Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Stv
    Stv is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    AJAX not the soap, Canada
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrade 9spd. to 10spd. Shimano ?'s

    Since I upgraded my project steel bike to a Campy/Veloce 10 spd., I've been very impressed and pleased with it. I've been riding it as my primary. I don't know if it's the Campy part or the 10spd. part but I'm looking to upgrade my other ride to a 10 spd. also. Just wish I had the bucks to go Campy on it too!

    I have a 2005 Specialized Roubaix 9 spd./trpl.crk./105 equipped ride. The Rear Dérailleur is Ultegra along with the chain and cassette. I understand that 9spd. hubs will carry a 10spd. cassette.

    It goes without saying that the Brifters will have to be changed to a 10spd. along with the cassette and chain. I'm gonna lose my Flight Deck too.

    My question(s) is : Will both Front 105 Dérailleur have to be changed and the Rear Ultegra Dérailleur also have to be upgraded for 10spd. service ?

    Will the 9spd. trpl.cranks work with a ten chain?

    Anything else that I may have failed to consider?
    Last edited by Stv; 03-31-06 at 07:39 PM.
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

  2. #2
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theory or practice ?

    In practice, chain, cassette and right brifter are all you need to change. You might as well change the left one so both look the same.

    Read this page by Sheldon Brown.
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  3. #3
    Stv
    Stv is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    AJAX not the soap, Canada
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Michel,

    Looking doable to moi.
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

  4. #4
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stv
    Looking doable to moi.
    If you're considering this parts-swap because you think you'll get better shifting performance, I'd at least advise you to head over to your local bike shop and test ride a bike that has the components you're interested in.

    The reason you like your Veloce components better than your Shimano stuff might just be due to the fact that Campy has a different feel to it than Shimano. The number of cogs on the cassette (i.e. 9-speed vs. 10-speed) has nothing to do with it, especially when it comes to Campy. Shimano did make significant design changes in their shift levers when they went to 10-speed, but their action is still more similar to Shimano 9-speed levers than Campy any-speed levers.

    If you discover that it's really just Campy's levers that you prefer, there's another serious alternative you should consider. Get Veloce levers and run them with the rest of your Shimano drivetrain using a Jtek ShiftMate. It would be far less expensive than getting 10-speed 105 levers (plus cassette and chain) and you might be even happier with the result. You would have the option of staying with a 9-speed cassette or switching to 10-speed, depending on which model ShiftMate you get.
    Last edited by juicemouse; 04-01-06 at 06:12 AM.
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member toolboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    My Bikes
    Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicemouse
    another serious alternative you should consider. Get Veloce levers and run them with the rest of your Shimano drivetrain using a Jtek ShiftMate
    +1 on the Shiftmate

  6. #6
    Stv
    Stv is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    AJAX not the soap, Canada
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicemouse
    The reason you like your Veloce components better than your Shimano stuff might just be due to the fact that Campy has a different feel to it than Shimano. The number of cogs on the cassette (i.e. 9-speed vs. 10-speed) has nothing to do with it, especially when it comes to Campy. Shimano did make significant design changes in their shift levers when they went to 10-speed, but their action is still more similar to Shimano 9-speed levers than Campy any-speed levers.

    If you discover that it's really just Campy's levers that you prefer, there's another serious alternative you should consider. Get Veloce levers and run them with the rest of your Shimano drive-train using a Jtek ShiftMate.


    Thank you for the clarification and cross over ShiftMate information. I was seriously heading down the Shimano brifter upgrade. Food for some very serious thought.

    Yes, it is the Campy levers that I prefer. The shifting is just so effortlessly smooth in comparison to the Shimano 9spd. I don't feel the shift (clunk!) back thru the drive-line, only the resulting change in gear ratios as a result.

    I really like the Campy ratchet fine adjustment on the front dérailleur. A cleaner brifter cable look also.

    Luv this sight.....thanx!
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,145
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does sound like it's the Campy part of the setup you like more than the number of cogs. Before you buy a shiftmate check to see if you can replace the rear hub shell with a Campy. This is possible with some hubs, if so you could run a Campy rear derailleur and any campy cassette without having to completely rebuild the rear wheel.

    Al

  8. #8
    Senior Member juicemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    It does sound like it's the Campy part of the setup you like more than the number of cogs. Before you buy a shiftmate check to see if you can replace the rear hub shell with a Campy. This is possible with some hubs, if so you could run a Campy rear derailleur and any campy cassette without having to completely rebuild the rear wheel.

    Al
    Pretty sure Alex/A-Class wheels (which I believe came stock on that bike) can't be converted.
    It is my belief that every person in this world has something to teach, and everything to learn.

    In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...

  9. #9
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Convenience wise, using Ergo shifter with a Shift-Mate and a Shimano cassette work as well as using an Ergo shifter with a Campagnolo cassette on a Campagnolo wheel. And pricewise, the Shift-Mate approach is by far the cheapest, as you "only" need to change your shifters (that's what you want anyway) and buy the Shiftmate (about $35, if my memory is right).

    So, to put it clearly, the Shift-Mate is not a "cludge". A drivetrain with a Shift-Mate is as good and as reliable as a drivetrain which doesn't have one.
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  10. #10
    Stv
    Stv is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    AJAX not the soap, Canada
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
    Convenience wise, using Ergo shifter with a Shift-Mate and a Shimano cassette work as well as using an Ergo shifter with a Campagnolo cassette on a Campagnolo wheel. And pricewise, the Shift-Mate approach is by far the cheapest, as you "only" need to change your shifters (that's what you want anyway) and buy the Shiftmate (about $35, if my memory is right).

    So, to put it clearly, the Shift-Mate is not a "cludge". A drivetrain with a Shift-Mate is as good and as reliable as a drivetrain which doesn't have one.

    Yes, this looks like the way to go. Ergo shifter, Shift-Mate, 10 spd./cass./chn. I'm going to lose the Flight-Deck and will need a new Cat-Eye unit or such also.

    (I would like to put a set of Campy/Vento/Blk wheels on it too)

    But, I'm just getting over a recent bike build. $tretching the limited finances now!

    Maybe in a couple of weeks..................

    Thanx for the help/info guys.

    Merci,
    Michel
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    43 40'N, 79 20'W
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option if you are to get the wheels, is to get them with the Campy 10 speed gears, buy the Campy rear derailleur for about $75.00 CND, then you won't need the Shiftmate @ $40.00 CND.

  12. #12
    Stv
    Stv is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    AJAX not the soap, Canada
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rvdv: "Another option if you are to get the wheels, is to get them with the Campy 10 speed gears, buy the Campy rear derailleur for about $75.00 CND, then you won't need the Shiftmate @ $40.00 CND."



    We're getting close to a $G-note now, on that route.
    This might make a good end of season project if I'm not forced to upgrade due to maintenance/wear issues beforehand.

    Thanx rvdv.
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •