Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-06, 09:36 PM   #1
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what size sprocket can I use on my Raleigh 3 speed?

I'd like to replace the stock rear sprocket (1950 raleigh sports) for something begger 21 or 22 tooth? Will that work with a full chaincase or will it interfere? Do I need to get a new chain?

Thanks
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 11:10 PM   #2
jcm
Gemutlichkeit
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that a 22 will work. A really good source is cudak888. He hangs out over in Vintage. Another source is Lord Sheldon Brown.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 09:51 PM   #3
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm
I've heard that a 22 will work. A really good source is cudak888. He hangs out over in Vintage. Another source is Lord Sheldon Brown.
Thanks JCM. I did post over at vintage first , but received no advice.

Serge
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 11:10 PM   #4
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,326
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
There should be enough space to adjust the axle in the dropouts to make a new chain unnecessary. I would try and make it work without buying a new chain first - you can pick one up if necessary. Cog width doesn't really matter, since the bike has a 1/8" chain. You should get a 1/8" cog just as a matter of principle, but it's no big deal if you can only find it in 3/32".
grolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 08:14 PM   #5
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby
There should be enough space to adjust the axle in the dropouts to make a new chain unnecessary. I would try and make it work without buying a new chain first - you can pick one up if necessary. Cog width doesn't really matter, since the bike has a 1/8" chain. You should get a 1/8" cog just as a matter of principle, but it's no big deal if you can only find it in 3/32".
Thanks Grolby,

I found a used SA 22 tooth cog today & should have it via mail in a few days. I was going to have the LBS switch it, but maybe I'll attempt to install it myself

Thanks for the advice on the chain, I'll use the original as you suggested.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 08:17 PM   #6
spider-man
Ferrous wheel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Orleans
Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The cogs are simple to install. Pry off the retainer clip, remove spacer and old cog. Reverse using new cog.

Be aware which way the old cog is positioned. They can be reversed to adjust chainline.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:25 AM   #7
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man
The cogs are simple to install. Pry off the retainer clip, remove spacer and old cog. Reverse using new cog.

Be aware which way the old cog is positioned. They can be reversed to adjust chainline.
Thanks spider-man,

Sounds easy. It appears, the chaincase is the main obstacle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raleighbike.jpg (62.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by serge; 03-22-06 at 11:35 AM.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 02:24 PM   #8
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have a 46/22 on my bike and it works great. It gives a fairly low 1st gear which makes it easy to accelerate from a stop. 2nd is my default gear, easy to spin and actually pretty fast and 3rd gear is around a 75 in. gear, which if I get spinning, I can go easily over 25 mph for short bursts.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 02:30 PM   #9
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge
Thanks spider-man,

Sounds easy. It appears, the chaincase is the main obstacle
By the way, sweet bike. What is it?
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:32 PM   #10
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I have a 46/22 on my bike and it works great. It gives a fairly low 1st gear which makes it easy to accelerate from a stop. 2nd is my default gear, easy to spin and actually pretty fast and 3rd gear is around a 75 in. gear, which if I get spinning, I can go easily over 25 mph for short bursts.
Hi San Rensho,

Sounds what I need, as tend to use 1st as my default now. I think the dynohub & the overall weight of the bike makes it slow of the start. I have an newer ('62) lighter Puch 3 speed which has the same gearing & I tend to use 2nd as my default.

Do you have the enclosed chaincase on your?
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:34 PM   #11
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho
By the way, sweet bike. What is it?
An all original 1950 Raleigh Sports with dynohub. A very smooth ride
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:58 PM   #12
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge
Hi San Rensho,

Sounds what I need, as tend to use 1st as my default now. I think the dynohub & the overall weight of the bike makes it slow of the start. I have an newer ('62) lighter Puch 3 speed which has the same gearing & I tend to use 2nd as my default.

Do you have the enclosed chaincase on your?
I've got a 71 Dunelt. No chaincase, though. I thought Raliegh's with chaincases weren't imported to the US, could be wrong.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 05:51 PM   #13
serge
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I've got a 71 Dunelt. No chaincase, though. I thought Raliegh's with chaincases weren't imported to the US, could be wrong.
Yes I'm unclear on that myself. From what I've read some probably were, although not as many & probably the chaincases were more common on 50's vintage bikes? Just a guess based on what I've seen floating around. When I bought my bike they also had a 59 Phillips Manhattan with a chaincase + a bunch of older cool looking bikes with them, unfortunately they were all ladies bikes, apart from the Phillips.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.