Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-06, 07:46 PM   #1
aballas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
aballas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Morgantown, WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mountain bike question

Okay...I found a late-90's (1999?) Specialized Hardrock without a fork at my bike co-op....and I have a threadless fork to put on the bike, but the headset that is on it is threaded...

Does anyone know what size threadless headset I need to get for the bike in order to install the new fork?....

The bike is still at the co-op workshop right now...otherwise I could just check myself. I'd like to go ahead and buy one before I go back there on saturday to finish it up.....

can anyone help me out with this???
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:59 PM   #2
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are 2 sizes, 1 inch and 1 1/8.
I would say most threaded forks would be 1 inch, threadless 1 1/8.
Which may just add to the confusion.....
Late 90's I'd say probably 1 1/8, unless a low end bike.
I know little about Specialized.
Take some calipers with you and measure?
Can you call the shop and get the serial #?, then you could date the bike and look at website specs.
All I can think of....

I can't say there isn't a threaded 1 1/8, but it would seem unusual.
My guess, the bikes older, and has a 1 inch headset.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 09:59 PM   #3
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If the bike is a '99, it will need a 1 1/8" headset. I agree with Jeff Williams, the more common size for threaded forks/headsets is 1", but there are threaded 1 1/8" out there, and by '99 this is what this bike would have. During this time, MTB's such as the Hardrock were sometimes offered in two models, either with a rigid fork or a suspension fork, but the frame was usually the same for either model, therefore the 1 1/8" fork/headset size on these bikes.

Last edited by well biked; 02-22-06 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarification
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 05:04 AM   #4
Svr
Senior Member
 
Svr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas
Okay...I found a late-90's (1999?) Specialized Hardrock without a fork at my bike co-op....and I have a threadless fork to put on the bike, but the headset that is on it is threaded...

Does anyone know what size threadless headset I need to get for the bike in order to install the new fork?....

The bike is still at the co-op workshop right now...otherwise I could just check myself. I'd like to go ahead and buy one before I go back there on saturday to finish it up.....

can anyone help me out with this???
Your choices are limited to the fork you're installing. The fork size must match the head tube on the frame. Don't guess at this, measure and be sure.

I'm going to have to disagree about the 1 1/8" threaded steerers. They were very common throughout the '90s.
Svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:22 AM   #5
aballas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
aballas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Morgantown, WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay...i checked on it and it seems that the headset that came with it should be 1 1/8"

so do I just need to get a 1 1/8 threadless headset??

I think the fork is only 1" though...so should i go through the trouble to get a shim for it? or should I just look for another fork?
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:30 AM   #6
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,056
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas
okay...i checked on it and it seems that the headset that came with it should be 1 1/8"

so do I just need to get a 1 1/8 threadless headset??

I think the fork is only 1" though...so should i go through the trouble to get a shim for it? or should I just look for another fork?
A 1 1/8" threadless headset should be all you need (other then a stem). On the fork, measure it. Or take it with you when you buy the headset. If it is a 1", I'd get a new fork since shimming and adapting a 1" to a 1 1/8" can be done but it requires a lot of futzing that you might not want to do.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:33 AM   #7
aballas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
aballas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Morgantown, WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah i kinda figured it would be more work than it's worth....

the fork is at the co-op lower end suntour so it's not like I bought it or anything...we're allowed ton swap whatever parts (as long as we do volunteer work too).. and I might be able to find another bike with a 1 1/8" fork that I can cannibalize there....actually I already have my eye on one...i just need to make sure it's a 1 1/8"
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 12:45 PM   #8
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas
yeah i kinda figured it would be more work than it's worth....

the fork is at the co-op lower end suntour so it's not like I bought it or anything...we're allowed ton swap whatever parts (as long as we do volunteer work too).. and I might be able to find another bike with a 1 1/8" fork that I can cannibalize there....actually I already have my eye on one...i just need to make sure it's a 1 1/8"
I think I'd try and find a 1 1/8" threaded, rigid fork and stem at the co-op, use the 1 1/8" threaded headset that's already on the bike, and you're good to go. I'm pretty sure that's what would have come on that model Hardrock to begin with-
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 02:34 PM   #9
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel kinda stupid saying I 1/8 inch threaded are rare....there is one on my fork wall.
Came off a Diamondback mtb. So ya, they exist..right under your nose!
I'd send it but i'm in Canada, and really -it's not a super nice fork.
Look at any AL frame mtb's -older with Rigid forks. The larger AL tubing\headtube are more likely to be 1 1/8 inch. 1 inch I relate to steel frames.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 06:15 PM   #10
aballas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
aballas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Morgantown, WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
I think I'd try and find a 1 1/8" threaded, rigid fork and stem at the co-op, use the 1 1/8" threaded headset that's already on the bike, and you're good to go. I'm pretty sure that's what would have come on that model Hardrock to begin with-

well I found out it's a 2000 hardrock, and it came with either front suspension or rigid fork...

since I live in WV and we have some pretty intense trails right around my house I would really rather go with front suspension....
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 06:17 PM   #11
aballas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
aballas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Morgantown, WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that and i'm just really not a fan of rigid forks...
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 01:39 PM   #12
broomhandle
Senior Member
 
broomhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Orangevale, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get a threadless shock off ebay, and a headset and your off. just check on the stem lenght and make sure its long enough. you get get a rock shox judy for pretty cheap off ebay.
broomhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.