Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington DC
Bikes: a fixed gear and a road bike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jockey pulley pops chain off when moving backwards
Hey all! I recently have begun to commute to work on my road bike. I love it and I am really happy with my decision, but it's been a little frustrating as far as maintenance goes. I am not at all mechanically inclined, but I am willing to learn and have thus far been ok. However, recently, I've had problems with my jockey pulley. I tried to search the forums, but I got completely overwhelmed. Also, I didn't see anything about chains slipping when the bike moves backwards. Here are the symptoms:
- jockey pulley cog/wheel shows some signs of stress (there's some wear and tear) - but it's NOT new.
- chain pops off ONLY when I move backwards
- shifting gears is loud and a bit crunchy
- I'm not exactly sure if the derailer lines up because I'm not sure what exactly it should look like when it is "lined up" - that probably means it's not
- won't stay in gear on hills (but I REALLY think that's a different problem; i.e., I need to tighten the shifter wheel doohickies - but it's worth mentioning)
Any ideas? This weekend I was going to take the chain off and clean it really good, check my cable tension, and make sure my shifters aren't on the loose side. I'm pretty intimidated about taking off my derailer, but I guess I gotta learn sometime... Any help would be *really* appreciated.