Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny California
Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
The first step before replacing parts is to make sure everything is tight. Cranks are the most common offender.
I would have to agree with this post as I recently had this same problem. Believe it or not this forum has had this issue come up very frequently and there has been a lot of great advice.
In my pursuit I had tried multiple seats, seatposts, BB's, pedals, shoes and cranks to no avail. I am running Campy Record Carbon on a Look KG 461.
The way that I finally solved the problem was to:
1) Purchase a reasonably priced (AKA: cheap) torque wrench (yes, I read the forum on which torque wrench is best)
2) Remove cranks
3) Use a front wheel skewer (you may need to use a rear if you are running a tripple) to hold the BB tool in place and prevent slipage and damage
4) Remove BB
5) Ensure that BB threads are well greased
6) Tighten BB using torque wrench to 38lbs based on Campy specs (yes I had kept my owners manuals)
6) Grease faces of spindle (I know opinions vary here too)
7) Grease crank bolts liberally
8) Tighten cranks to Campy spec's of 28lbs (yup, kept that manual too)
The most interesting thing I noticed visually was that the non-drive side crank was pulled much further onto the spindle when tightened using the torque wrench than I had ever done using my 4" 8mm allen wrench. You can virtually see no spindle at all now. This is also where I had suspected the root of my problem was to begin with. I was about to send the crank arm back under warranty as it is only about 6 months old.
Problem solved after a ride w/ a 2,000 foot climb yesterday!
Hope this all helps.