Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    stare master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    east bay
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    35mm headset wrench?

    Any idea where I can get one of these? Or what I can use in its place? Park discontinued its 35mm/36mm headset wrench, I haven't been able to find anything else.

  2. #2
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, your best bet would be to just use an adjustable open-ended wrench. Unless you need a cone-width 32mm, in which case you'll still need to find a more traditional headset wrench, on which point I can't help you. Good luck.

  3. #3
    ride, paint, ride simplify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R300 Caad2
    Posts
    1,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkmuffin
    Any idea where I can get one of these? Or what I can use in its place? Park discontinued its 35mm/36mm headset wrench, I haven't been able to find anything else.
    Performance sells one, I have it and it's a nice one.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...&slitrk=search

    edit--sorry, I thought a 36 would work if you only needed it for a 35 mm adjustable cup on a headset, since it doesn't ever have to generate much torque on the flats of the adjustable cup race. It just needs to be flat enough to fit under the locknut when a wrench is on it. But I guess 36 mm headset wrenches are pretty easy to find, sorry about that.
    Last edited by simplify; 11-29-05 at 02:33 PM.
    No car. No TV. Three bikes.

  4. #4
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawkd
    Performance sells one, I have it and it's a nice one.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...&slitrk=search
    I could not find a 35mm at that URL ;-( There were old BB fixed cups that had 35.1 flats and Park used
    to make a (oval with 35.1mm flats) wrench for that but I have not been able to find one anywhere.
    I guess the moral to the story is that when you seen some of these "standards" fading away, it just may be worth it to pick up the specialty tools that are associated.

    I agree that an adjustable will work just fine. If you have some fancyshmancy headset that you're worried about marring, just put on a layer of electrical tape and then tighten the adjustable as tight as you can. It will be better than a 35mm open end. Use the biggest adjustable wrench you can get your hands on - even better. Good luck.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  5. #5
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkmuffin
    Any idea where I can get one of these? Or what I can use in its place? Park discontinued its 35mm/36mm headset wrench, I haven't been able to find anything else.
    Just curious ... What headset uses 35mm?

    You can find 40 different headset wrenches here:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...et&tc=Wrenches

    Unfortunately, none of them are 35mm ;-( If you can't find the tool you're looking for at this site, it's likely going to be very difficult to find it anywhere.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  6. #6
    stare master
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    east bay
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade168
    Just curious ... What headset uses 35mm?

    You can find 40 different headset wrenches here:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...et&tc=Wrenches

    Unfortunately, none of them are 35mm ;-( If you can't find the tool you're looking for at this site, it's likely going to be very difficult to find it anywhere.

    cascade: Thanks for the link - what about this one?:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...s&item_id=ZG-9

    I've never heard of zog's, but that might be my ticket.

    I don't think an adjustable would work, not enough room to get in there. The headset came with a 1991 parkpre hammer mtn bike. Not sure what make it is.

    Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkmuffin
    cascade: Thanks for the link - what about this one?:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...s&item_id=ZG-9

    I've never heard of zog's, but that might be my ticket.

    I don't think an adjustable would work, not enough room to get in there. The headset came with a 1991 parkpre hammer mtn bike. Not sure what make it is.

    Thanks again!
    Holy cow! Time for another cup 'o joe, I guess ;-) Good catch. FWIW, Park has made tools that have come out in different versions - some laser cut and some not. The laser cut tools seem to be of a definitely higher quality and better fit. For $12.95, I'd go for it.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  8. #8
    Electrical Hazard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Manhattan / Vancouver
    My Bikes
    a bunch.
    Posts
    974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could grind out a 34mm =D

    ( I had to do this to make a 19mm cone wrench)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •