I currently have a decent bike (Cannondale R700) but am looking to upgrade to a better one because the fit on my current bike isn't as good as I would like.
So, I'm thinking about building my own bike next time to really immerse myself in the sport and get the bike the way I want it to. So a few questions:
1. How difficult is it? The most mechanically challenging thing I've ever done on my bike was to adjust the derailleurs and their low and high limits. On the other hand, I am pretty good at picking up on things like that (work in IT, built my own PC, etc.)
2. What's a good way to learn and get started? Is there a good book? I already have Zinn's book on bike repairs.
3. How much extra equipment do you need to buy? I have a small toolkit and plan on buying a work stand (any recommendations?). What else do I need?
4. How can I ensure a good fit? I know close to nothing about bike geometry.
5. Where do you order your parts?