Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-06, 09:06 PM   #1
Alexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pollishing off anodization on a rim?

Is this really bad idea? Will it weaken the rim?
Alexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 09:07 PM   #2
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
use oven cleaner or any mild alkali solution to get anodizing off
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 09:53 PM   #3
Alexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
way to read my post...
Alexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 10:07 PM   #4
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,121
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
What's the benefit? If it's appearance anodizing is very thin so removing it won't remove any significant structural material. If it's the thicker "hard anodizing" you will have to go deeper to remove it. In either event you will have to be careful not to go further than the anodizing and I'm not sure you can insure that. Again what's the benefit?
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 10:43 PM   #5
Alexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well they are NOS rims that have some scratches on them, just want to make them look uniform, oh and I like shinny things
Alexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 10:59 PM   #6
Roll'n Thunder
L2TR - W2TC
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It won't weaken the rim.
Some may argue that it would make a more reliable rim because the polishing will smooth out any scratches, and eliminate those stress risers.

Polish away.
Roll'n Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 11:48 PM   #7
JDP526
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As mcoine suggested, you can use 'easy-off' oven cleaner to remove anodizing, but don't leave it on too long. If you have a bench grinder you can put a spindle on it with a hard cotton buffing wheel and use some 'mother's alum wheel cleaner' to polish out alum much faster than doing it by hand.
JDP526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 07:06 AM   #8
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just so people know what's going on here:

Cosmetic anodizing is much thinner, has no structural benefit or downside, and is just put on the rim for the sake of pretty colors. As noted above, relatively easy to remove.

Hard-anodizing the surface of a rim is a holdover from when people thought it would make the rim stronger. It does make the surface of the rim harder. But rims never really fail from their surface being too hard. Hard anodizing decreases braking performance, but is mainly a problem because cracks in the anodizing can act as stress risers and propogate into the aluminum itself, making hard anodized rims more likely to fail by cracking at the eyelet.

Hard-anodizing does wear off over time from friction with the brake pads (especially from riding in the rain), and braking performance improves. Below is a picture of my Mavic MA40 front rim, with hard-anodized coating obviously worn down where the brake pad contacts the rim.

TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 07:20 AM   #9
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,121
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Uh, Tim, looking at the picture, I see why your rims are worn. You forgot to install the brake pads!

BTW, good description of the two types of anodizing and their "benefits".
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 09:28 AM   #10
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
use oven cleaner or any mild alkali solution to get anodizing off
What exactly to you need to do? I have some old parts that need the anodizing removed to even out the finish. Thanks
Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 09:37 AM   #11
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1
What exactly to you need to do? I have some old parts that need the anodizing removed to even out the finish. Thanks
Tim
Use rubber gloves, eye protection. Spray the part with the oven cleaner. I like to use a tooth brush to brush it around and get the whole part clean. Depending on the part, whether its forged, cast, cnc'd, its finish will need a fair amount of polishing when you are done.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 09:48 AM   #12
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
Use rubber gloves, eye protection. Spray the part with the oven cleaner. I like to use a tooth brush to brush it around and get the whole part clean. Depending on the part, whether its forged, cast, cnc'd, its finish will need a fair amount of polishing when you are done.
Thanks, I have some brake levers that need cleaning and an old crank that could use some help.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 09:50 AM   #13
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1
Thanks, I have some brake levers that need cleaning and an old crank that could use some help.

Tim

Oh, yeah, obviously wash the part very well with water when you are done. You don't want any oven cleaner staying on aluminum for long.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 10:41 AM   #14
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcupery
Just so people know what's going on here:

Cosmetic anodizing is much thinner, has no structural benefit or downside, and is just put on the rim for the sake of pretty colors. As noted above, relatively easy to remove.

Hard-anodizing the surface of a rim is a holdover from when people thought it would make the rim stronger. It does make the surface of the rim harder. But rims never really fail from their surface being too hard. Hard anodizing decreases braking performance, but is mainly a problem because cracks in the anodizing can act as stress risers and propogate into the aluminum itself, making hard anodized rims more likely to fail by cracking at the eyelet.

Hard-anodizing does wear off over time from friction with the brake pads (especially from riding in the rain), and braking performance improves. Below is a picture of my Mavic MA40 front rim, with hard-anodized coating obviously worn down where the brake pad contacts the rim.

WEll said. Hard anodizing has no use on a bicycle. Its good for tools where there is a load of friction and a need to resist wear.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 11:08 AM   #15
Avalanche325
Senior Member
 
Avalanche325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pasadena, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=HillRider]Uh, Tim, looking at the picture, I see why your rims are worn. You forgot to install the brake pads! [QUOTE]

Nah. Those are the newfangled metallic pads!
Avalanche325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 11:35 AM   #16
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Avalanche325][QUOTE=HillRider]Uh, Tim, looking at the picture, I see why your rims are worn. You forgot to install the brake pads!
Quote:

Nah. Those are the newfangled metallic pads!
Look again, he is running the new Shimano Invisa pads and cable set.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 11:51 AM   #17
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Those are the newfangled metallic pads!
Quote:
Look again, he is running the new Shimano Invisa pads and cable set.
These two amazing technologies have advanced braking so much that there's no longer any purpose to having dual-pivot brakes; they just give power that's not needed. So, Shimano is going back to single-pivot because it's lighter
TallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 03:41 PM   #18
simplify
ride, paint, ride
 
simplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr
Look again, he is running the new Shimano Invisa pads and cable set.
ROTFLMAO
simplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 04:49 PM   #19
Alexi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so I can remove hard anodizing with no ill effect?
Alexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.