Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-06, 02:46 PM   #1
filly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First-time bar end shifter user...question.

I'm building up a TT bike, and I started installing the D/A 10 spd bar end shifters yesterday. The instruction sheet says that to use index mode for the rear, line up the SIS arrow with the red arrow on the dial thingamajob. Did that, and I get the clicks...great. Then it says, if you want to use friction mode, line up the friction arrow with the arrow on the dial. Uhhh, there is no friction arrow. Just the word "friction" and what seems to be a range of degree of friction. I lined up the dial arrow with points all along this "range", and the friction seems to be the same. So, where exactly do I turn the dial for friction mode? I want to make sure I've got it in the right place. I guess the possibility is there that if in the wrong spot, while still performing, you could be prematurely wearing some of the internals out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0024.JPG (56.9 KB, 28 views)
filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 02:48 PM   #2
filly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, and is the left shifter supposed to feel ratchety, or "indexed" as well? Mine does.
filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 03:05 PM   #3
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly
So, where exactly do I turn the dial for friction mode?
Just turn it to where it stops.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 08:44 PM   #4
filly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Just turn it to where it stops.
I can turn it about 270 degrees before it stops...that can't be right.
filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 09:33 PM   #5
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly
I can turn it about 270 degrees before it stops...that can't be right.
Yes, the two positions (SIS, friction) are quite a ways apart. You will feel a click when you get it to the right place, both for SIS and friction. On the left shifter, it shouldn't feel "ratchety," just smooth, constant resistance as you move the shifter. There is a little click sensation when you hit the bottom position with the shifter, however.
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 10:25 PM   #6
filly
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
On the left shifter, it shouldn't feel "ratchety," just smooth, constant resistance as you move the shifter. There is a little click sensation when you hit the bottom position with the shifter, however.
Any suggestions? They're brand new.
filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 11:29 PM   #7
TallRider
me have long head tube
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The left lever should feel rachety. Just not nearly as rachety as indexed clicking on the right lever. I've got Shimano bar-end shifters on my good road bike. The rachety feel on the right lever is not indexing, but just closely-spaced stopping points to give the Shimano lever workable friction without its feeling really tight.
TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 03:51 AM   #8
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcupery
The left lever should feel rachety. Just not nearly as rachety as indexed clicking on the right lever. I've got Shimano bar-end shifters on my good road bike. The rachety feel on the right lever is not indexing, but just closely-spaced stopping points to give the Shimano lever workable friction without its feeling really tight.
That is the same thing old SunTour barcons had. They were some kind of micro serrations. It was better than smooth nylon washers which you just torqued down to adjust friction. Good luck you are doing fine.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:15 AM   #9
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1
That is the same thing old SunTour barcons had. They were some kind of micro serrations. It was better than smooth nylon washers which you just torqued down to adjust friction. Good luck you are doing fine.Tim
Sun Tour actually had a fine-tooth ratchet in many of their shifters to balance out the force needed to move the lever in both directions. They were called "Power Shifters" and were the best friction shifters ever made.

The nylon friction washers were difficult to adjust and tended to loosen with time causing "ghost shifting" after a while. I had a set of Campy record DT shifters on my bike for a while and gave up on them because they wouldn't hold their adjustment.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:34 AM   #10
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcupery
The left lever should feel rachety. Just not nearly as rachety as indexed clicking on the right lever. I've got Shimano bar-end shifters on my good road bike. The rachety feel on the right lever is not indexing, but just closely-spaced stopping points to give the Shimano lever workable friction without its feeling really tight.
You're right, there's a feeling of the slight serrations as you move the friction shifter. When I said "smooth resistance" in my earlier thread, I wasn't thinking it through thoroughly.
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:39 AM   #11
onbike 1939
Senior Member
 
onbike 1939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fife Scotland
Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider
Sun Tour actually had a fine-tooth ratchet in many of their shifters to balance out the force needed to move the lever in both directions. They were called "Power Shifters" and were the best friction shifters ever made.

The nylon friction washers were difficult to adjust and tended to loosen with time causing "ghost shifting" after a while. I had a set of Campy record DT shifters on my bike for a while and gave up on them because they wouldn't hold their adjustment.
Same here and it was really annoying having to constantly tighten them. Much preferred the Suntour Power shifters.
onbike 1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 10:33 AM   #12
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
.......in other words, your left lever should feel griddy, not ratchety...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 PM.