Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Backpeddling/Possible Problem

    I have a 12 speed road bike with a Shimano rear derailleur.
    I've noticed lately that while backpeddling to prepare to take off from a stop sign,that the chain seems to get sloppy and sometimes hangs or gets misaligned with the cogs.I'm thinking the deraillur needs to be cleaned up and relubed.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Glenn

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GlennD
    I have a 12 speed road bike with a Shimano rear derailleur.
    I've noticed lately that while backpeddling to prepare to take off from a stop sign,that the chain seems to get sloppy and sometimes hangs or gets misaligned with the cogs.I'm thinking the deraillur needs to be cleaned up and relubed.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Glenn
    A clean systems helps including CHAIN. What gear combinaions you are in makes a difference tto.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bet that your freewheel is crudded up. Clean it or replace it.
    Je vais à vélo, donc je suis!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by D*Alex
    I'd bet that your freewheel is crudded up. Clean it or replace it.
    Maybe it's a cassette?

  5. #5
    Canadian eh?
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2, 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Posts
    1,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pokey
    Maybe it's a cassette?
    Dirty sprockets are dirty sprockets.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WorldIRC


    Dirty sprockets are dirty sprockets.
    A CLEAN SYSTEM includes cogs. Anyone for some castor oil in their system?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replys.I removed the rear wheel,disassenbled the deraillur cogs,cleaned them and the chain with some 409,reassembled and now things seam back to normal.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GlennD
    Thanks for your replys.I removed the rear wheel,disassenbled the deraillur cogs,cleaned them and the chain with some 409,reassembled and now things seam back to normal.
    Hope you relubed the chain.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I wanted to remove the chain,soak it in some solvent and
    relube with one of the popular lubes like White Lighting.
    I don't own a chain tool and may try to order a power link.
    Can the power links be installed without a chain tool?
    Will I damage the chain by forcing off a link to install the power link?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GlennD
    Actually I wanted to remove the chain,soak it in some solvent and
    relube with one of the popular lubes like White Lighting.
    I don't own a chain tool and may try to order a power link.
    Can the power links be installed without a chain tool?
    Will I damage the chain by forcing off a link to install the power link?
    Chains can be well cleaned without removing. Chains are made to be broken with a proper chain tool, and have to be in order to install the link.Make sure the link is the right width for your chain.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's a cassette?
    On a 12-speed road bike, it's 95% likely that it's a freewheel.

    Dirty sprockets are dirty sprockets
    True, but it's the pawl mechanism inside that needs cleaning, not the sprockets.

    Thanks for your replys.I removed the rear wheel,disassenbled the deraillur cogs,cleaned them and the chain with some 409,reassembled and now things seam back to normal.
    I was referring to the cogs on the freewheel, not the jockey wheels on the derailleur. 409 is a terrible thing to use on moving parts. I hope you thoroughly rinsed the thing out with hot water and lubricated the jockey wheels with chain lube. If not, you'll ruin them very quickly. Same goes for the chain.


    Can the power links be installed without a chain tool?
    No.

    Will I damage the chain by forcing off a link to install the power link?
    Force it off with what? Anything you force can get ruined. If you don't know what you are doing, go buy a book on bike repair and a chain tool. Even a chimpanzee can figure a job like that out.


    Chains can be well cleaned without removing
    No, they can't. You can buy a chain cleaning gizmo, but all it's going to do is clean up the surface of the chain, and spill greasy solvent all over the place. The only proper way to clean a chain is by removing it, putting it in a bottle with solvent, and agitating. Then rinse 3-4 times, dry, and relube. BTW, use only citrus solvents on chains that will be lubricated by wax lubes.
    Je vais à vélo, donc je suis!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by D*Alex


    On a 12-speed road bike, it's 95% likely that it's a freewheel.



    Sure,but it's the other 5% that alwayas bites you.

  13. #13
    Canadian eh?
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2, 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Posts
    1,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 12sp cassette

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the best at mechanics, but if backpeddling causes the chain to hang, or to clatter, it may be that the jockey pulley ( the top one in the rear derailleur) is not directly under the freewheel cog that the chain is resting on. IF you look from the rear, and the derailleur arm is not lining up with the cog above, but seems to be pulled one way, I think you need to adjust one of the adjustment screws. The cage that holds the pulleys should be perpendicular to the freewheel. Sometimes the arm or cage gets bent as well. I may be wrong though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •