Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-06, 03:43 PM   #1
survivalknife
Soypocalypse Now
Thread Starter
 
survivalknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chitown, ILL
Bikes: one. fixed.
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing my stem from threaded to "less

Hey yall, I just got a sweet set of oversized (31.7 clamp diameter) Deda bars and want to put 'em on my ride. Of course I have a threaded headset and the only stems that fit these bars are threadless. I am planning on buying the adapter and a new stem but I was wondering first of all how do I find my steerer size? I think its 1 inch but I'm not sure if I'm even mesuring the right thing. Will a 1 1/8th inch stem fit a 1 inch adapter at all? Also my crappy wrenches dont even get "big" enough to remove my headset. What kind of wrenches (inexpensive a +) should I be getting? Thanks peops for any help.
survivalknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 03:57 PM   #2
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalknife
Hey yall, I just got a sweet set of oversized (31.7 clamp diameter) Deda bars and want to put 'em on my ride. Of course I have a threaded headset and the only stems that fit these bars are threadless. I am planning on buying the adapter and a new stem but I was wondering first of all how do I find my steerer size? I think its 1 inch but I'm not sure if I'm even mesuring the right thing. Will a 1 1/8th inch stem fit a 1 inch adapter at all? Also my crappy wrenches dont even get "big" enough to remove my headset. What kind of wrenches (inexpensive a +) should I be getting? Thanks peops for any help.
Most threaded headsets are the 1 inch size. Nothing you can actually see measures 1", that's the outer diameter of the fork steerer, which is not visible.

What you can see is the stem quill that fits into the fork steerer. This will be 1/8" smaller than the nominal headset size, so for a 1" setup, it's going to be 7/8" (22.2 mm.)

To make this modification, you do not do anything to the existing headset, the headset stays unless you replace the fork for some reason (not usally a good idea.) The adaptor goes in place of the quill stem.

I've got a similar setup on one of my own bikes, using a 1" threaded type stem raiser as the adaptor. This has a 1" O.D. on the upper section, and I've clamped a 1 1/8" threadless stem to it using a shim to make up the difference. (1 inch threadless stems are very uncommon, but the shims to permit a 1 1/8 stem to clamp onto a 1 inch tube are quite common, in fact they come with many 1 1/8 stems.)

Sorry this sounds complicated, but that's the way it is.

Sheldon "Fractions" Brown
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 10:37 AM   #3
survivalknife
Soypocalypse Now
Thread Starter
 
survivalknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chitown, ILL
Bikes: one. fixed.
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks so much. Thats exactly what I needed. And as far as shims go... can I use anything thats "weatherproof" or should I seek out a secific substance? thanks again.
survivalknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 10:51 AM   #4
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalknife
thanks so much. Thats exactly what I needed. And as far as shims go... can I use anything thats "weatherproof" or should I seek out a secific substance? thanks again.
The shims I've seen/used were aluminum.

See: http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=SM5320

Sheldon "Shims" Brown
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 10:53 AM   #5
capwater
Senior Member
 
capwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quahog, RI
Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many stems come with a factory shim included which as Sheldon points out is usually AL. If you don't have one it's a super cheap part at many LBS or mail order. I would advise against the "beer can shim" approach since the money you save isn't worth it.
capwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:26 PM   #6
survivalknife
Soypocalypse Now
Thread Starter
 
survivalknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chitown, ILL
Bikes: one. fixed.
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great, I'll get straight to work then. thanks for all the help.
survivalknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:45 PM   #7
CHenry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look at Easton stems, they come with a shim. I recently did a build with a 1 in. steerer and the 31.8mm Deda Newton bars (was 1 in threadless, but with the adapter for a threaded headset, you can attach in the same way.)
CHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 10:00 PM   #8
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry
Look at Easton stems, they come with a shim. I recently did a build with a 1 in. steerer and the 31.8mm Deda Newton bars (was 1 in threadless, but with the adapter for a threaded headset, you can attach in the same way.)
The house brand 1-1/8" stem I just got from Nashbar also came with the proper shim to use with a 1" steerer.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 PM.