Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ultegra front hub clicking

    My front Ultegra Hub has begun to click, I can hear the bearings clicking against one another. It has over 10,000 miles and 5 years on it. Is it shot? If so, is it safe?
    Is it time for just a new hub or a complete wheel set. I am at the mercy of the local bike shop for major repairs.

  2. #2
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byoh20
    My front Ultegra Hub has begun to click, I can hear the bearings clicking against one another. It has over 10,000 miles and 5 years on it. Is it shot? If so, is it safe?
    Is it time for just a new hub or a complete wheel set. I am at the mercy of the local bike shop for major repairs.
    At a minimum, it needs to be broken down and greased (as it sounds like the grease is long gone). You might luck out and just need grease. The only way to really assess the hub is to open it up and see what's going on. A good shop can replace the bearing race cups and cones (i.e. rebuild the hub). That hub should have loose balls and they should be replaced as a matter of course. If your spokes and rim are in good shape, you should try to get the hub serviced first.

    Here's a labor quote from a Boston area LBS:

    Repack Front Hub $18.00
    Replacing Internal Hub Races add $10.00

    So, if you add the cost of the hub races, new cones, and new balls, that should be the worst case you are looking at. I'd guess those parts would be <$30. So, add labor to that and there you are.
    Ask for an estimate and see if it makes sense.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the promising information

  4. #4
    Senior Member concernicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    doesnt matter. just ride.
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you may wanna have the lbs check out the rear hub while youre at it. dont want that happening to the rear too

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,260
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade168
    At a minimum, it needs to be broken down and greased (as it sounds like the grease is long gone). You might luck out and just need grease. The only way to really assess the hub is to open it up and see what's going on. A good shop can replace the bearing race cups and cones (i.e. rebuild the hub). That hub should have loose balls and they should be replaced as a matter of course. If your spokes and rim are in good shape, you should try to get the hub serviced first.
    New cones are easily found for Shimano hubs but I've never seen replacement races. Where do you get them?

    Campy's big selling point was that you could get all sorts of replacement parts including hub races. What they didn't say is that the parts are so expensive that replacing the entire item was often more cost effective.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shot of grease and the hub sounds good as new. I'll take the rear one in soon for the same. Tried a new lbs with great results.

  7. #7
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider
    New cones are easily found for Shimano hubs but I've never seen replacement races. Where do you get them?

    Campy's big selling point was that you could get all sorts of replacement parts including hub races. What they didn't say is that the parts are so expensive that replacing the entire item was often more cost effective.
    Yes, I can't find them now either. I did find Campy cups for front hubs, but I don't see them for Shimano front hubs. I would have sworn I'd seen them in the past but they are not in the current QBP. I had some 105 cups replaced about two years ago and they are pretty much the same design as the Ultegras. I can't say for sure whether they were Shimano parts or not. I just had a shop do the work and it cost me ~$35 for parts and labor.

    Your point about the cost of replacement parts is very valid. I had pitted cups on a beater bike I have and looked into getting the cups replaced. But, then I found a Deore hub for $12. Tearing down the wheel and replacing the hub turned out to be a lot cheaper. I guess maybe I'm showing my age by even thinking about replacing cups.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •