Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1995 ParkPre Pro Image steer tube is cracked from south to north..about 3". the crack is not to the top of the tube yet. im devastated. i dont want another bike. can this be welded? it is an easton aluminum frame.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but no.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost impossible to maintain a tube's dimensions and structural integrity with a longitudinal crack like that....
    Does this frame come with any sort of warranty? Most manufacturers will stand behind the frame for some period, at least.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdh344
    My 1995 ParkPre Pro Image steer tube is cracked from south to north..about 3". the crack is not to the top of the tube yet. im devastated. i dont want another bike. can this be welded? it is an easton aluminum frame.

    Cracked steerer tube is nothing to mess with. Junk the fork and find a new one. The frame should be fine.

    Ed

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikewer
    Almost impossible to maintain a tube's dimensions and structural integrity with a longitudinal crack like that....
    Does this frame come with any sort of warranty? Most manufacturers will stand behind the frame for some period, at least.
    I'm guessing that since ParkPre clsoed shop years ago, you're not going to have much luck with a warranty. Their frames were nothing that special to begin with, with the exception of a few full suspension designs that never made it to production, and some of their titanium stuff.

    At 10 years old, let it die a graceful death and move on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate
    I'm guessing that since ParkPre clsoed shop years ago, you're not going to have much luck with a warranty. Their frames were nothing that special to begin with, with the exception of a few full suspension designs that never made it to production, and some of their titanium stuff.

    At 10 years old, let it die a graceful death and move on.
    Scrap the whole bike because of a fork?

  7. #7
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^....maybe it makes sense for muppets?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's referring to a frame tube, not the steerer on his fork.

    i dont want another bike. can this be welded? it is an easton aluminum frame.

    Disregarding his comment about a steer tube, do you take this to mean his fork? Because I've never heard of a cracked steerer tube on a fork, and if it was cracked, how would you know? Perhaps we will clarify that it is the frame that's cracked. He wouldn't need a new bike if it's only the fork.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT area
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.
    Posts
    1,277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am understanding this situation as a crack in the head tube of the frame, rather than the fork. If this is so, do not re weld, you are unfortunately have to junk the frame. You would obviously have to pull out the fork from the frame and headset to observe a crack in the fork steerer tube. If so, replace the fork. Sounds like the ParkPre is history.

  10. #10
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove any steel and take it to the scrap/recycle place. $0.45/lb. Sell or keep the old components and build/buy a new bike.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, it is the steerer tube on the frame thats cracked-not the actual fork. since its the frame-DEFINTELY trash it? if thats the case, im thinking of getting a full suspension. right now im riding (well, WAS riding) a thudbuster on my ParkPre so i can make the ride easier on my back (old paramedic work injuries). i have just test ridden specialized Epic S-Works (all XTR) , GT-NRS (i think it was), Gary Fisher cake series w/29" wheels. does anyone have any suggestions on full suspensions bikes? i will not buy something i cant ride first. my LBS are limited in what they stock so it is pretty much what i listed above with some variations in the components. i have looked at reviews on MTBR.com and the classifieds there as well, but not sure about scams on there. i would love to hear what you guys think. if this is the wrong forum for this, sorry. btw, im a chick, not a guy. thanks again!

  12. #12
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^...That's called the headtube.The steerer is part of the fork that goes thru the headtube.
    Last edited by sydney; 09-18-05 at 10:24 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    24,782
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    ^^^....maybe it makes sense for muppets?
    Does your understanding that the crack's location is in the headtube, not the fork steerer, change your recommendation?

  14. #14
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^....No recommendation was made. However the poster said steerer. Not that cracked or split steerers are that common,but who knows?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so... any body..??

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your frame can now be of use as wall art.

    Seriously, buy an new bike, strip the old frame, and hang it up!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    ^^^....No recommendation was made. However the poster said steerer. Not that cracked or split steerers are that common,but who knows?
    So you're just banging away on your keyboard, without reading and thinking? That's a surprise.



    Back to the missus that's shopping for a new bike. You could let your shop talk you into full XTR, but unless you've got money to burn, you might as well go for the XT group. Personally, I like SRAM better. Any of the bikes you mentioned are quite nice, but do they suit your needs? The NRS and a 29er are two very different bikes. What kind of riding are you planning on doing? Also, understand that whatever you get will be 1000 times better than your cracked ParkPre. Feel free to PM or email me if you get tired of the idiots on here.

  18. #18
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate
    So you're just banging away on your keyboard, without reading and thinking? That's a surprise.



    Back to the missus that's shopping for a new bike. You could let your shop talk you into full XTR, but unless you've got money to burn, you might as well go for the XT group. Personally, I like SRAM better. Any of the bikes you mentioned are quite nice, but do they suit your needs? The NRS and a 29er are two very different bikes. What kind of riding are you planning on doing? Also, understand that whatever you get will be 1000 times better than your cracked ParkPre. Feel free to PM or email me if you get tired of the idiots on here.
    Very dangerous....no muppet filter.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sydney, Mr. Cheney, Mr. Nixon.

    What's the common denominator?

  20. #20
    JRA...
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    philly
    My Bikes
    trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the letter "n"?

  21. #21
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •