Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-06, 07:22 PM   #1
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the front hub on my mongoose wheel, it is missing a couple BB's, now i have BB's that are a tiny bit smaller then the ones in there, what will happen if i put them in there. Do i just make sure it spins freely and has no free play? or this is a bad idea



P.S. the BB's are metal
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 07:40 PM   #2
Shorty
Riding is Praying
 
Shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Fisher Tassajara, Indy Fab Crown Jewel; Titan NOS fixed
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give it a shot I suppose, but I doubt you will be able to get all of the play out of the hub. Even it it does work I would still get the right size as soon as you can. Good luck.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 07:42 PM   #3
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
Give it a shot I suppose, but I doubt you will be able to get all of the play out of the hub. Even it it does work I would still get the right size as soon as you can. Good luck.
well i put them in, they seem to work for now, i have no free play for some reason and they spin free, but i will try to get some correct size ones
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 09:14 PM   #4
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Use the correct size bearings. Front hubs almost all use either 10 or 11 in each side 3/16" diameter balls and these are easily available at bike shops or auto parts stores. Using a couple of undersize balls will put an excess load on the remaining correct ones and damage the hub rather quickly.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 09:57 PM   #5
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider
Use the correct size bearings. Front hubs almost all use either 10 or 11 in each side 3/16" diameter balls and these are easily available at bike shops or auto parts stores. Using a couple of undersize balls will put an excess load on the remaining correct ones and damage the hub rather quickly.
i replaced all of them with the same size, which is a bit smaller
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 10:10 PM   #6
AnthonyG
Senior Member
 
AnthonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queanbeyan, Australia.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankdi
i replaced all of them with the same size, which is a bit smaller
How did you manage that?

The bearing surfaces are machined/sized for certain sized ball bearings and using the wrong sized ones will place loads on the bearing surfaces they weren't mean't to take and I'm supprised you could adjust the cones properly. Replace with the correct size as soon as you can.

Regards, Anthony
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 10:31 PM   #7
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
How did you manage that?

The bearing surfaces are machined/sized for certain sized ball bearings and using the wrong sized ones will place loads on the bearing surfaces they weren't mean't to take and I'm supprised you could adjust the cones properly. Replace with the correct size as soon as you can.

Regards, Anthony
well they are only a tad bit smaller, it isnt very noticeable, but they fit,lol, i havent rode yet im still stripping the house paint from the previous owner
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 08:38 AM   #8
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
The correct size bearings are cheap and readily available. Use them. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the hub. A "tad bit smaller" is not good enough.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 10:46 AM   #9
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,734
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider
The correct size bearings are cheap and readily available. Use them. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the hub. A "tad bit smaller" is not good enough.
A "tad bit smaller" means that the cones are going to fit a "tad bit" closer to the centerline and the wheel is going to fit differently in the fork. I honestly don't know if you are likely to have problems down the line or not because, as cheap and easily available as bearings are, it's not the kind of thing that I like to experiment with.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 10:57 AM   #10
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i found the other 4 BB's that i needed. they were in teh hub, and the hub was dirty so i didnt see them, i greased everything up and everything is good now. thanks for the help guys
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.