Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: caliper brakes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hiya

    I just bought a bike with caliper brakes that are a little shot - i've only really worked with V brakes, but now I'm reading how hard it is to adjust calipers! Arrhh! Did I make a bad choice?? My post-purchase doubt is beginning to settle in!!!

    Is it expensive to replace them? Are they very specific - ie: need to make sure they fit the frame? I'm considering picking up a new pair, but the wheels on the bike i just bought aren't racing wheels - so would it be fair to assume racing calipers won't fit?
    Last edited by tansc; 03-18-06 at 05:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,421
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the info on sidepull caliper brakes.

    Older sidepulls can be very weak and bendy. Modern designs such as Shimano dual pivots are a whole lot better and a very effective upgrade. The Shimanos are available in std and long drop versions. My long drops are used on a frame which accepts 32mm tyres + fenders.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    phlia
    My Bikes
    paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar makes a nice set of long reach calipers (45-57 mm) that do not break the bank. they are dual pivot and have good stopping power. I used a set last season on a touring bike and was not disapointed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,008
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tansc
    hiya

    I just bought a bike with caliper brakes that are a little shot - i've only really worked with V brakes, but now I'm reading how hard it is to adjust calipers! Arrhh! Did I make a bad choice?? My post-purchase doubt is beginning to settle in!!!

    Is it expensive to replace them? Are they very specific - ie: need to make sure they fit the frame? I'm considering picking up a new pair, but the wheels on the bike i just bought aren't racing wheels - so would it be fair to assume racing calipers won't fit?
    Modern dual pivot caliper brakes are a piece of cake to adjust. If you have some older Dia Compe brakes replaceing them is well worth the cost because new ones will be both easier to keep adjusted and will stop your bike better. The important thing to check when looking for replacements is "reach". You need to measure the vertical distance from your brake mounting hole to the braking surface of your rim in millimeters.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    The important thing to check when looking for replacements is "reach". You need to measure the vertical distance from your brake mounting hole to the braking surface of your rim in millimeters.
    is this placing measuring from the middle of the hole directly (Diagonally) to the braking surface? Or do i measure vertically down to the level of the breaking surface?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh the bike has single pivot sidepulls! am i stuffed? can i ever get replacements?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,008
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tansc
    is this placing measuring from the middle of the hole directly (Diagonally) to the braking surface? Or do i measure vertically down to the level of the breaking surface?
    Measure vertically.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •