Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-06, 04:56 PM   #1
Portis
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vbrake or Cantilever

What is the primary difference between a fork that is vbrake compatible vs. a fork that is cantilever compatible? I just ordered a rigid fork at my lbs for my mountain bike and the guy told me that cantilever will work with vbrakes. I'm thinking............NOT!

I think it was this fork.

Last edited by Portis; 05-01-06 at 05:02 PM.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 05:03 PM   #2
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Bikes: '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Over the weekend I mounted a set of Tektro V-brakes on a Miyata Triplecross frame designed for cantis. No problems at all.
Top
top506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 05:11 PM   #3
nemonis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Eastern Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe the bosses are exactly the same for v-brakes vs. cantilever brakes. This means that the fork you show would work quite well with either type of brake. Of course, with cantilever brakes you would need a cable hanger that goes over the steere tube. The major difference between v-brakes and cantilevers is that cantis are usually designed to be used with road brake levers, so they require a shorter cable pull, and thus a higher mechanical advantage in the brake lever. V-brakes are designed to be used with mountain levers and require a longer cable pull.

I hope this helps answer your question. You can run either type on that fork.

God bless!
Wayne J.
nemonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 05:51 PM   #4
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portis
What is the primary difference between a fork that is vbrake compatible vs. a fork that is cantilever compatible? I just ordered a rigid fork at my lbs for my mountain bike and the guy told me that cantilever will work with vbrakes. I'm thinking............NOT!
Any fork that will work with traditional center-pull cantilevers will also work with "v type" brakes.

Any rigid fork that will work for one will work with the other.

The only compatibility issue is with some suspension forks, that can only be used with "v type" brakes because there's no place to mount the housing stop for a traditional center-pull cantilever.

Sheldon "Yes And No" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------+
|  Athletic scholarships are a corrupting  |
|  cancer on the U.S. educational system.  |
+------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 07:01 PM   #5
Portis
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I feel a lot better now. (When Sheldon answers a question i always pause and listen for the thunder. just kidding, truly appreciate it.)
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 09:08 PM   #6
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,266
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Any fork that will work with traditional center-pull cantilevers will also work with "v type" brakes.

Any rigid fork that will work for one will work with the other.

The only compatibility issue is with some suspension forks, that can only be used with "v type" brakes because there's no place to mount the housing stop for a traditional center-pull cantilever.

Sheldon "Yes And No" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------+
|  Athletic scholarships are a corrupting  |
|  cancer on the U.S. educational system.  |
+------------------------------------------+
Well, it feels a bit strange to contradict you, Sheldon, but this is in fact not necessarily true. The very large majority of forks that work with traditional cantis will also work with V-brakes, but there are some very few exceptions. I know from personal experience - my 1986 Miyata 210 is one of the exceptions! I discovered this only after spending 60 bucks on v-brake road levers and another $30 or so on the brakes themselves. The posts on my fork are too short (this causes problems even with most cantis; I've just been using the same allen bolts for three sets of brakes now!), and the posts themselves are too close together (mounted toward the insides of the fork blades) for v-brakes to work, at least not without some serious modification of the hardware for clearance. It seems that some few older bicycles in the 80's were designed to work specifically with certain Dia-Compe cantilever brake models, and can be pretty fussy if you try to use different cantilevers, let alone v-brakes. Why this is, I don't know. It has caused me some considerable aggravation - I've been hoarding my over-priced levers for about a year now, not really sure what to do with them except wait until I can afford a Surly LHT!

That being said, I will offer the same advice that Sheldon has: don't worry about it. All of my (admittedly limited) experience suggests that this is a vanishingly rare problem, present only on a very few early to mid 80's touring bicycles. If Sheldon Brown hasn't heard of this, then it's pretty unlikely to be an issue. In fact, for any after-market fork that you can buy now, it is one-hundred percent guaranteed not to be an issue. I just wanted to point out that there have been some design changes/differences in opinion over the years around cantilever mounts, even though things are (fortunately) completely standardized at this point.
grolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 10:46 PM   #7
Braquet
Brussels Sprout
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Bikes: Koga-Miyata (lugged steel TerraLinerOval); Trek Fuel EX8; Cannondale Caad8 R800 2006; Brompton
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beware cable stops

While either brakes will fit the your chosen fork and existing frame, the annoying issue lies in the cable stops. If your frame does not have brazed on hangers allowing you to feed cables centered above the cantis, you will have to dig out little hardware gizmos that are quite difficult to find, and place one on the steerer under the stem, and the other at the bolt-on screw securing the seatpost. The front one will take some height under the stem (around 5mm), thus forcing you to play with raisers. The back one will have to fit your bolt-on screw (different sizes exist) OR you need a special clamp-on ring.... Harris Cyclery has that kind of stuff but it can be a real pain in the a.. to identify the perfect setup... Life is easier with v-brakes than cantis, if you dot have road brake levers of course.
Braquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 02:30 AM   #8
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portis
What is the primary difference between a fork that is vbrake compatible vs. a fork that is cantilever compatible? I just ordered a rigid fork at my lbs for my mountain bike and the guy told me that cantilever will work with vbrakes. I'm thinking............NOT!

I think it was this fork.
No difference, they are identical. U-brakes are another story. Good luck

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 06:31 AM   #9
Portis
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braquet
While either brakes will fit the your chosen fork and existing frame, the annoying issue lies in the cable stops. If your frame does not have brazed on hangers allowing you to feed cables centered above the cantis, you will have to dig out little hardware gizmos that are quite difficult to find, and place one on the steerer under the stem, and the other at the bolt-on screw securing the seatpost. The front one will take some height under the stem (around 5mm), thus forcing you to play with raisers. The back one will have to fit your bolt-on screw (different sizes exist) OR you need a special clamp-on ring.... Harris Cyclery has that kind of stuff but it can be a real pain in the a.. to identify the perfect setup... Life is easier with v-brakes than cantis, if you dot have road brake levers of course.
Why would cable stops be an issue? I'm trying to run v-brakes on a fork designed for canti's. They all tell me it will work. So the cables, stops and routing will not change.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 08:56 AM   #10
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It will work.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 12:27 PM   #11
Braquet
Brussels Sprout
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Bikes: Koga-Miyata (lugged steel TerraLinerOval); Trek Fuel EX8; Cannondale Caad8 R800 2006; Brompton
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portis
Why would cable stops be an issue? I'm trying to run v-brakes on a fork designed for canti's. They all tell me it will work. So the cables, stops and routing will not change.
That is fine - the issue happens the other way round. Yes, it will work.
Braquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 07:18 PM   #12
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montréal (Québec)
Bikes:
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only problem in using v-brakes on a mountain bike comes with tire size. V-brakes have an arm length of 100 mm or 4 inches (I don't remember precisely), which means you have about 95 mm between the canti/v-brake bosses and the horizontal cable.

This limits you to about 2.75 or 3 inch wide tires if you don't have fenders, and about 2.5 or 2.75 inch wide tires if you have full fenders. And with such sizes, clearance would be a little tight for sticky mud. Apart from that, there is no problem with v-brakes in "civilized" environments.
Michel Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.