Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need a competent shop to face my disk brake mount

    I've been tolerating the incessant rubbing of my front brake for months now on my newest bike. It is equiped with Magura Julies--hydraulic disks for those that aren't familiar. Anyway, the tabs on the front fork position the brake caliper too far inboard. In other words, shims aren't going to solve the problem rather material needs to be carefully removed from the fork mount to center the caliper over the disk. I've tried all the quick fixes like removing paint from the fork mount and "reseting" the caliper (per Magura's instruction) by holding the disk in place while an assistant squeezes the brake lever. But none of these techniques solve the problem for long.

    I'm practically car free and all of the LBS are not equiped with the tools/skills to perform this surgery on my fork. Thus far I've been unwilling to make a several hundred mile trip to fix this aggrevating problem. My question is could I mail the front wheel and fork and brake to a shop that someone on this forum knew that could do the job correctly? Do I absolutely need to bring in the entire bike to get this corrected? Am I just better off getting a mechanical with more adjustments? Is a new, different brand of fork likely to solve the problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Avalanche325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche
    Posts
    3,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is something for a machine shop, not an LBS, if it is that far off.

  3. #3
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, actually Magura sells a facing tool to bicycle shops that they will not offer to the public for whatever reasons. I've been told by Magura that "competent" shops have this tool. I suppose that makes my local shops that have been around for decades incompetent then?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Avalanche325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche
    Posts
    3,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factory certified incompetent. It dosen't get much better than that.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big thanks! As a road cyclist I'm new to hyd. brakes, and had just about given up on the concept because of the tight tolerances and the crazy squealing. Now I know what to ask for for father's day.

  7. #7
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    5,151
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLuger
    I've been tolerating the incessant rubbing of my front brake for months now on my newest bike. It is equiped with Magura Julies--hydraulic disks for those that aren't familiar. Anyway, the tabs on the front fork position the brake caliper too far inboard. In other words, shims aren't going to solve the problem rather material needs to be carefully removed from the fork mount to center the caliper over the disk. I've tried all the quick fixes like removing paint from the fork mount and "reseting" the caliper (per Magura's instruction) by holding the disk in place while an assistant squeezes the brake lever. But none of these techniques solve the problem for long.

    I'm practically car free and all of the LBS are not equiped with the tools/skills to perform this surgery on my fork. Thus far I've been unwilling to make a several hundred mile trip to fix this aggrevating problem. My question is could I mail the front wheel and fork and brake to a shop that someone on this forum knew that could do the job correctly? Do I absolutely need to bring in the entire bike to get this corrected? Am I just better off getting a mechanical with more adjustments? Is a new, different brand of fork likely to solve the problem?
    I have a facing tool in my shop, but they are only effective for calipers which mount without an adapter bracket. If I am not mistaken, the Magura does mount with a bracket, but this gives you another option. Determine how much you need to move the caliper and take the bracket to a machine shop and have that much milled off the mounting face.
    Dan Burkhart

  8. #8
    Senior Member vw addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
    Posts
    2,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It dosen't take rocket science to figure out how to use a facing tool.

  9. #9
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Julies bolt directly to the fork.

  10. #10
    bicyclist LandLuger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. But it takes a precision tool to face the surfaces perpendicular to the axle.

    Quote Originally Posted by vw addict
    It dosen't take rocket science to figure out how to use a facing tool.

  11. #11
    Senior Member vw addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
    Posts
    2,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLuger
    True. But it takes a precision tool to face the surfaces perpendicular to the axle.
    Sorry the comment was towards Avalanche

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •