Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Dazed and confused Ellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Kona Caldera, Raleigh Record ("Rusty"), Tiger Foldaway ("Cub")
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Problem with Connex link

    I've just bought a Wipperman Connex 808 (I ride 8-speed), and I can't get the link to fit. It's been an absolute pain to get the link bits to the end of the slots. I'm still not sure I've got it fully seated, and the link is stiff as and won't loosen.

    Anyone got any tips? I've used an sram before and that wasn't a problem. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to take it out and replace with normal links.

    (I've replaced the cassette and cleaned the whole thing up after the winter muck, looks lovely, really want to get riding again now...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the connex a bunch on 10 speed chains and they do take some practice. Make sure that you hold the two halves at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the chain. If you are off a bit, the halves will not engage. So when you are ready to engage them your chain will look like it has a "z" in it. Of course you also have to make sure that you get the pins of the connex in the correct hole in the other side of the connex (if that makes sense). Basically the connex halves will look like they are overlapping when they are correctly aligned for insertion. Then the pins slip in the holes and the two halves can be moved into the correct postion so that it looks like a normal link. Its hard to describe but I hope this helps. I also bought an inexpensive tool that looks like a big spring that holds the chain ends together while I do this and it makes it even easier.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,273
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    I also bought an inexpensive tool that looks like a big spring that holds the chain ends together while I do this and it makes it even easier.
    You can make something very similar from a piece of coat hangar wire at no cost. Take a piece of wire about 5" long, bend it into a shallow "U" shape and then bend about 1/2" at each end inward to form hooks. It is a very useful tool for any chain installation job.

  4. #4
    Curmudgeon Wil Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nausea, New Hamster
    My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Wil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "" - Marcel Marceau

  5. #5
    Dazed and confused Ellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Kona Caldera, Raleigh Record ("Rusty"), Tiger Foldaway ("Cub")
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    I have used the connex a bunch on 10 speed chains and they do take some practice. Make sure that you hold the two halves at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the chain. If you are off a bit, the halves will not engage. So when you are ready to engage them your chain will look like it has a "z" in it. Of course you also have to make sure that you get the pins of the connex in the correct hole in the other side of the connex (if that makes sense). Basically the connex halves will look like they are overlapping when they are correctly aligned for insertion. Then the pins slip in the holes and the two halves can be moved into the correct postion so that it looks like a normal link. Its hard to describe but I hope this helps. I also bought an inexpensive tool that looks like a big spring that holds the chain ends together while I do this and it makes it even easier.
    Yup, that describes what I've done. I've had them at 90 degrees (repeatedly... That tool would have been a useful idea! ), got them lined up, pins slipped into the holes, and I cannot get them to the correct position. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but they are stiff as anything and won't move from the z shape without forcing, and then when I get them to the normal link position, the link won't flex.

    Faulty link? Or am I missing something?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,273
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Davis
    - Wil
    That's it. I bend the center into a shallow "U" as I mentioned as it gives me better access to the chain ends.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie
    Yup, that describes what I've done. I've had them at 90 degrees (repeatedly... That tool would have been a useful idea! ), got them lined up, pins slipped into the holes, and I cannot get them to the correct position. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but they are stiff as anything and won't move from the z shape without forcing, and then when I get them to the normal link position, the link won't flex.

    Faulty link? Or am I missing something?
    Are you sure your getting both pins seated correctly? As I mentioned if you only get one pin seated before trying to straighten it out that will cause it to bind. If that is not the case, I'm out of suggestions. I gues it could be faulty but that seems unlikely as they are such simple components.

    As to the tool. Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I wanted two people in China to have jobs; the wire bender and the plastic center piece maker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •