Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    ... abm1213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Possible to put caged bearings in Shimano Hubs?

    Shimano seems to like loose bearings in their hubs. Loose bearings are inherently less efficient than caged bearings because the bearings tend to crash into each other and that's why you hear that clicking noise. Has anybody tried replacing the loose balls with caged bearings with any success? Just wondering because that clicking makes me squirm when I think about the ground and plated races and cones and the fancy #25 balls grinding each other.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duno where you heard that,but the smart money seems to be on loose balls in HS and BB,so it should apply to hubs. Maybe you ought to offer your services as a design engineer to Shimano and Campy.
    Last edited by sydney; 09-16-05 at 09:20 PM.

  3. #3
    ... abm1213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campy is what you feel when you want to go camping.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abm1213
    Shimano seems to like loose bearings in their hubs. Loose bearings are inherently less efficient than caged bearings because the bearings tend to crash into each other and that's why you hear that clicking noise. Has anybody tried replacing the loose balls with caged bearings with any success? Just wondering because that clicking makes me squirm when I think about the ground and plated races and cones and the fancy #25 balls grinding each other.
    I hate that noise too, but not for the same reason...I just hate the noise.

    My understanding is that there is nothing that can be done. Ball seperator cages won't fit inside the hubs either.

    Try some heavier grease such as waterproof maring grease. It's thick enough to reduce the racket which was my reason for trying it.

    Good luck.

    Ed

  5. #5
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of touching each other at one small point like with loose bearings, what do you think the balls in a cage are rubbing up against? The contact area with a cage is much, much larger... more friction... Also with caged bearings, you have fewer bearings, so each one will have higher pressure at their contact point for the same load (compared to a higher number of loose bearings). This will result in increased wear.

    If you hear clicking in the bearings, maybe it's time to grease them... The blue boat-trailer bearing grease works really well to quiet any bearing noises.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abm1213
    Loose bearings are inherently less efficient than caged bearings because the bearings tend to crash into each other and that's why you hear that clicking noise.
    Clicking noise from hub bearings? I don't think so.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^....You just aren't smoking enough carpet.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    ^^^^....You just aren't smoking enough carpet.
    That ain't it. I just think that some guys have wasted too much time reading books and going to school that would have been better spent riding their bikes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Clicking noise from hub bearings? I don't think so.
    I agree - I don't think I've ever heard clicking noise from loose hub (or any) bearings.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^... had your ear down by the hub at 30mph? Disclaimer: this could result in serious injury or death.
    Last edited by sydney; 09-17-05 at 08:26 AM.

  11. #11
    fmw
    fmw is offline
    Hoosier Pedaler fmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough crowd. Pay attention to those who suggest bearing grease. You want to overhaul your hubs and, perhaps, replace the ball bearings prior to greasing.

  12. #12
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I was led to believe that caged bearings are inferior to loose ball in every respect. Apparently, they are only used because they make assembly, esp. robotic assembly easier. Some guys replace the cage for this reason with loose balls in new headsets etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  13. #13
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    That ain't it. I just think that some guys have wasted too much time reading books and going to school that would have been better spent riding their bikes.
    With all due respect, you are wrong my friend. The loose balls "fall over the top" when the axle is turned thus leading to the click noise. This noise is fairly faint but is clearly audible if you tune your hearing for it.

    I've spent quite a bit of time working on a particularly noisy Dura Ace 7700 rear hub. Fresh marine grease quiets that bad boy right down...for a while. I also have a brand new in the box 7700 rear hub that will make the same noise when turning the axle by hand.


    No hemp smoking going on here. Maybe you are the one...

  14. #14
    BIKE MECHANIC king koeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    My Bikes
    1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather have more bearings per race any day than big heavy bearing cages which are nothing but dead weight. (like a kick stand.) I've always used white lithium grease but i'll have to try that marine stuff they keep talking about. Bearing cages are like spoke guards, a waste.
    Just think how smooth the hubs will be with free bearings and great grease!! Best place for free bearings, in the bottom bracket.
    Keep on Biking!
    1976 Centurion Super Lemans 23"C-T Double butted chrome-moly Nervex style lugs Campy NR Wright Leather fiamme red label tubular rims Metallic silver, 1984-BCA 21.5"c-t Tange double butted lugged Shimano bio-pace Leather Brooks B-17 Champion Standard honey Black w Red head tube Lugged frame, 1986 FOCUS 22"c-t Tange double butted lugged Suntour XC Sport Sugino VP triple Dia-Compe Canti's Brooks B-17 Champion Standard, Trek Elance 400D 1986 Reynolds 531 Full Shimano SIS Black metallic silver

  15. #15
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    With all due respect, you are wrong my friend. The loose balls "fall over the top" when the axle is turned thus leading to the click noise. This noise is fairly faint but is clearly audible if you tune your hearing for it.

    I've spent quite a bit of time working on a particularly noisy Dura Ace 7700 rear hub. Fresh marine grease quiets that bad boy right down...for a while. I also have a brand new in the box 7700 rear hub that will make the same noise when turning the axle by hand.


    No hemp smoking going on here. Maybe you are the one...
    You sure you aren't short a bearing? I've heard of shimano front hub that seemed to be lacking one.

  16. #16
    "Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles." hypersnazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    My Bikes
    '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    You sure you aren't short a bearing? I've heard of shimano front hub that seemed to be lacking one.
    Nope, I've heard it on brand new wheels, popped 'em open and counted. There's sometimes a little space between the bearings, just enough to faintly hear the click when properly adjusted but not enough to come anywhere near fitting another ball in there. Drove me crazy the first time I went to adjust a brand new hub and I hear this clicking as it rotates, even though there's no play in the axle.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    With all due respect, you are wrong my friend. The loose balls "fall over the top" when the axle is turned thus leading to the click noise. This noise is fairly faint but is clearly audible if you tune your hearing for it.

    I've spent quite a bit of time working on a particularly noisy Dura Ace 7700 rear hub. Fresh marine grease quiets that bad boy right down...for a while. I also have a brand new in the box 7700 rear hub that will make the same noise when turning the axle by hand.


    No hemp smoking going on here. Maybe you are the one...
    Well, lets think about what's happening here. You've got some number of balls that are as close to the same size as modern manufacturing methods will allow separating a cup on the hub shell from a cone on the axle. For the balls to run into each other, some of them are going to have to be rolling faster than others. "Splain to me how that happens.

  18. #18
    "Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles." hypersnazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    My Bikes
    '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Well, lets think about what's happening here. You've got some number of balls that are as close to the same size as modern manufacturing methods will allow separating a cup on the hub shell from a cone on the axle. For the balls to run into each other, some of them are going to have to be rolling faster than others. "Splain to me how that happens.
    Because modern manufacturing is never as perfect as a pure mathematical idea, especially when shortcuts are taken for cost/benefit reasons. And also because perfectly machined bearings in perfectly machined races that fit perfectly together leave no room for grease, another necessary ingredient for perfectly smooth rolling hubs. There's ALWAYS at least the tiniest bit of space.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,593
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dura Ace front hubs use 11 3/16" bearing balls, not the 10 used in most other front hubs. If you are hearing clicking, maybe you put in 10.

    Caged bearings have NO advantage over loose balls except for ease of assembly.

    I've rebuilt dozens of loose bearing hubs from the cheap Sun Tour and Maillard up to Dura Ace. None of them have ever clicked when spun.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's putting in like 7 balls per side.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •