hello,

    I have another problem. I started to mount my new Dura ace brakes on my Trek 5500 but the stud is to short on the front brake to mount on the fork. Is there a longer nut made for this or can I change the stud? I tried Shamano's web site but found no way to contact them. The nut would have to be very long because I already tried the one on my 5200. It was longer but still to short.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are longer nuts available, yep. A bike shop that sells Kestrels would certainly carry them, if there's such a shop nearby.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek or lemond dealrers are your best bet.they deal with it all the time

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to insult you ( because I've made this mistake), but are you sure it's a front brake caliper? The current 5200 and 5500 share the same fork! So what works on one should work on the other...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    25 Miles East of St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cogito
    Not trying to insult you ( because I've made this mistake), but are you sure it's a front brake caliper? The current 5200 and 5500 share the same fork! So what works on one should work on the other...

    You misunderstand, the 5200 has a 105 brake. The Dura Ace are going on a 5500. The 105 has a longer stud and nut. I tried the longer nut from the 105 on the Dura Ace but it was still to short. If I use the brake I put on the back and put it on the front. The brake with the short stud still will not work on the back.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I understood right, but the Dura Ace brake with the long stud is the front brake and the one with the short stud is the rear brake. Do you mean that you've had trouble with the shorter-stud DA brake on the rear of your bike, and have used the front brake on the rear as a result?

    If you did use the front brake on the rear, I hope you switched the brake pads left to right also, because the pad cartridge could slide right out of the holder if the open end faces the front of the bike.

    Sorry if I'm not interpreting your wording correctly :confused:

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    25 Miles East of St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the brakes both ways. I did switch the brake pads. Still to short. Went to the bike shop and purchased The Problem Solver (longer nuts). I only purchased one now I have to go back for another, $6.00 a piece.

    Thanks for all of the help.

  8. #8
    Just Pedaling
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silveradoboomer
    Hello,

    I have another problem. I started to mount my new Dura ace brakes on my Trek 5500 but the stud is to short on the front brake to mount on the fork. Is there a longer nut made for this or can I change the stud? I tried Shamano's web site but found no way to contact them. The nut would have to be very long because I already tried the one on my 5200. It was longer but still to short.

    Thanks,
    Got the same problem here with my new 7800 DA brakeset on a trek 5500. Were you able to find a longer recessed nut? I went to my LBS but they don't have it. I'll check my closest trek dealers to find out.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    25 Miles East of St. Louis
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezryder03
    Got the same problem here with my new 7800 DA brakeset on a trek 5500. Were you able to find a longer recessed nut? I went to my LBS but they don't have it. I'll check my closest trek dealers to find out.

    Yes I did purchase the long nuts. They are not cheap about $6.00 a piece. Any bike shop that handles high end road components should have them or be able to order some. I have not compared the 7800 brakeset with mine so I don't know if you will need a longer nut than I used or not. I have looked online, but have had no success.

    silveradoboomer

  10. #10
    Just Pedaling
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silveradoboomer
    Yes I did purchase the long nuts. They are not cheap about $6.00 a piece. Any bike shop that handles high end road components should have them or be able to order some. I have not compared the 7800 brakeset with mine so I don't know if you will need a longer nut than I used or not. I have looked online, but have had no success.

    silveradoboomer
    I needed a longer nut. Can't even touch the nut to the bolt/stud on my 7800 DA brakeset. Called a trek dealer today and said they have it i will go monday to purchase a pair of longer nuts. Got the same trek 5500. Here's a picture of my unfinished bike.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rancid_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 1FG, older Cannondale F-500, Custom F-600 Cannondale, Masi Gran Corsa, and a steel bike hand built by my father
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it's the beer talking or what, but that's going to be a nice ride once it's finnished. Good luck.

  12. #12
    Just Pedaling
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rancid_chicken
    I don't know if it's the beer talking or what, but that's going to be a nice ride once it's finnished. Good luck.
    Rancid _chicken, i use to live there in cookeville before from 92-97. How's the city now? I've heard the city is growing. Anyway, i went to the bike pedlar in nashville and was able to get a pair of longer nuts monday and will start putting the record cables and wrap the handle bars. Thanks guys and will post the complete bike when it is finished.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just curious, what was your rationale for using record brake levers and group and the dura-ace brakes? It'll work fine, but I'm just curious as to why you just didn't buy the whole group?

  14. #14
    Just Pedaling
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatman
    just curious, what was your rationale for using record brake levers and group and the dura-ace brakes? It'll work fine, but I'm just curious as to why you just didn't buy the whole group?
    It's just a preference. I did not buy the " group parts ". I bought it one at a time. I believe i was able to buy it for 20% less with patience and research.

  15. #15
    Senior Member rancid_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 1FG, older Cannondale F-500, Custom F-600 Cannondale, Masi Gran Corsa, and a steel bike hand built by my father
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exryder03: Cookeville has really grown in that amount of since you've lived here.

    It's sort of sad to hear that the Bike Pedlar is going out of business after something like 34 years in business.

  16. #16
    Just Pedaling
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rancid_chicken

    It's sort of sad to hear that the Bike Pedlar is going out of business after something like 34 years in business.
    Go check them out, they have 50% off helmets, sidi, carnac and dmt shoes. Bikes and frames are also at closeout prices. They have wheelsets at 30% off on spinergy and mavic's. I bought a couple parts and ultimate bike stands at 50% off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •