Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Are Threadless quill adapters any good?

    I have a 1990 Trek 8500. The 1996 rockshox judy xc that's on it is shot. My steertube is 1 1/8 in. and it is threaded. All decent suspension forks are threadless now, and I want to put a used judy tt on it. My options are to replace the headset and stem with a threadless model for 52$ (parts and labor). (Aprx-$20 for headset, $5 for stem, $25 for labor.) or.....buy a quill adapter that allows me to use a threadless fork and stem for 15$. ( $10 for adapter, 5$ for a threadless stem.) Does anyone know anything about these adapters? How do they work? Do they hold up? Will this adapter actually allow me to mount a threadless fork on a threaded headset? I hear there are even adapters to go from 1" threaded, to 1 1/8" threadless, which would come in handy on my girlfriend's Raleigh M60. Is it worth saving $37, or should I "fork" out the extra money? (pun intended.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

  2. #2
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manmountain
    I have a 1990 Trek 8500. The 1996 rockshox judy xc that's on it is shot. My steertube is 1 1/8 in. and it is threaded. All decent suspension forks are threadless now, and I want to put a used judy tt on it. My options are to replace the headset and stem with a threadless model for 52$ (parts and labor). (Aprx-$20 for headset, $5 for stem, $25 for labor.) or.....buy a quill adapter that allows me to use a threadless fork and stem for 15$. ( $10 for adapter, 5$ for a threadless stem.) Does anyone know anything about these adapters? How do they work? Do they hold up? Will this adapter actually allow me to mount a threadless fork on a threaded headset? I hear there are even adapters to go from 1" threaded, to 1 1/8" threadless, which would come in handy on my girlfriend's Raleigh M60. Is it worth saving $37, or should I "fork" out the extra money? (pun intended.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
    I'm assuming the fork you're buying is threadless. If that's correct, you will need to replace the headset in any case.

    Your old stem won't fit the threadless fork, so you need a new stem too.

    You don't need the quill adaptor with a threadless fork, the quill adaptor is to let you use a threadless-type stem with a threaded fork. In fact, the adaptor generally will not fit into a threadless fork.

    Don't feel bad...lots of folks are confused by this stuff.

    Sheldon "Less Is More?" Brown
    Code:
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    |       I saw a man pursuing the horizon;       |         
    |       Round and round they sped.              |      
    |       I was disturbed at this;                |      
    |       I accosted the man.                     |      
    |                                               |      
    |       "It is futile," I said,                 |      
    |       "You can never--"                       |      
    |                                               |      
    |       "You lie," he cried,                    |
    |       And ran on.                             |
    |                    --Stephen Crane            |
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me get this straight. The adapter would only allow me to use a threadless stem with my threaded headset, but not a threadless fork? Let me ask you this then. Does $52 sound fair for a threadless headset and stem (including labor to install)? and also....is there a solution for my girlfriends bike? She has a 1" threaded steertube. Rst are the only threaded forks I can find, and I'm not really interested in them. If I replaced her headset and stem with a threadless model, are there any 1" threadless forks available, or is there an adapter that would allow a mount of a 1-1/8" fork on her bike? I've seen adapters that claim this is possible, but obviously I don't understand how it works. Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    9,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you DON"T replace the 1" threaded headset on your girlfreinds bike, you can purchase a threaded fork from NYCbikes.com. He sells a Suntour 3000 for $29 plus shipping. I've purchased and installed this fork on an older MTB. Its not a great fork, but it is sturdy. If you have cantilever brakes, you will have to fashion your own bracket/brace to hold the brake cable. This is an inexpensive way to convert a bike to a suspension bike. Be aware that such a change alters the geometry of the bike by lifting the front of the top tube about 1.5 inches and will have an effect on handling.
    EDIT: I re-read your post. If you don't like RST shocks because their 1" threaded version is low end, you will hate the Suntour. It too is a low end shock. FYI
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  5. #5
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manmountain
    So let me get this straight. The adapter would only allow me to use a threadless stem with my threaded headset, but not a threadless fork? Let me ask you this then. Does $52 sound fair for a threadless headset and stem (including labor to install)?
    The quill adaptor has nothing to do with the headset as such, it doesn't touch the headset at any point.

    The quill adaptor connects a threadED fork to a stem made for a threadLESS headset.

    $52 sounds very reasonable to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by manmountain
    and also....is there a solution for my girlfriends bike? She has a 1" threaded steertube. Rst are the only threaded forks I can find, and I'm not really interested in them. If I replaced her headset and stem with a threadless model, are there any 1" threadless forks available, or is there an adapter that would allow a mount of a 1-1/8" fork on her bike? I've seen adapters that claim this is possible, but obviously I don't understand how it works. Thanks for your help.
    There were 6 basic types: three diameters (1", 1 1/8" 1 1/4") and two systems (threaded, threadless.)

    The industry has pretty much settled down to two, and the other systems are going the way of the Betamax.

    The viable systems are 1 1/8" threadless, and 1" threaded.

    Converting your girlfriend's bike to 1" threadLESS would not be doing her a favor. There is no way to install a 1 1/8" fork in a frame made for a 1" fork.

    If it ain't broke...

    Sheldon "Standardization" Brown
    Code:
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    |       The wayfarer                            |
    |       Perceiving the pathway to truth,        |     
    |       Was struck with astonishment.           |     
    |       It was thickly grown with weeds.        |      
    |       "Ha," he said,                          |     
    |       "I see that none has passed here        |     
    |       In a long time."                        |     
    |       Later he saw that each weed             |     
    |       Was a singular knife.                   |     
    |       "Well," he mumbled at last,             |     
    |       "Doubtless there are other roads."      |      
    |                    --Stephen Crane            |     
    +-----------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and have a threadless headset and stem installed, so I can put on a used judy tt. I'm buying a used one for $50 so the total will be $102.00. My girlfriend is just going to have to settle for an rst. She doesn't ride that hard anyway. Do you have any suspension fork recommendations for a 1" threaded steertube? Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •