Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am a newbie to cycling. I am trying to restore a Paramount and was looking for the above parts or even if they make them. Currently using RX but would like to upgrade to Dura-ace STI shifters. Also looking for the appropriate Dura-ace Part #'s for front and rear derailer for a 7 speed cassette. (7400 series??)

    Also having problems dating the frame and have had no luck getting back answers from Waterford or Schwinn. #2E01905 Red/White/Blue color scheme. Series PDG.

    I appreciate any help you can provide.Thanks,

    LEFTY
    Last edited by leftygun69; 09-12-05 at 10:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no 7 speed DA STI. You don't need a 7 speeed specific RD for a 7 speed cassette. But if you do find an early 7400 series RD,you will also need the corresponding 7400 series DA shifter to shift it.

  3. #3
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftygun69
    Also having problems dating the frame and have had no luck getting back answers from Waterford or Schwinn. #2E01905 Red/White/Blue color scheme. Series PDG.

    I appreciate any help you can provide.Thanks,

    LEFTY
    You sound like you have a Japanese made Paramount. They were very nice bikes but not made in Chicago or by Waterford. Probably not worth the effort to restore or sink a lot of money in. On the other hand they are really nice bikes to ride. So far no real appreciation for Japanese Paramounts. Do a search on the forums using "japanese Paramount". There a few posts describing them. Good Luck.

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  4. #4
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the frame material sticker (bottom of seat tube) say? The head tube badge have a number stamped on it?
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  5. #5
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftygun69
    I am trying to restore a Paramount and was looking for the above parts or even if they make them. Currently using RX but would like to upgrade to Dura-ace STI shifters. Also looking for the appropriate Dura-ace Part #'s for front and rear derailer for a 7 speed cassette. (7400 series??)

    Also having problems dating the frame and have had no luck getting back answers from Waterford or Schwinn... Series PDG.
    Going from RX100 to 7-speed Dura-Ace would be a downgrade not an upgrade. RX100 was much newer than 7-speed Dura-Ace.

    In general, you want to avoid any pre-9-speed Dura-Ace stuff, because it's an orphaned line. Generally inferior to the newer stuff even at lower price points, and with various interchangeability issues.

    If you want more details about old Dura-Ace, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace

    The PDG frames, I believe, were Japanese, and neither Waterford nor the current owners of the Schwinn brand name had anything to do with them.

    Sheldon "Don't Be Fooled By Labels" Brown
    Code:
    +--------------------------------------------+
    |  I refuse to cooperate with the obnoxious  |
    |  “challenge/response” anti-spam systems    |
    |  like Spamblocker and Spamarrest           |
    |  If you use one of these systems to write  |
    |  to me, you will never see my reply,       |
    |  because I treat the “challenge” emails    |
    |  as the spam they are.                     |
    +--------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  6. #6
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    The PDG frames, I believe, were Japanese, and neither Waterford nor the current owners of the Schwinn brand name had anything to do with them.

    Sheldon "Don't Be Fooled By Labels" Brown
    Code:
    +--------------------------------------------+
    |  I refuse to cooperate with the obnoxious  |
    |  “challenge/response” anti-spam systems    |
    |  like Spamblocker and Spamarrest           |
    |  If you use one of these systems to write  |
    |  to me, you will never see my reply,       |
    |  because I treat the “challenge” emails    |
    |  as the spam they are.                     |
    +--------------------------------------------+
    Try calling Richard Schwinn and asking him. He won't even give you the time of day concerning Japanese Schwinns. That's why the serial # is all wrong for a Waterford built Paramount. Good Luck

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  7. #7
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1
    Try calling Richard Schwinn and asking him. He won't even give you the time of day concerning Japanese Schwinns.
    No reason he should. He's a very busy guy (though I've always found him friendly and helpful) and those bikes have nothing to do with Waterford.

    Many folks in the business don't believe that knowing the specific year of production of an older bike is that important, or worth their time and trouble to research for a random stranger, even if they might have access to the information in some dusty archive.

    I must admit that I too get tired of "What year is this bike?" and "How much is it worth?" questions, though I'm very glad to answer "how can I fix this?" and "will this work?" questions.

    Sheldon "Ride It And Enjoy It" Brown
    Code:
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    |  The word processor to end all word processors:  |      
    |     http://www.e-2.org/perhect/frame.html        |
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •