Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-06, 12:37 PM   #1
Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle
Thread Starter
 
Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Norwood, MA
Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bar end shifters or reverse brake levers onTT bar?

I'm attempting my first bike build and want to use something like a Time Trial bar, although I suspect to get it narrow enough for me I will have to amputate a drop bar & mount it upside down. My first thought was to use bar end shifters and then mount road brake levers only on the bar just before it turns up. Then I saw these reverse brake levers http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=391522311802. If I used them I would probably have to go with some of the "flat bar road bike" shifters. Or should I just get a set of brifters and keep it all out in easy reach? Please state your preferences and why. Thank you.
__________________
Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about
Jean Beetham Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 01:24 PM   #2
Deanster04
Senior Member
 
Deanster04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen a setup where the person used a TT bar with the TT reversed brakes and a set of the pads and the extended aero bars with the bar end shifters placed on those. I ride mountain and road and recently I took a road bike and setup the bars with straight mtb bars, flat bar shifters, cane creek barends, and a couple of interior short bar ends setting the bar end shifters on those stubbies. You could do the same by getting some barends and cut them down and add them just inside the outside bars and have both as a solution.
It is working out very well. I always found my mtb HB setup very comfortable and wanted to experiment with something on the road bike for a tourning setup. So far so good.
Deanster04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 06:33 PM   #3
dzinehaus
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster04
I have seen a setup where the person used a TT bar with the TT reversed brakes and a set of the pads and the extended aero bars with the bar end shifters placed on those. I ride mountain and road and recently I took a road bike and setup the bars with straight mtb bars, flat bar shifters, cane creek barends, and a couple of interior short bar ends setting the bar end shifters on those stubbies. You could do the same by getting some barends and cut them down and add them just inside the outside bars and have both as a solution.
It is working out very well. I always found my mtb HB setup very comfortable and wanted to experiment with something on the road bike for a tourning setup. So far so good.

i'd love to see a picture of that setup
dzinehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 07:36 PM   #4
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
I'm attempting my first bike build and want to use something like a Time Trial bar, although I suspect to get it narrow enough for me I will have to amputate a drop bar & mount it upside down. My first thought was to use bar end shifters and then mount road brake levers only on the bar just before it turns up. Then I saw these reverse brake levers http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=391522311802. If I used them I would probably have to go with some of the "flat bar road bike" shifters. Or should I just get a set of brifters and keep it all out in easy reach? Please state your preferences and why. Thank you.
Ok, not getting into the question of why:

There are bullhorns that you use with those levers. You can get them at least as narrow as 39cm. Flipping and chopping drops = ghetto. People usually use bar ends at the end of ACTUAL time trial bars, not the bullhorns.

If you mount bar ends at the end of your bullhorns, which is going to be incredibly stupid looking - your brakes will have to be inline levers. Of course the other option is to just ghetto it again and put brifters on both sides. Which has been done in pro TT races. Also looks stupid as heck and a waste of $.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 06:05 AM   #5
dzinehaus
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Ok, not getting into the question of why:

There are bullhorns that you use with those levers. You can get them at least as narrow as 39cm. Flipping and chopping drops = ghetto. People usually use bar ends at the end of ACTUAL time trial bars, not the bullhorns.

If you mount bar ends at the end of your bullhorns, which is going to be incredibly stupid looking - your brakes will have to be inline levers. Of course the other option is to just ghetto it again and put brifters on both sides. Which has been done in pro TT races. Also looks stupid as heck and a waste of $.

functionality over aesthetics any day. if it works and is effective who the hell cares what it looks like. you aren't trying to impress your friends with it are you? if so then rethink what you are doing
dzinehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 06:21 AM   #6
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could put bar end shifters on the horns and then mount some aero brake levers on the bars with the lever facing forward. You'd have all of your controls within easy reach and it would be a fairly clean looking install.
polara426sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 06:54 PM   #7
ginsoakedboy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering doing the same, and don't think it would look stupid or put form over function. It will just be like having bullhorn bars with the shifters & brake levers right there where my hands will be at the end of the horns. The problem I'm running into is that most of the reasonably priced reverse brake levers mount via plugs that go into the end of the bar -- thereby occupying the same space where the bar-end shifters need to go. I've found one solution so far. A little company in Minnesota called Jtek makes two products. One is a brake lever that mounts to the pivot of the barcon -- called AeroBrake, and the other is a reverse brake lever that clamps externally around the handlebar. This second product might be similar to an inline lever -- never had them side-by-side to compare. Both are, unfortunately, pretty pricey options. But check them out at jtekengineering.com/products.htm. Not a stupid idea at all -- I think actually a pretty good solution to put levers and shifters right there at the ends. I've got a 47cm wide stoker bar that I'm going to set up this way.
ginsoakedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 08:43 PM   #8
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzinehaus
functionality over aesthetics any day. if it works and is effective who the hell cares what it looks like. you aren't trying to impress your friends with it are you? if so then rethink what you are doing
Yes, but you missed the point. In addition to looking idiotic it's also not effective.

Setup #1: Barends on bullhorns + aero levers this would work, minor disadvantage of a snag point
Setup #2: STI shifters on bullhorns - akward to shift, but controls are all there
Setup #3: TT levers on bullhorns + gripshifters - this could work. But how would you get the gripshifters around the curve of the bullhorns?
Setup #4: TT levers with JTek aeroBrake. Expensive as hell. Efficacy of the aeroBrake questionable.

Sounds like a whole lot of trouble just to avoid using drops... why?
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:32 PM   #9
ginsoakedboy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Yes, but you missed the point. In addition to looking idiotic it's also not effective.

Sounds like a whole lot of trouble just to avoid using drops... why?
How about because that's the set up he wants. And me too for that matter. I think it's a great idea and I was surprised there weren't more products available to make it work. For TT, I guess most riders put the reverse brake levers on the horns, and mount the barcons on the aero extensions. But it seems like a great idea to have both in the same location to shift and be able to brake from one hand position. Who made you the supreme arbiter of what looks right, and how people should want to set up their bikes? BTW, Operator, speaking of idiotic, you wouldn't use the Jtek Aerobrake with a TT lever -- both are brake levers. I'm guessing, just based on the tone of your posts, that there are a thousand things you do every day that I would think were idiotic -- but I also don't figure I've been appointed to make those judgments.
ginsoakedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 10:43 PM   #10
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker
 
Hardheadmandca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus - 2000?
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of doing something similar, and just started a similar thread. So far I have what's pictured below, but want to add bar end shifters instead of my Kelly Takeoffs.

__________________
Brian

Cervelo Dual/Calfee Tetra Pro/Kestrel 200sc/Specialized Sirrus/Diamondback Ascent/Centurion Fixie
Hardheadmandca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 06:29 AM   #11
dzinehaus
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheadmandca
I'm thinking of doing something similar, and just started a similar thread. So far I have what's pictured below, but want to add bar end shifters instead of my Kelly Takeoffs.


I wanna see bigger pics of that setup that looks sweet and effective... is it?
dzinehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 11:22 AM   #12
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker
 
Hardheadmandca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus - 2000?
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzinehaus
I wanna see bigger pics of that setup that looks sweet and effective... is it?
I'll take some today and post them tonight. It works very well. However, I think Bar end shifters set up so I can move them left and right would work better.

Right now, I have to come off the bar a bit to shift front and back. I also set it up as friction, and should probably flip it to index - less struggle to get in gear, but less control as well.
__________________
Brian

Cervelo Dual/Calfee Tetra Pro/Kestrel 200sc/Specialized Sirrus/Diamondback Ascent/Centurion Fixie
Hardheadmandca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 12:08 PM   #13
ginsoakedboy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So maybe to refine the question a bit, does anyone know of a reverse brake lever (other than the Jtek products mentioned above) that clamps around the outside of the bar so that the bar ends are left open to receive the shifters?
ginsoakedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 10:41 PM   #14
Hardheadmandca
Brian L. Baker
 
Hardheadmandca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus - 2000?
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are the close ups.

To the OP, I used older Shimano 600 brake levers on this.



Questions?
__________________
Brian

Cervelo Dual/Calfee Tetra Pro/Kestrel 200sc/Specialized Sirrus/Diamondback Ascent/Centurion Fixie
Hardheadmandca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 11:20 PM   #15
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
How about because that's the set up he wants. And me too for that matter. I think it's a great idea and I was surprised there weren't more products available to make it work. For TT, I guess most riders put the reverse brake levers on the horns, and mount the barcons on the aero extensions. But it seems like a great idea to have both in the same location to shift and be able to brake from one hand position. Who made you the supreme arbiter of what looks right, and how people should want to set up their bikes? BTW, Operator, speaking of idiotic, you wouldn't use the Jtek Aerobrake with a TT lever -- both are brake levers. I'm guessing, just based on the tone of your posts, that there are a thousand things you do every day that I would think were idiotic -- but I also don't figure I've been appointed to make those judgments.
Sorry I ****ed up.

I don't have a problem with anyone using the setup. Re: aerobrake with TT Lever, I actually meant aerobrake with barends. The JTek aerobrake that attaches to the barend looks like a really nifty solution.

Hell do setup #1. I'd love to see it. I ride a fixed gear so I have no reason to need shifters anywhere near my base bars.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:16 PM   #16
dzinehaus
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheadmandca
Here are the close ups.

To the OP, I used older Shimano 600 brake levers on this.



Questions?
what are those attachments for the downtube shifters? where can I find some?

PS really love the setup!
dzinehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:44 PM   #17
dobber
Perineal Pressurized
 
dobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In Ebritated
Bikes:
Posts: 6,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzinehaus
what are those attachments for the downtube shifters? where can I find some?

PS really love the setup!
They're called Kelly Take-Offs - http://www.kellybike.com
__________________
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 02:55 PM   #18
dzinehaus
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do trigger shifters exist for aero bars / bull horns? i'm not referring to sti levers / brifters but something more along the lines of mtb trigger shifters... something along those lines...

thanks for the take-off link
dzinehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.