Here's the short of the situation in a nice easy to follow numbered list:
1) Bought Schwinn Passage with 27" wheels with Schwinn approved Malliard hubs.
2) Decided to replace the 5speed ATOM freewheel with a new 7speed Shimano HG freewheel since I wanted indexed shifting and had 7sp shifters.
3) Test fitted a 6sp freewheel I had on the Schwinn wheel - everything fit fine (was able to get the wheel between the stays).
4) Test fitted a 7sp freewheel on a different wheel (off my Barracuda Mk.I - hub is a low end Shimano) - everything fit fine (was able to get the wheel between the stays).
5) Last night finally got my new 7sp freewheel in, spun it on the Schwinn wheel - and Houston - there is a problem.
- There is probably .5mm of axel bolt showing from beyond the 7sp freewheel. Obviously this is a wee bit too close for comfort and will need a longer axel spacer to keep freewheel from hitting dropout
- The little bit wider freewheel's lock ring hits the chainstay enough to prevent the wheel from sliding up into the dropouts. aka: wheel no go in the slot!
6) Tried to cold set the dropouts a bit to give a little more room to get the wheel up in there with the 7sp freewheel. Must not have done it enough cause its still not working, and in any case won't fix problem #1
1) Attempt to add axel spacers on the freewheel side and redish the wheel.
- Axel may be too short to handle spacers
- May not solve problem #2 w/o additional cold setting
2) Replace the rear wheel with the same type as what is on my 'Cuda which I know will work. The 'Cuda's wheel is in fact sitting at home in the Schwinn's rear dropouts right.
Thoughts, suggestions, laughter at my situation?