Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Cannondale R700 Stars and Stripes Edition, Cannondale R900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you converting from? What frame and is it a 9spd system?
This is what I have done:
1. If you don't have a hub with a cassette body that will accept a 10 speed cassette you will be in trouble. Make sure the new 10 spd cassette fits on the cassette body.
2. Test fit the rear wheel w/ the 10spd cassette in place to make sure it will fit and that the chain is not too close to the rear stays.
3. Install the crank and bb to make sure they fit.
4. Test the crank, cassette, r. der, f. der and chain to make sure the chain line is good and everything clears like it should. Manually move the chain to the big ring in front to see if the chainline is good when its in the smallest ring on the cassette. Move the chain back down to the small ring in front and the big ring in back and check that chainline.
5. Install the shifters and run the lines. Run through everything, brakes, all the gears and get it adjusted.
6. Tape the bars.
The critical parts are always, rear wheel/cassette fit, chain line and the way the BB fits. Chainline and rear wheel can put the brakes on a conversion real quick.