Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    如果你能讀了這個你講中文 genericbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This can't be right...

    So I just got a new Soma track frame (rush). While pirating movies off the internet and waiting for them to download, I Screwed an old 113 JIS BB into my frame, and put the hub (suzue promax NJS) into the track ends. I then slipped the crank onto the taper to check the chainline, and the spider almost touches the chainstay, but the crank is still slightly too far out to make a straight chainline. What gives? If I tighten the crank onto the spindle, the spider will rub the chainstay, and if I use a smaller BB to get a straight chainline, the spider will rub the chainstay even worse. If I use a bigger BB, the chainline will be off even worse.

    What gives? Shouldn't a track frame work with a track crank? I even emailed suginio, and they recommended a 113 bb with their crank.

    Even if ISO tapers are bigger (aren't they smaller than JIS?), I still have the chainline problem! Any insight is more than welcome. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genericbikedude
    So I just got a new Soma track frame (rush). While pirating movies off the internet and waiting for them to download, I Screwed an old 113 JIS BB into my frame, and put the hub (suzue promax NJS) into the track ends. I then slipped the crank onto the taper to check the chainline, and the spider almost touches the chainstay, but the crank is still slightly too far out to make a straight chainline. What gives? If I tighten the crank onto the spindle, the spider will rub the chainstay, and if I use a smaller BB to get a straight chainline, the spider will rub the chainstay even worse. If I use a bigger BB, the chainline will be off even worse.

    What gives? Shouldn't a track frame work with a track crank? I even emailed suginio, and they recommended a 113 bb with their crank.

    Even if ISO tapers are bigger (aren't they smaller than JIS?), I still have the chainline problem! Any insight is more than welcome. Thanks!
    What is the measured chainine? Should normally be about 42 mm.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

    You haven't said what kind of crank you have, but if the spider is in danger of hitting, I suspect it's a double type crank. True track cranks lack the shelf on the inside of the spider arms.

    Sheldon "Needs More Info" Brown
    Code:
    +--------------------------------------------------------+
    |  As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,   |
    |  they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, |
    |  they do not refer to reality.      --Albert Einstein  |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  3. #3
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got the same problem as I do with my Steamroller. I only have a 1mm clearance between the ends of my 170mm Campy Record track arms and the chainstays, and yet my trackring is still about 44mm out of center. 111mm Campy spindle is the shortest I can use with this setup.

    EDIT......never mind.....you're talking about the spider hitting the chainstay. I don't have that problem, I have a problem with the ends of my track crank arms hitting the chainstays when trying to achieve proper chainline.
    Last edited by roadfix; 09-16-05 at 10:11 PM.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What crank is it??

  5. #5
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    You've got the same problem as I do with my Steamroller. I only have a 1mm clearance between the ends of my 170mm Campy Record track arms and the chainstays, and yet my trackring is still about 44mm out of center. 111mm Campy spindle is the shortest I can use with this setup.

    EDIT......never mind.....you're talking about the spider hitting the chainstay. I don't have that problem, I have a problem with the ends of my track crank arms hitting the chainstays when trying to achieve proper chainline.
    That was a known issue with the first generation (brown) Steamrollers. They supposedly fixed it with the gray batch.

    Sheldon "Oops" Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------+
    |  Only those who attempt the absurd  |
    |  will achieve the impossible.       |
    |                  --Albert Einstein  |
    +-------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  6. #6
    如果你能讀了這個你講中文 genericbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi--Thanks for the interest--I don't have a metric ruler here, but I got this email from a Mr Kaz Yoshida at Sugino:

    >Mr. Drew hello.
    >
    >If it is 113mm that the BB length, the chain lin becomes about 43mm when the GS crank is used by the >track racing.
    >It is possible to use it also with the thing of which manufacturer in case of being interchangeable BB >SHIMANO it.
    >
    >Please examine it.
    >kaz Yoshida
    >SUGINO CYCLE INDUSTRIES,LTD.
    >DEVELOPMENT SEC
    >yoshida@suginoltd.co.jp

    The crank is a Suginio GS (looks like 65 too..), and YES, it does look like a double, but it has 144 mm bcd, and a very low Q factor. I just figured that it was a track crank where I could put the ring on the inside or the outside. And ANYWAY, the part that is about to hit the chainstays is the back of the chainring bolt, not the spider itself, or the lip where an inner chainring would be anchored. I have about 1.5mm clearance there, untightened.

    The hub is a rough 42 or 43 from the quick measurement before I bought it (promax NJS), and I'm assuming that I got the right quote from Suginio. Maybe this frame has intolerant chainstays?

  7. #7
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genericbikedude
    ANYWAY, the part that is about to hit the chainstays is the back of the chainring bolt, not the spider itself
    I once added a small ding on the chainstay on another frame to add more clearance there.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •