Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Decal Removal

  1. #1
    On Two Wheels sam83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Decal Removal

    I've got a Litespeed carbon fork and I'd like to remove the decals. I tried heating them with a hair dryer and it only seemed to make the fork hot. How long do you have to heat these things? Any chance the decals are clear coated?

  2. #2
    Long haired freak. wethepeople's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Still stuck in hell.
    My Bikes
    2011 SE Old Man Flyer.
    Posts
    6,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run your finger nail from the fork onto the decal, if you dont feel a bump or change in texture it might be clearcoated. Try wd40 or something similar and a cloth to try and rub it off.

    Are you talking decals or stickers (I imagine decals, because thats what you said and it's carbon so it must be quality)

    "the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The decals on the Lightspeed fork on my Quantana Roo are clear coated over the them. I do not think WD40 is going to do anything. I would not ues any solvent as it may attack the CF. Sanding with 600 or higher wet automotive paper to remove the clear coat will get you access to the decal. Not sure how to remove it,others may have ideas. Then you could re-clear coat the whole thing.

  4. #4
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam83
    I've got a Litespeed carbon fork and I'd like to remove the decals. I tried heating them with a hair dryer and it only seemed to make the fork hot. How long do you have to heat these things? Any chance the decals are clear coated?
    Bad idea
    Quote Originally Posted by SBFixed View Post
    You're a dick, if your bike gets stolen I hope that you don't get a thread.

  5. #5
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople
    Run your finger nail from the fork onto the decal, if you dont feel a bump or change in texture it might be clearcoated. Try wd40 or something similar and a cloth to try and rub it off.

    Are you talking decals or stickers (I imagine decals, because thats what you said and it's carbon so it must be quality)
    Worse idea
    Quote Originally Posted by SBFixed View Post
    You're a dick, if your bike gets stolen I hope that you don't get a thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •