Here's what I've tried on two Tufo tires, both with cuts that won't seal (they contain sealant in them):
1 - Super Glue - attempted to simply close the hole, but the carrier in the sealant in conjunction with the inflation pressure (sometimes as low as 40 psi) re-opened the leak.
2 - Super Glued Inner Tube Patch - inflation pressure caused the inner tube material to bubble, then the entire repair gave way as the carrier in the sealant corrupted the bond.
3 - Soft Rubber patch (Elmer's Rubber Cement rolled off of tire after some set-up time) glued in place with inner tube repair cement, and then coated with Super Glue - inflation pressure reached about 90-100 psi, then the Super Glue fractured from the pressure.
I decided to replace my second rear tire with a new one (third)--both first and second rear tires suffering from the same type of cut.
Next, I sacrificed the oldest damaged tire. I cut it open with a pair of scissors and found that the inner tube (F) is NOT bonded to the carcass (E). This is what you would find for a 'normal' tubular tire.
I tried a few different methods to cut the carcass in hopes of reaching the inner tube, but most resulted in a slashed inner tube.
Then, I attempted to cut through the middle of the fabric bound to the base of the bead profile --about three inches. Voila! I was able to, with much care, gain access to the inner tube without inflicting more damage. With a lot of difficulty, I pulled the inner tube completely away from the carcass and twist it so that I could get to the puncture. If I hadn't cut the tire into pieces, I would have been able to patch the hole using an inner tube patch kit.
I pushed the inner tube back into place within the carcass. I made the assumption that I would need to "boot" (insulate) the inner tube from the cut that I made in the bead profile. So I made a boot and placed it in between the inner tube and the bead profile. (I used paper, but may use a cotton strip instead.)
My ideas for sealing were:
- Sew it up. Then, glue some cotton fabric back over the cut I made into the middle of the bead profile. I thought the best glue to use would be something similar to what is used for reconstruction of regular tubular tires--latex emulsion (I think that is what Jobst Brandt recommended in a USENET group)
Just glue the cotton fabric and forget about sewing the carcass.
As soon as I get some fresh blades for my Exacto knife and some latex emulsion, I'll try this process on a tire that I actually want to save.